Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mythical36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
First of all thanks for anyone acknowledging my thread. I'm a first time poster.

My question was regarding a purchase between the 2.7ghz and the 3.1ghz.

Primarily used for photography editing and HD video editing. Nothing anything in regards to professional editing. Just personal hobby.

Which version would you guys recommened? I'm just listening to advice before I make a purchase. The 3.1ghz would save me $250-300. Thanks guys

And sorry of there are similar threads like this.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Here's a link to some benchmark test for various iMac models:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2011/05/imac-benchmarks-mid-2011/

Obviously the higher end models are going to perform faster, but if you're just doing video editing for a hobby, any of the models would work for you. If encoding takes slightly longer, it's not the end of the world with a hobby.

And for photography, either of the models will work well. Just make sure you get some more RAM (from someone other than Apple). You can get a 2x4 GB ram kit (for a total of 12 GB in your iMac) for about $40 from a reputable ram seller.

Mythical36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Here's a link to some benchmark test for various iMac models:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2011/05/imac-benchmarks-mid-2011/

Obviously the higher end models are going to perform faster, but if you're just doing video editing for a hobby, any of the models would work for you. If encoding takes slightly longer, it's not the end of the world with a hobby.

And for photography, either of the models will work well. Just make sure you get some more RAM (from someone other than Apple). You can get a 2x4 GB ram kit (for a total of 12 GB in your iMac) for about $40 from a reputable ram seller.

Thank you! Im fortunate to have the money to afford the 3.1ghz but if I can't save money and still have almost the same performance, I don't mind settling for the 2.7ghz. I think I'll go that route and pick up an additional 8gb of ram.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
As noted in my signature I have a 3.4Ghz - the speed is definitely noticeable if you go the full monty but it really depends on the applications you use and whether they're fully optimised for multi-core. What applications are you going to be using?

Mythical36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
As noted in my signature I have a 3.4Ghz - the speed is definitely noticeable if you go the full monty but it really depends on the applications you use and whether they're fully optimised for multi-core. What applications are you going to be using?

Applications such as Lightroom, cs5 and iMovie. I just purchasedtrue 2.7ghz new w/ 4gbx2 Crucial RAM for $1641 next day shipped online. 5mins ago. Kinda needed a Mac now since my PC crapped out. Didn't feel like waiting for the 2012. Whenever that comes out.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I have the 2009 2.66 i5. I use Lightroom for editing 30MB Canon 5DmkII files, and sometimes Photoshop. It all works very smooth, so I think the latest model 2.7 i5 will be fully up for the task.

BTW, I have 4GB extra RAM (for a total of 8GB).

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I just purchasedtrue 2.7ghz new w/ 4gbx2 Crucial RAM for $1641 next day shipped online.
Enjoy the new iMac.

When I was looking at iMacs at the store the 27" didn't look all that big, but I think they expand when they get home. I had a 22" display before and the difference is pretty drastic.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
OP I'm in the same boat, but I shoot professionally.

I just sold my 2.3GHZ i7 Quad-Core MacBook Pro to go the iPad3 and iMac route.

My travel laptop (PC) is a Toshiba SSD, 2.6GHz i5 2560 & 8GB Ram and its plenty fast for what you mentioned, knowing this I decided the 2.7ghz i5 iMac is plenty fast enough, especially if you do the BTO with SSD which is what Ill be doing, I'll also user upgrade to 16GB RAM.

I'd recommend the base 2.5GHz i5 or 3.1GHz, not the i7 unless you do heavy video rendering.

Mythical36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012

My travel laptop (PC) is a Toshiba SSD, 2.6GHz i5 2560 & 8GB Ram and its plenty fast for what you mentioned, knowing this I decided the 2.7ghz i5 iMac is plenty fast enough, especially if you do the BTO with SSD which is what Ill be doing, I'll also user upgrade to 16GB RAM.

I'd recommend the base 2.5GHz i5 or 3.1GHz, not the i7 unless you do heavy video rendering.

Thx for that advice! I'm completely new note whole Mac scene an I've heard about the BTO with SSD but have no idea what is is really. Maybe I should read up on it. All I know is that itll make the machine faster.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I always recommend getting the fastest machine you can afford. $200.00 for i7 is nothing for the 40-100% speed increase it can net from certain apps. i5 is only the same in games and other system bound apps. Why buy low for specifics. SW gets more complex as time moves on wouldn't it be better to use for 3+ years? The i7 will also most likely retain it's value over time.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010

That iMac is slower in pure processor speed than the MBP you sold. Weird.

MBP 2.3GHz: 10316
iMac 2.7GHz i5: 7863

You DO get 3.5" HDD though. Obviously there are other things to consider. But ???.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
That iMac is slower in pure processor speed than the MBP you sold. Weird.

MBP 2.3GHz: 10316
iMac 2.7GHz i5: 7863

You DO get 3.5" HDD though. Obviously there are other things to consider. But ???.

I am aware, I didn't need a TB display MBP when I dont travel as much as I thought, and I dont do anything but day to day and photoshop for hours. If my Lenovo T420s is plenty (which is slower than the i5 quad-core iMac) then the i5 iMac would suffice for my needs, but I refuse to go back to a HDD over SSD.

I will do a BTO option w/ SSD over a CPU upgrade any day.

----------

I always recommend getting the fastest machine you can afford. $200.00 for i7 is nothing for the 40-100% speed increase it can net from certain apps. i5 is only the same in games and other system bound apps. Why buy low for specifics. SW gets more complex as time moves on wouldn't it be better to use for 3+ years? The i7 will also most likely retain it's value over time.

this could also be a waste of money if its overkill for your needs. Why live beyond your means? To brag? :rolleyes:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
It's a question of longevity and what time is worth. Nothing more.

----------

this could also be a waste of money if its overkill for your needs. Why live beyond your means? To brag? :rolleyes:

Your needs will change in 2 years as SW becomes less responsive and you may want to upgrade to 10.8 or 10.9.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
It's a question of longevity and what time is worth. Nothing more.

----------

Your needs will change in 2 years as SW becomes less responsive and you may want to upgrade to 10.8 or 10.9.

True, but how many people keep a machine for 2-3 years? I dont. I sell after 2 tops and refresh, if the OP does this as well then maxing out is a waste of $. Its not like the i5 is a slouch.

Mythical36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
I know iPhones hold a good resell vale because I've sold quite a few off Craigslist but how resale value on iMacs?

Yeah I decided to go w the 27" 2.7 and picked up an additional 8gb of ram. Decided to save that extra $300 from getting the 3.1 and use it towards software.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I know iPhones hold a good resell vale because I've sold quite a few off Craigslist but how resale value on iMacs?

Yeah I decided to go w the 27" 2.7 and picked up an additional 8gb of ram. Decided to save that extra $300 from getting the 3.1 and use it towards software.

Cool. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

If it were me, I'd have done as derbothaus suggested, and gone postal on the hardware-side. There's nothing more likely to inspire remorse than running into a hardware bottleneck when you know you could've done better. At least, in my opinion.

But still. Great computer. It'll treat you well.

Mythical36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Cool. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

If it were me, I'd have done as derbothaus suggested, and gone postal on the hardware-side. There's nothing more likely to inspire remorse than running into a hardware bottleneck when you know you could've done better. At least, in my opinion.

But still. Great computer. It'll treat you well.

Well guys, I ended up cancelling my 2.7ghz order and went w/ the 3.1ghz for $1894 shipped. I had remorse haha. If I'm going to invest on my first Mac, might as well go big!! But not big enough for the I7 because thats out of my range. But I didnt cancel the 4gbx2 RAM. Haha.

Thanks for the help everyone. It arrived tomorrow.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Well guys, I ended up cancelling my 2.7ghz order and went w/ the 3.1ghz for $1894 shipped. I had remorse haha. If I'm going to invest on my first Mac, might as well go big!! But not big enough for the I7 because thats out of my range. But I didnt cancel the 4gbx2 RAM. Haha.

Thanks for the help everyone. It arrived tomorrow.

I hope you didnt get the ram through apple :\ its roughly 300% over priced. You could get 16GB and diy for less than apple charges for 8GB.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
True, but how many people keep a machine for 2-3 years? I dont. I sell after 2 tops and refresh, if the OP does this as well then maxing out is a waste of $. Its not like the i5 is a slouch.

I see the discreptancy now. I use mine for 3-4 Years. The $250.00 or so extra covers my extra year easily. And less e-waste.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
I see the discreptancy now. I use mine for 3-4 Years. The $250.00 or so extra covers my extra year easily. And less e-waste.

Wife and I both used our 2007 iMacs for about 4 years and had no problems doing the work we did on them. Music, Video, Photo, some gaming...

Now we upgraded to the i5 and bumped the memory up to 16GB and 8GB and the kids have our old ones.

I would say quite a lot of people keep computers for 3+ years.

OP grats on the new iMac. I know you will love it!!!

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
You know you might want to cancel that order again :D

Look here: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

This is the refurbished section of the apple store. These machines are pretty much brand new. Some people say they are better than the ones you buy normally because they had been tested down to every little component and anything that is not 100% is replaced. I Have several refurbs and they are flawless.

Any way, you can get a 3.4 i7 for less than what you paid for your 3.1 i5 :) or you can get the 3.1 for pretty much the same price as the 2.7 i5.

You might want to look at that and reconsider. Im amazed no one else brought up the refurb models.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
You know you might want to cancel that order again :D

Look here: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

This is the refurbished section of the apple store. These machines are pretty much brand new. Some people say they are better than the ones you buy normally because they had been tested down to every little component and anything that is not 100% is replaced. I Have several refurbs and they are flawless.

Any way, you can get a 3.4 i7 for less than what you paid for your 3.1 i5 :) or you can get the 3.1 for pretty much the same price as the 2.7 i5.

You might want to look at that and reconsider. Im amazed no one else brought up the refurb models.

I wish refurb models had SSDs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.