New to Mac: Partition Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by camgrant84, Nov 13, 2009.

1. camgrant84 macrumors member

After using Windows for 20+ years I finally ordered an I7 iMac and expect it to be delivered on Monday :D

Couple of questions from a new Mac user:

1. Should I partition my drive? I was considering allocating 100gb to OSX, 100gb to Windows 7 and the remainder to documents. Is this necessary or a waste of time?

2. If I am going to partition it, should I do it from within OSX (is this possible?) or would I be best to do a clean install and create the partitions accordingly from there?

Unrelated question. I was looking at maintenance utilities just for running every now and then. I came across snow leopard cache cleaner. Is this needed? recommended? Or are there other similar/better programs.

Many thanks :)

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There's no real performance advantage of smaller partitions. I would partition what you need for Windows 7, and leave the rest for OS-X (unless it helps you organize).

Use the Boot Camp Assistant to setup the Windows partition. During the install of Windows, you will format that partition - making sure to select the Windows partition, of course (formatting the wrong partition does happen, and it's a bad thing, on the good/bad scale).

You can use Disk Utility for other partitioning needs (if you want to split the OS-X partition and/or resize it, for example). It can also be used to clone your boot partition (and others) using its Restore function (booting from the OS-X install disk and running it from there). To make a bootable image backup of your Bootcamp partition, I strongly recommend WinClone.

I personally don't use cache cleaner apps. The system will automatically schedule normal maintenance tasks.

3. camgrant84 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for such a quick response.

Answers my question perfectly..

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad to help. Enjoy that new gem of a machine!

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I partitioned 32 GB to Windows and left the rest as OS X. Actually, now that I have a 1.5 TB drive, I have 1 TB partitioned for media and the rest split OS X/Windows. How you divvy things up really depends on what you use the partitions for.

Disk Utility can add, remove, and resize partitions from the system partition without needing a restart. It can't change the position of the partition, though. Boot Camp (the system you use to set up a Windows partition) will also repartition your drive for you. In fact, it will refuse to run on a drive that has already been partitioned.

That said, I always reinstall OS X as soon as I get a new Mac, because they ship with a lot of trash that I don't need — language packs and printer drivers and iLife apps and such.

Some people use apps like TechTool, but I've been using Macs for 5 years and have never needed to run any sort of preventative maintenance.

Curse you, beat me to it. I guess that's what I get for wandering off to do something else before replying...

6. camgrant84 thread starter macrumors member

I've heard the quad imacs ship with a custom version of 10.6.2

Would the reinstall disks provide this? Or could I get this different build no off software update?

Thanks

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes (it's on the install discs that come with the Mac) and no (Software Update won't have it).