New to Mac. A few silly questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Dec 26, 2011.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Hello,

A few weeks ago my Dell quit on me for at least the 3rd time this year only to be resuscitated by reistalling Windows and backing up the hard drive AGAIN. :rolleyes:

I kept hinting at wanting the Macbook Pro, so Santa got me a new 17" for Christmas :D And not a minute too soon!

I have always had Windows machines (mostly Dell), so I am new to this OS. We have iPhones and iPads, but the Macbook is a learning curve.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but I did have a few questions to start with.

I have Yahoo IM and I noticed the Chat and main window for it on Mac is not the standard window I had on Windows. It's more Mac loking id you will. Is there a way to get the Yahoo windows to display like they did in Windows?

When typing, how do you go to the beginning (Home) or to the end (End)?

Page Scrolling....Up is down and down is up? Is there a way to make it the other way?

How do you bring up the docking station without minimizing/shrinking the window?

Is there a TABS option for Safari?

Ok, that's all for now. I have more but I'll go easy on you the first time ;)

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe there are themes for that software, but Mac OS X looks different than Windows. What does hinder you with the current look?

CMD + ArrowUp/ArrowDown.

System Preferences > General or Trackpad > Use ... scrolling. I don't have 10.7 to confirm.

Do you mean the Dock?
    [​IMG]

CMD+T opens a new Tab.

To learn more about Mac OS X:

3. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Home and end, as well as page-up and page-down can be done by pressing the fn key and one of the arrow keys (Home is fn-left arrow key, for example)
    Delete can be done by pressing fn-backspace, for that matter. Insert is a key you could miss, to finish the group of keyboard keys. (though it is available on a bigger Apple keyboard)

Reverse scrolling settings can be set up at System Preferences, your Mac-verion of Control Panel. You can find it at the Apple menu at the upperleft of your screen, then at the pane Trackpad, the tab Scrolling and Zooming, the first option named "Scrolling: Natural".

Tabs option for Safari? File > New Tab, is that what you mean? Most shortcut keys from Windows can be done in Mac too, you just need to press Command instead of Control. So Control-T becomes Command-T.

Docking station, just call it Dock, okay? You do mean the bar at the bottom of your screen, don't you? That's called a Dock.
    Standard it's visible, but just like Windows' Start Bar, you can hide it or unhide it. If by any chance it's hidden below the screen, move your cursor to the bottom of the screen, and it appears. To turn off automatic hiding (or turn on hiding, for that matter), right-click on the dotted line next to the Trash.

Right-clicking can be done by tapping the trackpad, as you would do when left-clicking, but with two fingers at once.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

From a long time windows user my best overall advice is Don't "fight" OSX. Seriously. Let it do as much for you as it can. Use the apps that came with OSX (at least to start out with). Allow iTunes to move crap around, Let iMovie nursemaid you. Resist the urge to tweak things (beyond those tweaks easily provided by OSX of course).

Find a task you need to do with your mac and just get on with it. You'll discover all the differences along the way. Google the ones that stump you.

I swear, once I just stopped worrying about what OSX was doing "under the hood" and trying to make it work like Windows life got much easier.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You didn't spend time with your new MBP on Christmas day when you really have time?

Anyway…Don't forgot to thank Santa for your new MBP! :)

6. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

simsaladimbamba,

The standard Yahoo IM program has different options for text, emoticons etc. Command then arrow, got it. I fixed the scrolling too. Oops. Yes, I meant the Dock, not Docking Station. Sorry about that. I work in cable and people are always saying their "Docking station" this and that. Which I know is hardware. Command T, for Tabs. Ok, Thanks!

zeemeerman2,

I was looking to bring up the dock with Safari open, but I have to minimize it to see it. Kind of like what hitting the Windows logo on the keyboard does. With Safari open all the way, when I bring the cursor down, nothing happens. I have hiding turned off.

Krazy Bill,

I'm not looking to change things so much as I am just trying to get comfortable with it. I am more then willing to go with it, but I do have a few preferences that I would like to adjust if I can. Just a few tweaks to make it a little easier for me, but I'm sure I will like the way most of it works once I get the hang of it.

Badrottie,

No. Unfortunately I haven't had much time at all until now to familiarize myself. Just too darn busy. UGH....But now I am trying to slowly work my way through getting used to it and with all this great help, I'm learning more every minute!

Everyone is being so helpful! I have a few more for you.......

Do I need anti virus software? Like Norton.

When I take a program off the dock, where does it go? The programs are already stretched across the whole bottom of the screen. It's getting cluttered.

I came across another desktop with a blurry background and icons. What is this called?

Alt & Tab? This would quickly switch you between apps and windows. Actually, I think CMD/Tab is the same.

Thanks all! I appreciate all your help :)

7. simsaladimbamba

No, as noted in the following FAQ:
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

It gets deleted off the Dock, not actually deleted from the Mac, as the Dock is just a placeholder for shortcuts, like the Start Menu or the Task Bar and the Quick Launch section.

I don't know. Dashboard perhaps?

CMD+TAB is for switching applications, for switching windows, you could use Exposé.

Again, the information found here is a very good start.

8. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

The blurry background with icons is the Launchpad and you access it by hitting F4 or the little rocket icon. It is like iOS... works the same. It will show the contents of your Applications folder.

9. Aliascognito macrumors member

Only because I love the way you laid this all out so simply and easy to follow for a new user, just to confirm 10.7

System Preferences > Trackpad > Scroll & Zoom > Change Scroll Direction to 'Natural'

10. simsaladimbamba

Thanks. What is the standard setting now? "Natural" is the one taken from the iOS devices, isn't it? So unchecking that should give one back the accustomed direction.

11. Aliascognito, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

Aliascognito macrumors member

Assuming you have OS X Lion, you must have Safari in Fullscreen Application Mode. To change this, on the top right of the screen click on the two arrows pointing towards eachother which appear when you move your cursor to the top right corner. This will reduce Safari to a floating window which you should then manually resize to be bigger if you prefer.

No, not that Mac's can't get virus, due to the sandboxing nature of the applications, the only known virus on the Mac (to my knowledge) is disguised as a Flash Installer and requires you to type your password in EVERY time it wants to run.

The dock works by 'pinning' your Application shortcuts. When you remove them, you simply remove the Shortcut.

To find your applications folder:

Cmd+Spacebar > Type "Applications" > Return/Enter button.

If you are running OS X Lion, you have probably performed a 4 finger swipe downwards.
    If not, you have entered Exposé which has been done away with recently. Basically it shows your desktop by hiding all your open windows around the screen.
    You may also have entered 'Launchpad' which shows all your installed Apps. To replicate this, do a closing pinch with 3 fingers and a thumb .i.e. bring them all together.

----------

Yeah, the way I think of it is:

Natural is like a page, to move down the page you put your finger on it and slide it down. (like iOS)

'Unnatural' is like holding the page, and sliding it up the table to view further down the page.

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The "natural" setting is inverted, like iOS. Unchecking "natural" brings back the "normal" scrolling everyone grew up with.

13. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

14. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

You might try getting used to the natural scrolling. When I first downloaded Lion I turned it off right away but eventually turned it back on for some reason. It pissed me off for the first few days because I had to think about it but now it really does feel natural. The only time I get pissed off is when my PC scrolls the wrong direction lol.

15. Aliascognito macrumors member

Here is the 4 finger swipe down screen:
    Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 02.36.34.jpg

And here is my original Desktop view (for comparison):
    Screen Shot 2011-12-27 at 02.36.31.jpg

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not a virus. That's a trojan. There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild.

17. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ok, I see the Launchpad. I'm still not sure where the programs go when deleted from the dock. I tried Cmd+Spacebar but nothing happens. I went to the Go option and I saw the Applications, but now I can't find it. The Go I mean. I opened boot camp and I can't close it. It only minimizes into the dock. There is no option to remove it from there? I assume the dock is similar to the Start menu shortcuts or the task bar shortcuts (Volume, IE, Outlook, IM programs etc) at the bottom of a Windows OS. I guess I am looking for the equivalent option for when you go to Start>Programs. I had started taking things off the dock, but I need to know where these things are going. I probably came across it several times and just don't know it.

I'm probably not thinking clearly at the moment. Need to get some sleep. Back to this tomorrow after work and then I'm off the rest of the week. I should be an expert in no time! ;)

18. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

applications you remove from the dock aren't gone from your computer. The short cut is just gone. You can add and remove what ever you want from there. an easy way to close items such as boot camp form the dock is by "right clicking" it and choosing "close". Items you remove, you can find them in the applications folder which in on the dock also. Or by go to finder and searching the the various folders. Hope that helps.

19. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

You have to "right click" the items by tapping the track pad with 2 fingers if you have the tap on or clicking it with 2 fingers if you haven't. It will take a few days to kick your windows habits. I am actually new to the mac but it is slowly growing on me as my favorite OS and I LOVE doing website design related stuff on it because of apps like Coda.

Pages is growing on me as well as all the other little differences. I like stacks and the simplicity of the "install". I like that the dock shortcuts poof instead of requiring me to empty the trash as well.

I am currently using Adium as my MSN messenger replacement, Textual as my mIRC replacement, Chrome/Firefox/Safari, Coda, and Netbeans. There are some pretty great apps for cheap on the app store if you haven't played around with that yet.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Go in settings and choose Trackpad -> Point and Click -> Secondary Button, and you can set it for the left or right corner of your trackpad instead of two fingers.

[​IMG]

21. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I had typed a reply this morning and I lost it when I clicked on the 12 square icon next to bookmarks (Top sites?). I didn't realize that all I had to do was hit the back arrow to get to the page I was on. This was good though. I learned what I had to do. I really feel like I'm learning computers all over again. Well at least some of it.

I figured out how to get to the 'Go' option. I didn't realize that it changes options in the top left depending on if you click on a program (Safari, iCal etc.) vs. just clicking on the desktop.

I noticed you can have multiple desktops. But if I add a file to a desktop, it duplicates on all. Is there a way to keep files on only one of the desktops? Or different files on different desktops?

Hook'Em2006,

I don't see any Application folder in the dock. When I go to to applications, I can see them, but I don't see all the applications I removed from the dock. Do they all go to the Applications folder? Or do they go to a different folder if it's a document or download?

22. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

If you don't move it to your app folder it's possible that it stays in your download folder unless you got it off the app store. If you did then it is where it needs to be.

23. Aliascognito macrumors member

The easiest way to find any applications that are not in your dock or your applications folders is by running a spotlight search.

cmd+Spacebar:
    Say i'm searching for Toast Titanium which is not in my dockbar...
    Screen Shot 2011-12-28 at 02.29.37.png

Then Toast Titanium appears beside the dimmed word 'Application' showing that it is an application.
    Then click 'Show in Finder' at the top of the spotlight search to open a Finder window with the found items.
    When you do that, right click/Ctrl+Click on the application and choose 'Open Enclosing Folder'. This will open the folder which is up one level from where the application is stored so that you can go into the folder where it is stored.
    Screen Shot 2011-12-28 at 02.31.48.png

Another solution is to right click/Ctrl+Click the application in the finder window, and look at the directory which you can follow to find your application's specific location:
    Screen Shot 2011-12-28 at 02.36.07.png Screen Shot 2011-12-28 at 02.36.18.png

Sorry about the size of the screen shots, i do no know how to resize them...

24. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Did you know that you can sign up for a complementary workshop at your local apple store? Just go on Apple.com and sign up. I did this and they taught me many things about this computer, including OSX Lion. The workshop is about 90 min and they will give you some one-on-one time if you need it.

25. Aliascognito macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/workshops/#workshops_browser_gettingstarted