New to the iphone world--Need Help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fudgecopper, Jan 7, 2011.

1. fudgecopper macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to the iphone world. I have never used text messaging or anything but a simple cell phone to make phone calls and to check voice mails. I am really interested in getting the new iphone because I love the idea of being able to speak to friends and family "face to face." I've also recently jumped on the itunes bandwagon and have begun using that as well, lol. So, I just want to ask you technology savvy people out there how I go about the following scenario:

I have an Att family plan. I just have a cheapo phone that basically does nothing else but makes phone calls. I want to switch to the iphone w/o having to extend my two year contract. I don't qualify for any special discounts to upgrade my phone with them. It makes sense for me to just buy on ebay or craigslist right? Well, lets say I do. What then? Can I just put my current sim card in the new iphone and then start using it? I'm pretty sure I would have to update my plan to include messaging/data plans won't I? Then won't that have to be a 2 year contract anyway?

I am so confused. Someone please help me!

2. leerocks01 macrumors newbie

Better yet, wait a little while Verizon has just confirmed that they will release the iPhone 5 this February.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can buy one from ebay or CL if you dont qualify for an upgrade yet.
    Then you can go to AT&T and have them setup your account with the features and plan you want.
    It will not extent your contract, you will just have to add an iphone data plan to your current account.
    $15 for 200mb or $25 for 2GB per month.

4. fudgecopper thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you so much! I knew I was talking to the right people, lol. It's just so daunting to me from going from basically an old age phone to something so technologically advanced (for me at least :))

5. fudgecopper thread starter macrumors newbie

So come to find out, you can only call face to face with someone if you're in a wireless location. So I couldnt call someone from the mall, when I'm getting my nails done, etc. That sucks. I'm not getting it now and I guess i will wait until a couple of years when they get that technology up an going :( Thanks everyone for the advice though!

6. noiceT macrumors 6502a

You are misinformed. That's only for stock iphone 4.

Jailbreak the phone, and you can facetime over 3G.

It can also easily be done on Skype, Fring, etc.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you jailbreak your iPhone 4 there's ways around that limitation that will enable you to do facetime over 3G and not only thru wifi.

8. fudgecopper thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you jailbreak a phone. It was the att sales rep that told me about only being able to do it over wifi. So, if I jailbreak this phone, i can talk anywhere I am? While I'm getting a pedicure, etc? It only counts as minutes used and data usage? Does it count as more data usage or just the normal amount you would use if you were using the internet?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No minutes, it just uses data from your account. And yes you can use while getting a pedicure or sitting on the toilet:)
    About jb do some research and see what it does and how. There's tons of threads to get some basic info.

10. fudgecopper thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it use an extraordinary amount of data usage though? I was just talking to someone and they were telling me about this but they said that the amount of data usage is insane that you have to use to do this.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not a crazy amount of data.
    I heard about 2-3mb per minute of videocall.

12. noiceT macrumors 6502a

I think in the beginning it will be fun to use and all, but using facetime casually for your everyday type calls is unrealistic I think. It's just not practical in that sense, imo.

If you're talking with loved ones overseas for example, for long periods of time, sitting down some where, it makes great sense.

I think you find out after using it for awhile, it's uncomfortable, and your hand gets tired holding the phone in front of you for an extended period of time.

My advise would be get the iphone 4 regardless. I guarantee you'll find a ton of other things that you will love about the phone rather than simply facetime:D

13. johnson1214 macrumors newbie

PayPal!

PayPal would be the right choice for you, from my side..

14. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

The Skype and Yahoo apps actually work just fine for video calls, and can be used over the 3g network (don't require wireless). The quality is about on par with what I get when I use FaceTime over 3g on my jb'd iPhone. That means don't expect HD picture or anything (and an awful lot better than Qik on the MyTouch 4g...I have both phones, the iPhone is a much better for video chatting, whether over the cell network, or WiFi). There's also a couple other apps for video chatting over the cell network, like Fring and Tangoe.

The cool thing about Skype and Yahoo is that you can go from cell phone to computer as well. Meaning if you want to video chat with someone who doesn't have an iPhone 4, you can as long as they have a computer at home with a webcam and either a Skype or Yahoo account.

If you want an iPhone 4 because of FaceTime, but are disappointed by WiFi only limitation, don't let that deter you. There are several other options that work just as well and function fine without WiFi -- in spite what the T-Mobile ads would have you believe.