Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
After updating to 2.0.2, my GPS locks in within 3 seconds when it used to take up to a minute from the same location. Everything in snappier as well.

Anyone else notice the GPS works better?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think the improvement that you are noticing has anything to do with GPS. I have a 1st gen, and the Google Maps App locates me a lot quicker as well, sans GPS.

On a side note, I wish MacRumors had a filter that would remove the word "snappier" from every post. It's so over.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Sorry sparky, but with the 2.0.2 update my GPS no longer locks in at all.

2.0.1 worked fine as did the original 2.0. But now all I get is the dreaded circle / crosshair that gives me about a half block.

It used to lock in and give a pulsating pin at my location.

So it didn't fix it for everyone, some of us it made it not work.

mizelly41

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Illinois
Sorry sparky, but with the 2.0.2 update my GPS no longer locks in at all.

2.0.1 worked fine as did the original 2.0. But now all I get is the dreaded circle / crosshair that gives me about a half block.

It used to lock in and give a pulsating pin at my location.

So it didn't fix it for everyone, some of us it made it not work.

Same here. In 2.0.1 I would get the pin within (at the most) 10 seconds. Since the update, I haven't seen the pin once.

odp1979

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Florida
The update has nothing to do with your GPS issues. Since you restarted your phone, it probably just refreshed everything a little.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
The update has nothing to do with your GPS issues. Since you restarted your phone, it probably just refreshed everything a little.

I disagree, I do many restarts and full reboots to clean things up from time to time and this is the first time that the GPS is consistently connection within 3 seconds in places that it would take forever to connect.

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
yah it doesnt even find my location, i get the circle crosshair thing but its off by a mile at least, and I think its giving a perimiter around a cell tower nearby not my actual location

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
2.0.1 made my GPS lock on much faster than previous (~5 seconds vs ~15 seconds), increased the accuracy noticeably, and also increased the smoothness of the tracking.

2.0.2 seems to have the same lock on speed, but has further increased the accuracy. Smoothness seems the same. Only problem now is that my maps program is funky. Doesn't seem to close out right, hangs a little when closing and opening. Kinda strange.

richg916

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
:confused:
Didn't fix my problem with GPS. It works just as it did before the update. While at work (Sacramento Intl Airport) it still shows me at the Burbank Airport.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, you know what. I just tried it for the first time after updating and it does seem faster. Matter of fact, near instant! I'm indoors so I don't blame it for not pinpointing me but as soon as I clicked it got my general location to a pretty small circle.

I'm gonna test it some more on my way home, but yes, it does seem much faster!

:eek: :D

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
For what it's worth --

I decided to give GPS a go here in the office (large building, North Toronto) after reading this thread. Usually, I get a big-ish circle that's generally where I am on the block, but now, for some reason, it puts the circle about 5 KM West. Boo.

I'm going to try again when I'm outside ... but, I don't love what just happened.

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I sort of take back what I said. Today while trying to find my position, it just sat there spinning. Like the first time for me. 2.0 was sometimes slow to find my position but 99% of the time it could. 2.0.1 was great, fast, accurate and never had a problem.

But 2.0.2 today had the spinning problem. Then I tried safari and my 3g (and edge this time too) was dead too. It's like all of the radios on the phone were dead. I had full 3G bars then it would switch to full bars edge, and 3G again (as I moved through different areas) and wouldn't load a single page. I restarted the phone, and lo and behold - GPS locked on right away perfectly accurate and 3G was loading pages fast as ever. There is definitely something funky going on with 2.0.2 for me that is affecting more than just the 3g as I thought. It's affecting 3G, GPS, and edge it seems until I reset the phone. Seems to occur at random too.

BTW, FWIW, I've never had any problems like this at all since I got the phone on launch.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
There are just too many variables that can affect the GPS signal to know whether 2.0.2 made any difference. The GPS for me was pretty fast under 2.0.1 and even 2.0 as I recall.

I am inside my house and it took around 6 seconds for it to mark my exact location. In fact looking at the Satellite view the little blue ball is just outside the window where I am at now. Like 12 feet from where I am sitting with my phone. I am kinda scared to look out the window actually... The blue ball might be out there! :eek:

gps.jpg

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Well the Locate Me function works now through my WiFi network at work. Hasn't before so either Skyhook Wireless has driven around Wollongong - not likely - or they updated their database based on my submissions of the networks in my area.

Cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.