New Trackpad MBP 2016 15" - Can't Drag and Drop & Weird Clicking Noise!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucidIllusion, Nov 19, 2016.

1. LucidIllusion macrumors newbie

I just opened my new MacBook Pro 15 inch with touch bar and have two questions with the new trackpad:

1. I can't for the life of me drag and drop a file on the screen. It does some weird attempt, where it'll move the file for a quarter inch of the screen, the set it back down. The other half of my attempts result in it opening the file. Is this a physical defect or am I missing out on some new setting or something (this is my first time in Sierra too btw).

2. Every time I click it has this weird click noise that sounds like a small spring. I know my old MacBook Pro had a click noise, but this sounds a bit different and strange. Normal or not?

Thank you everyone!

2. NickMcCandless macrumors regular

I am also having similar problems, very frustrating. Anyone else?

3. nickelanddime macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---
    1. Have you set this up?
    System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Mouse and Trackpad (Left Pane) -> TrackPad Options. Enable the flag "Enable Dragging" and choose the option you want. I have it set to 'Without Drag Lock'

2. Both my 13" TB and 15" TB make the same noise. I believe its expected behavior.

4. MikeThicke macrumors member

MikeThicke

Turning off "Force Click and haptic feedback" might help. I found with this on that most of the time I'd try to drag I'd instead force click. Turning this off solved the problem for me.

5. ldamp macrumors newbie

I received my MacBook today and I have exactly the same issue. What I noticed is that drag at drop is working without problems when I use the right side of the trackpad. The left side is sometimes working and sometimes not. Can you guys let me know if you are facing the same? So that the right side is working without problems.

6. rbwilli macrumors newbie

I was just having this problem on my new MBP 13" running 10.12.2, and it was driving me nuts; trying to drag and drop a file didn't work most of the time, even when carefully controlling the amount of pressure I put on the trackpad. MikeThicke's suggestion to do [System preferences > Trackpad > turn off "Force Click and haptic feedback"] worked for me!

7. Bob Enyart macrumors newbie

Bob Enyart

THANK YOU nickelanddime. I spent weeks unable to drag and drop on my brand new MBPro. How can this POSSIBLY not be the default setting?

8. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

Could someone explain what exactly the option described by nickelanddime does? I just tried it and can't for the life of me tell a difference with it being on or off.

Drag and drop works like it should on my machine (even before I even knew that Accessibility-option existed), so I must be missing something..

9. Bob Enyart macrumors newbie

Bob Enyart

If I were you Mefisto, I would: 1) just be happy. And 2) change my avatar.

10. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

Well then, it's a good thing I am!

And no, the Captain stays thank you very much.

11. crhoads1024, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

crhoads1024 macrumors newbie

crhoads1024

Thanks for the tip,

I tried this and it still will not allow me to drag and drop. Any other options?
    New 15" MacBookPro as of 3.15.17

Why would they do this??

Driving me crazy!

Also noticed I can drag and drop within the dock but not within any file structure.

12. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Did you try what's in post #4?

13. crhoads1024 macrumors newbie

crhoads1024

I did actually.

To resolve my issue as changing the Accessibility > Mouse & TrackPad > Trackpad Options > Enable Dragging > Used all 3 settings and no dragging and dropping occurred.

Got on chat with Apple Support and they had me reboot.

A simple reboot worked.

14. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

@nickelanddime, you are a ROCK STAR in my world right now. Can't believe the fix was so simple; thanks for saving the day. :::enthusiastic applause:::

15. MrsMacLawyer macrumors newbie

MrsMacLawyer

This worked perfectly! Thank you!

16. widgetball macrumors newbie

So when you have the haptic feedback turned on and you click and hold on an item (to drag it) it feels like there is a little machine gun rapid firing underneath the trackpad, like it can't get hold of what you're trying to grab and it's trying really hard over and over again and it makes it REALLY difficult to drag with precision...or do anything design-related.

I have no idea why this functionality would be turned on by default. I just spent the last month with my new MacBook thinking that I might have to sell it and get an old MacBook with a better trackpad. Finally the problem is fixed!

17. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

^I've since figured out what the issue was, but thanks for clearing it up once more!

18. Velocello macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    After I set up my 2017 MacBook pro with touch bar, I had the same problem. Having no documentation with my new purchase, I knew nothing about 'force click' . Every time I clicked on a file on my desk top to drag it, it opened the file and would not drag. By accident, I discovered that just a light click, allowed dragging. This link at Apple Support explains the, new to me, concept of 'force clicking'. I hope this addresses your problem.

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I set force click to the stiffest setting as force clicking was canceling my drags, which was getting super frustrating.

20. Jenny-Bird macrumors newbie

Jenny-Bird

Thank you SO SO SO much for the trick on how to turn my click and drag back on with my new macbook pro. The lack of "click and drag" was very frustrating due to my online school work requiring me to "click and drag" assignments onto the page. THANK YOU!!!!

21. Darkashnet macrumors regular

Darkashnet

I was wondering if something was wrong... this fixed it! Thanks.

22. psymps macrumors member

psymps

Anyone know how to remove the 1 second delay when releasing your finger after dragging when "Without Drag Lock" is enabled in the accessibility settings?

23. pbjwelch macrumors newbie

This solved my problem but it took me a long time to find where this was located. Here's where you find it: Apple Menu-System Preferences/Point & Click/bottom of page, "Force Click and haptic feedback". Thanks for the great help; I had a new MacBook Pro and was going crazy trying to move files by copying/pasting. Poor default settings, Apple!