New to the whole iPod thing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LAKAILAKAILAKAI, Feb 16, 2009.

1. LAKAILAKAILAKAI macrumors newbie

I'm going to be getting an iPod touch soon and it will be my first iPod ever (coming from the zune camp, the touch is just so attractive) so I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to use iTunes with it or are there other programs that I can sync with?

2. What kind of "apps" are there and what kind are recommended?

3. I've seen people playing playstation, gameboy and super nintendo on the iTouch how do you do this?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Welcome to the boards!

1) iTunes is the only computer application you can use to transfer music and videos to the iPod. Where the media content can come from is a different story. You can "rip" songs from CDs, use amazon.com downloaded music, or music from the iTunes store. Video content can also come from a variety of sources. Music purchased from the iTunes store cannot be transferred to other music players.

2) There are 20 categories of "apps" to be found in the App Store. To be perfectly honest there isn't a whole lot of organization because it seems like the developer gets to tag it to whatever category they feel like. You can quite easily range from the "This is a novelty app that I may use once" to the "Wow...I am going to use this every day" in the same category.

3) I don't think there are any emulators for consoles on the iPod touch. There are games that may mirror the gameplay of well known games, Lux for RISK, BattleatSea for Battleship, etc. and also games like Super Monkey Ball and Spore Origins, that are ports of console games or altered versions.

3. ClockworkPlum macrumors member

ClockworkPlum

You can download emulators from Cydia, but to get Cydia, you'll have to jailbreak it.

4. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

No, read JediMeister's answer.

6. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh I missed that sentence

7. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

8. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

So can someone explain how homebrew works on this?

9. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, and could someone recommend some good cases for it?

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I use the SwitchEasy NeoTouch and I love it. It fits very well and feels good in the hand. Also, I think it looks better then most of the other cases out there.

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/NeoTouch/NeoTouch.php#

Also, most important, make sure you get a screen protector. I got mine from www.bestskinsever.com and it should run you under $10 and it will protect your screen from getting scratched.

11. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

That case looks kind of like the one I was thinking of getting
    (The Incipio Technologies SILICRYLIC) do you have any experience with that one since it is cheaper after all

I found two listings one amazon for used ones

$191.57 and $4.99 for a jailbroken 2G ipod touch 8GB
    $194.99 for used one with "light to moderate cosmetic blemishes" and free shipping

Is it safe to buy a jailbroken one? That means I can play emulators and homebrew on it correct?

12. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Don't buy a jailbroken one. If you want to jailbreak it you can do it yourself for free. Try to find one that is relatively new and still under warranty.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure what you mean by "homebrew." Could you clarify?

14. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I know that technically all of the apps are homebrew, but I mean ones like the emulators and all that. The ones that you have to hack the touch to get them onto it.

I heard about something called redsn0w and it being semi-tethered and all that

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Uh... It sounds like you are really intereseted in playing games, and if so, I'd suggest you try out the ones available through the app store first. There are plenty of free ones you can get, and really, the best games nowadays are in the app store -- it just might be enough to satisfy your needs that you don't have to go through the hacking process.

Yes, there is something called redsn0w, and yes, it is semi-tethered at the moment, and that is the only jailbreak available for the 2nd generation Touch at the moment. And I really wouldn't recommend anyone trying that unless they are extremely comfortable with their Touch and how it operates. So just get the Touch, get to know it, learn how it works with iTunes and the app store, and then maybe by that time there will be a simpler, non-tethered jailbreak available for the 2nd gen.

16. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright

Yeah, my DS broke awhile ago and I never bothered to replace it and once I played some games on the touch I decided I would get one since it has real world applications/games/music playing.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Music you buy from iTunes Music Store can be transferred onto other media players. I recently purchased a BlackBerry Pearl, and put some of my music onto it. The iTunes Music Store recently transitioned from DRM protected music to DRM-free music.

18. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

After watching some video reviews on youtube I settled on the switcheasy case, does anyone know if the screen protectors for it are good or should I buy some different ones?

Oh, and sorry if I'm being kind of annoying here with all the questions

19. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Is this still the case I thought in these drm free days this was allowed.

Jakeblu

20. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

if you get the new 2nd gen ipod touch, it is VERY complicated to jailbreak it. the stuff you get from the jailbreak isnt worth the work you'll have to do to get to it, ESPECIALLY since your new to ipods

21. LAKAILAKAILAKAI thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I'll get it now and just wait until it's simplified and easy to do

22. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

1. yes

2. thousands. any app you can think of. i like super monkey ball and jellycard

3. you have to jailbreak to do this. youtube.com/user/tysiphonehelp has good videos on it

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Playing emulated games like PS, Gameboy, etc drains your battery and is illegal to do unless you own a copy of the game.

There are 15,000 apps according to Apple in the App Store. There are drawing apps, note-taking apps, games (crapload of them), radio apps, pretty much anything you can think of.

24. bradmillerfan52 macrumors newbie

Is going on the internet on a 1st gen ipod touch free?
    and does it cost money to download apps on a 1st gen ipod touch?
    I had read that it does cost money but I also read that it's free.
    :confused:

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You have to pay for whatever wireless Internet you are on, unless it is your neighbor's (or anywhere's) open network.
    Yes and also no.
    They are both correct.