New to mac: Hate the file browser

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
I hate the way Apple does the file browsing, compared to Windows I cannot use it. Is there any third party app for replace the mac file browser, eg, Windows Total commander.
I got a older Mac Mini and Snow Leopard.
Thank you

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
What in particular do you dislike about it? I suggest giving yourself some time to get used to the different interface. Personally, I find it to be much more intuitive than Explorer.

There are alternatives, but if you can resolve your complaints without buying new software, so much the better.

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
What in particular do you dislike about it? I suggest giving yourself some time to get used to the different interface. Personally, I find it to be much more intuitive than Explorer.

There are alternatives, but if you can resolve your complaints without buying new software, so much the better.
I tried so hard to get used to it for past 2 months but cannot. What alternatives can you recommend.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is below a picture of Total Commander (and an example of what you're looking for on the Mac)?
YIKES!!!! I feel like I just woke up from a nightmare in which I was back on Windows!!!! The horror!!! That's one fugly interface!!! Thank goodness it was just a bad dream!!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Well, if you're looking for something that fugly on Mac, I think you're out of luck. Path Finder is pretty busy and impenetrable, though, so that might be the next best thing.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
When I switched full time to a mac (tiger) almost three years ago there where a few things in finder that I did not like.

1) No Cut and Paste. I still miss this. If it worked in windows -never had problems with - why cant it work in SL.

2) No tabbed finder. Ok, windows xp (that was the last WinOS I used) did not have it either but it would be great to have all the folders opened in the same window.

3) In Xp, you could see files grouped by type. (see image)

Besides that I rather use finder, especially in SL. These are features in SL's Finder that I really think are outstanding like Quickview, renaming files by simply hitting the return key, being able to resize icons on the fly, browse pdf, play files within the icon within a better and clearer user interface.

I find it easier to organize my files than in windows.

Attachments

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I like the way you can see how you went, you know; drive, downloads, movies, etc. You don't have to go back to select the map pictures, it's just there. I find it so much more advanced then Windows with the little browser screen with all it's triangles and long, long lists. Also the colour coding is so nice.

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Personally I like working with files/dirs in Windows then MAC. Its hard for me to help explain. Its easier to navigate folders and copy and paste from folder to folder. Go from to folder its easier.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
1) No Cut and Paste. I still miss this. If it worked in windows -never had problems with - why cant it work in SL.
I don't understand that process. There's no cut/copy+paste taking place. It's a completely different command (move/copy file) with the same keyboard shortcut.

2) No tabbed finder. Ok, windows xp (that was the last WinOS I used) did not have it either but it would be great to have all the folders opened in the same window.
And trying to drag files when every folder is open in one window? Eww. Not everything benefits from being unified. I sure do love the tabbed Terminal in Leopard, though.

3) In Xp, you could see files grouped by type. (see image)
That's neat. I assume you realize that the screenshot is grouping by name, which is bloody useless, but by type could be handy. You can order by type in Finder, though. That's how I have my desktop set up.

... renaming files by simply hitting the return key
In Windows you can rename files with F2.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Personally I like working with files/dirs in Windows then MAC. Its hard for me to help explain. Its easier to navigate folders and copy and paste from folder to folder. Go from to folder its easier.
Just drag and drop to move stuff. With spring-loaded folders and a customizable sidebar, it's pretty easy to navigate and move stuff around. I always find cutting and pasting in Windows slow and annoying.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I agree with the OP. Explorer feels like a breath of fresh air after using Finder for a while. You'll get used to it though. I'm used to it now. I still dont like it, but i've learned to live with the fact that apple thinks we are all idiots and can only handle drag/drop operations.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
@ the fugly screensshot

Exactly the same as using 2 finder windows (and less fugly).

Use list view in OS X.

colourfastt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2009
Did anyone notice that the fugly thing has its menus in the app like a windows application?

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Please drop all the Apple Fanboy stuff. There are things that rock in OSX and bad things. Same goes for Windows. Windows is good too. We live in a world where we need both. So please drop all the I love my MAC stuff. I just dislike the Apple File browser. I'm sure many dislike the one in Windows. But I am looking for a simple alternative and suggestion. I dont want to hear why Windows sucks.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors 604
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I don't understand that process. There's no cut/copy+paste taking place. It's a completely different command (move/copy file) with the same keyboard shortcut.
Let me explain...
Go to the address bar in Safari or Firefox or whatever, and select all or part of it. Then hit command+x. This will CUT the highlighted section from the address bar.

Now, select the Google search box to the right. Hit command+v. This will paste what was just cut, into the search box.

Now, imagine being able to do that for files or folders within Finder. Windows and Linux have had the ability to do this for years, but it's strangely absent on OS X.