New Unlocked iPhones Undercutting Resale Value?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocolatemilty, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Now that Apple will be selling unlocked iPhones, even at that exorbitant price, do you think doing so will start to circumvent resales of baseband-hacked unlocked iPhone 4s? I know many people will continue to buy them via eBay, Craigslist, Amazon etc. slightly used and unlocked because of the price, but considering the ones Apple are now selling are unlocked without worrying about baseband updates and whatnot, that added peace of mind may drive a good amount of people to pay that full price.

I also feel that a good amount people will be selling their current iPhone 4s and using those funds to buy an unlocked one. We could be seeing more iPhone 4s for sale in the resale marketplace.

Just wondering what you all think!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think it'll affect resale value of iPhones, but I'm not sure how. My guess is that your iPhone will sell for cheaper when you come around to selling it since now anyone can get a hold of an iPhone (ie, they don't need to be an AT&T/Verizon account holder).

On the other hand, resale value might not be affected at all (especially if the AT&T/T-Mobile merger goes through) since there won't be many GSM options left in the United States anyways.

I'm not the person who sells their iPhone every time there is a new phone so I'm not too concerned with resale value. I think $200 for 2 years of iPhone is well worth it (and whatever you get back from selling it is a bonus).

What's really dumb is, unlike countries in Europe, we pay the same price on our monthly bill whether we buy the phone full price or if we buy it subsidized and sign a contract : confused:

3. Centient macrumors 6502

I think folks who were making a mint on selling these phones unlocked will have to reset their expectations. For the average guy/gal who is looking to flip their one phone, and isn't looking to skin folks in the process, will probably be okay.

4. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Precisely. I can still pay for my upgrade by selling my iPhone 4 for a reasonable price. I'm not trying to fleece anyone.