New Unibody Transporting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagicMouse, Feb 17, 2010.

?

What kind of MBP carrying bag do you prefer?

1. Messenger Bag Style

44 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Hard case

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Backpack

33 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Just a sleeve

28 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I would just like to get an idea of the overall opinions of the MacBook Pro users in this forum.

I am getting a 17 inch and am having a very hard time choosing a bag to carry it that I trust.

So feel free to input what bags you have and what bags you would get if you could!

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

I have the Incase Nylon Bag, it's perfect for me.

3. mac88 macrumors 6502

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I usually spin mine on my finger whilst I'm walking..... because that's how I roll.

But really....I use an Incase messenger-style bag.... the one they sell at the Apple Store.

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

How about this.

I have a sleeve that I keep in a laptop bag.

I take no risks with my precious. :D

6. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

I have a perfect couple for my MBP 17:
    an axio softbag which is really cool as it is designed vertical and not too baggy, but still has place for all the stuff you need to carry around with you: adapter, power plug, mouse, mobile, book, cables etc.:
    http://axioluggage.com/slingbag.html

perfectly snugging into the axio bag is this hardsleeve from booq:
    http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/17mbp/Vyper-XL2
    other hardsleeves I have experienced are much too big in size, this one is very close to the shape of the mbp itself without adding inches to the sides.

was was important to me: beeing able to open the zippers fully around, not only half way like many softsleeves do.
    (there is also a hardsleeve from axio, but I think it looks ugly - you can see it in the pictures on the linked site above - but I dont doubt if it fits as a 17 "in the bag. I think they combine this bag with a (big!) 15" hardsleeve, not a 17". But with the booq sleeve, you can put a 17" with double protection in.

so I can combine these two in every way I want: sometimes I just take the hardsleeve, sometimes only the bag (but no, I very rarely do that) mostly I take the combination of both: it fits so well it seems like it is made for each other. I can easily slide the mbp into and out of the two without any hassle, as they stick together quite well.

this combination is good looking, really protective but still light and not too bulky. Oh, and the price was quite nice, too. Both together for much less than what I'd pay for a crumpler bag or else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cspek macrumors newbie

8. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Really nice combination! Like both.

I use an eastpack provider, as I needed a backpack with lots of space. Not huge still though, just expandable if I need to shove loads of books in. I take my laptop in this every day and it's well padded in the specifically built laptop compartment, which is suspended above the bottom so it's not touching the floor.

9. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

For general carrying around I use my Crumpler Gimp Sleeve but when I need all my goodies with me I put the Crumpler in my Booq Boa which comfortably has space for the Laptop, Power Cables, External Hard Drives, Note pads and files, pens etc, etc... Here's the link: http://www.booqbags.com/Laptop-Bags/Boa-case/Boa-case-L

Its not a cheap bag but its really great and it even has a story... I was working on a project where one of our vehicles was being towed to location over bad roads on a flatbed trailer. So me and anther colleague figured that the safest place for our laptops would be in that vehicle. We arrived at the next town only to hear the news that the vehicle being towed had been in an accident and had rolled (Trailer and all) on a dirt road.

When I got my Laptop back, not a scratch and although the front windscreen of the vehicle had smashed in even the bag was fine with no glass cuts or any signs of wear or tear. So I now swear by it and recommend paying that little bit extra to keep your belongings safe.

The only gripe I have is that you cannot lock the zipper compartments like some laptop bags can.

10. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

I have the BOOQ Vyper sleeve that someone posted a few posts up.

it is AMAZING.

get it.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use a brief case style from waterfield. It's no longer available (I bought a couple laptops ago) but it's a great case. Waterfield (sfbags.com) makes great cases

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

waterfield vertical case sleeve(horizontal pictured below) and stm backpack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sace macrumors member

Incase sleeve, and my Haglöfs Tight backpack :)

14. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

15. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

Hi

I carry around my 17 MBP in a north face surge. Its a tight fit but it works and is very practical and comfortable.

be careful if you buy anything on the net and make sure the size fits. Also beware of anything with side openings as it seems to be the biggest cause of MBP damage on the forums. fyi - the NF surge opens from the top

16. mcruzader macrumors regular

Yes, I use one of these and its a great bag with a lot of space.

17. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

18. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use Booq Boa Slimcase

Attached Files:

19. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I have the timbuk2 Q backpack. It has a great laptop compartment.

[​IMG]

20. 7even macrumors 6502a

Regular backpack + zeroshock III sleeve that rarely leaves the backpack.

21. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

that's sort of what i'm looking for.. is the outer shell plastic/resin coated or otherwise sawdust resistant? how about a light rain?

i always have a laptop out on the jobsite and i'm looking for better protection than my current setup..

so far, i'm leaning towards this:
    http://www.radtech.us/Products/MacTruck.aspx

but the booq hardsleeve price is looking much more attractive..

thanks for any info

22. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I'm about this sleeve but i've been looking at it for quite awhile, thinking about taking the leap and buying as it's not nearly as expensive as the incase sleeves.

http://www.colcasac.com/original.html

23. SWC macrumors 6502

While I don't own this it looks like its just a fabric coating. I would say its probably very light rain resistent and as for sawdust seems like it would protect it from getting to the laptop but the case would get dirty and gray.

24. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII