Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Universal Movies Will Come to iTunes and Other Online Platforms Just 17 Days After Theatrical Release

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Future movies from Universal Pictures will come to online platforms like iTunes and Apple TV just 17 days after a theatrical release following a deal between Universal and AMC Theaters, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Under the terms of the deal, the theatrical window for new movies will be shortened to 17 days from the current 75 days, so viewers will be able to watch new titles online as soon as 2.5 weeks after they first appear in theaters.

During the pandemic, Universal had been experimenting with offering movies online while they're still in theaters, which AMC was not happy with. Universal's digital release of "Trolls World Tour" in the early months of the coronavirus was a success, earning more than $100 million in three weeks, and spurring the company to further experiment with digital releases.

Movie theaters have been closed, but AMC said that if Universal released new movies direct to digital platforms, it would not show new Universal releases. With the new 17-day theatrical release window, however, the dispute between the two companies has been settled.

According to The Wall Street Journal, this deal for shorter theatrical releases between AMC and Universal Pictures could put pressure on rivals of both companies to establish similar online release timelines.

AMC Chief Executive Adam Aron said that AMC will have an opportunity to generate additional revenue by offering new Universal films on its AMC Theaters on Demand platform. New Universal titles will also be released on digital platforms like Apple TV and Amazon.

While theaters are shut down due to the coronavirus, movie studios have been delaying releases. "Tenet," "The Quiet Place 2," "Mulan," and countless other titles have seen continual delays. Some other movies have been released directly online, which more studios may be forced to do if the movie theater shutdowns continue.

Article Link: New Universal Movies Will Come to iTunes and Other Online Platforms Just 17 Days After Theatrical Release

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Some movies are still way better in theaters. I don’t mind paying $20, as long as it is an A run movie. Most of the movies lately are junk.
It has been several years since I went to the theater. The last time was when Turner Classic Movies was hosting a showing of Casablanca in select theaters across the U.S. It was great to see on the big screen and intersect with fellow audience members.

I agree with you, though. Most movies and shows today are junk.
[automerge]1595975084[/automerge]
So the $8 drinks and $10 popcorn at the theater is OK with you though? $20 is a steal if you have a large family at home!
Unless I am on date with a lady, I don’t buy anything extra at the movie theater.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Kentucky
I like the idea of quick release movies. What i don’t like is the price tag of $20+ dollars. In my opinion, that is too expensive.

Depends on how you see it. For example, I paid $20 to get a movie that the whole family watched, and it was a lot cheaper than going to the theater as we had our own snacks already. On the other hand, I refused to pay $20 for a movie I was only mildly interested in and only I would be watching. If it was a movie I am dying to see, I would drop the $20 no matter if its just me or the family.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Depends on how you see it. For example, I paid $20 to get a movie that the whole family watched, and it was a lot cheaper than going to the theater as we had our own snacks already. On the other hand, I refused to pay $20 for a movie I was only mildly interested in and only I would be watching. If it was a movie I am dying to see, I would drop the $20 no matter if its just me or the family.
Valid point for those with a family. I agree in that regard.

I have a 85” 4K tv so, it will take a lot for me to pay $20 at the theater by myself.

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I like the idea of quick release movies. What i don’t like is the price tag of $20+ dollars. In my opinion, that is too expensive.
That’s way less that 2 or 4 tickets to a movie theater. You’re not going to get “close to day of release” movies without movie theater ticket-like prices. Thinking otherwise is foolish.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
That’s way less that 2 or 4 tickets to a movie theater. You’re not going to get “close to day of release” movies without movie theater ticket-like prices. Thinking otherwise is foolish.
Then I wait until a movie is on sale at the theater or watch it at home. $20 for me to go see a movie that probably wont last 2hrs is a lot.

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Then I wait until a movie is on sale at the theater or watch it at home. $20 for me to go see a movie that probably wont last 2hrs is a lot.
And that is an entirely reasonable, for you.

Personally, I much prefer to see blockbuster movies on the big screen (no home system is big, compared to a good theater screen), preferably on opening night. I like the spectacle, and the ritual of it, a treat for the senses (I miss the old enormous thousand seat theaters of days gone by). With the current state of the world, though, I can’t imagine stepping foot into an indoor theater with a bunch of random other people, any time this year. Maybe next year.

This is a perilous point for movie theaters and the movie industry. You can’t reasonably crowd people into theaters now, and you can fund $100-$200-million dollar films without getting that enormous box office the first week. And you can’t make it up with day-of home releases (unless you can get everyone to sign on to $50+ day-of home rentals, and many, like you, will balk at $20+ home rentals). And theaters will die off if you even attempt to do day-of rentals.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
So the $8 drinks and $10 popcorn at the theater is OK with you though? $20 is a steal if you have a large family at home!

I personally prefer watching new movies in theaters, especially blockbusters in IMAX. Before the pandemic I paid $20 a month for 3 movies a week using AMC A list and never bothered to buy their food. $20 to rent a single movie at home isn’t worth it to me.

Antes

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2014
Well... I guess this means saying goodbye to any movie that isn’t a heavily promoted “blockbuster”.
Theaters aren’t going to waste that small time frame and much theater space for those smaller budget indies or comedies.
‘Send it straight to digital— at discount’ they’ll say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.