New to the Jailbreaking world

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by miniamber, Oct 15, 2010.

1. miniamber macrumors member

I have been so scared to jailbreak my phone but I just talk to somebody from apple and I have a macbook pro that sometimes I don't have internet service places. I can't keep trying to give sprint 70 dollars a month for internet service, so the guy said jailbreak your phone, so I can tether. I been wanting to do this for so long, but I been scared because if I need to take it back to Apple. The guy sound now its so easy to jailbreak and restore it back to manufactured.

All that said can somebody show me where I can get a step to step guide on where do I back my pictures and songs and things up before I jailbreak, how to jailbreak it and how to put it back to the factory product, if something happen.

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It would help to know your phone model and firmware..

3. miniamber thread starter macrumors member

Iphone 4 version 4.0, but i think once I sync the phone it will update, correct?
    Thank for your help and fast response.

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No, a sync doesn't update your phone, it syncs your phone to your computer. Itunes will ask you if you want to update and you can easily so no thank you. On your phone open safari and go to jailbreakme.com. Slide to jailbreak.

5. miniamber thread starter macrumors member

Oh my gosh thank you so much is this all I have to do. When I restore it back what happens to my pictures, do I need to sync first, before doing this. One more question how can I find all the available apps, just go to the app store, things like tethering?

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Before you jailbreak hook your phone to your computer and back it up via itunes. After you are jailbroken you will have cydia on your springboard. This is the JB equivalent of the normal app store you are use to.

7. miniamber thread starter macrumors member

I will be doing this as soon as I get home. I know this is my last question I'm just so confused about when I back it up. If I need to restore don't I just go to something on itunes that says restore back to last back up or something like that?

8. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

If you ever send your phone into Apple or simply want a 100% stock phone again, restore in iTunes but don't restore from a backup. Set it up as a new phone, and it'll be like nothing ever happened. iTunes' automatic backup process can absorb traces of jailbroken data, once you start syncing a jailbroken phone.

9. miniamber thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay will my music and pictures be lost since I set it up like a new one? I'm glad I'm asking all this questions

10. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Glad to help :). Yes, your iPhone will be 100% wiped, but any music and pictures on your iPhone should also exist on your Mac/PC when you sync. If you do a non-backup restore, you can just sync it back over again from your computer.

11. Mac Rookie macrumors member

12. Mac Rookie macrumors member

Thanks this really helped.