New Update killed Mac!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thopunk, Jan 15, 2008.

1. thopunk macrumors newbie

I just installed the update on my macbook pro and mac mini. they both started up, after the restart, the macbook pro into a blue screen with cursor and the mac mini into a gray screen. the mac mini loaded eyetv (set to start at startup), but it was still a gray screen. i hit the menu button on my remote, and everything is going fine. on my macbook pro, i cant get away from the blue screen. and i noticed my fan is going very fast because the computer is heating up. anyone else?>

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I had a black screen with cursor on my Mac Pro today after an update. I held down the power button to restart and then it was fine thereafter.

3. thopunk thread starter macrumors newbie

tried that 3 times, still back to the blue screen with cursor.

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Any more reports of this? Is this widespread at all?

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Specifically which updates are you talking about?

6. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Do you mean the new quicktime and iTunes updates?

7. jlan macrumors newbie

Probably the new updates available today (iTunes, iMovie, Front Row, Quicktime).

No problems on my MB. Everything installed and running just fine.

8. thopunk thread starter macrumors newbie

all of em. quicktime, itunes, front row, imovie. i installed all of the ones that were released today.

9. thopunk thread starter macrumors newbie

10. fwhh macrumors regular

2 restarts and a long time blue scree for me too...after installing quicktime and itunes update. Stangely my function keys (brightness, sound, keyboardbacklight) stopped working...

11. G4DP macrumors 65816

Nothing wrong on this mac pro, all updates went through fine.

12. writeous macrumors regular

My MBP was acting strange after the installs too. It took 10 mins to wake out of sleep and when I restarted, it took about 2 mins to get to the desktop the 3 times I did it. Seems to be running ok now. Why the hell do these updates always **** something up? These are just simple software updates, they shouldnt be causing catastrophe.

13. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

14. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

It works fine for most; its idiots who are installing hackware such as application enhancer - interesting that those of us who have a vanilla installation don't have a single problem

Its the old story of PEBKAC.

15. writeous macrumors regular

My MBP is now acting normal after a couple of more restarts. I dont have any "hackware" installed.

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

While this statement is rather harshly worded it is true. If you don't know what an application does which messes around with the operating system, do not install it. Otherwise you are asking for problems like this and half the time Apple gets the blame because the user does not know what they are doing.

17. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

True; or worse, they post on this forum, screaming, yelling and cursing - then later admitting it was them installing stupid crap which caused the problem. Its not just Application Enhancer, but Safari hacks, plugin hacks etc.

Why can't people get it through their thick skulls - install software which relies on undocumented API's - you are going to experience nothing but problems.

18. fwhh macrumors regular

There is no hackware on my mac too, and I think you violated the forum rules with this statement.
    Direct violation of #1 Rule:
    Instantly Bannable Offenses
    Anyway, my function keys are back after 4th reboot.

19. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

If you actually took the time to read my post, my post was a GENERALISED reply; it was not aimed at a particular individual. For it to be an instant ban, one has to SPECIFICALLY aim the insult at an individual. The fact is, I hadn't, there fore, no ban. May I suggest you actually READ the rules which you point to.

Grow up and do your homework.

20. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Definite issues with my 24" 2.8 iMac yesterday after the updates. Nothing funky installed for reference, but on first reboot, had a kernel panic after a few minutes, second reboot, another kernel panic, on 3rd reboot, the Dock was "gone" as in no longer visible. Powered off, let it sit for a bit as I started to get very nervous, then powered on again. Ran a permissions repair, and I have not had a problem since.

I left the machine on all night, and when I left for work this morning, it was still up and running fine. Keeping fingers crossed.

21. unity macrumors 6502a

Wrong. New iMac, nothing installed besides apps like Quark and VLC player. No third party add-ons/extensions/hacks. When it re-booted it ended up with a black screen for 15 minutes. Fans running fine, wireless keyboard and mouse off-line. Had to do the usual 4-second power button. After it was back up I once again ran permission verify and disk verify, all was well as it was before the updates.

22. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

you really need to lighten up big, bad internet bully. these people are looking for solutions not lectures by the likes of you.

as far as the original poster. in stalled the new updates with no problem on my two powerbooks but my girlfriends imac encountered the blue screen as well. i let it run for about an hour then just turned it off with the power button. rebooted and everything works fine. if you have application enhancer then definitely get rid of it. i know someone who caused theirs to freeze up when they installed leopard and then their data board went, i dont if that was a coincidence or not. the only hack i use is saft since its too much for safari to actually be able to click on the tab bar and open a new one.

23. SawTooth500 macrumors member

Interesting that I don't have a problem after the updates and my application enhancer works just fine.:rolleyes:

24. quantumbits macrumors member

Wrong answer

::BUZZER:: Wrong answer. Try again, sport.

No "hackware" on my Macbook. Unless, you know, you consider Firefox, Thuderbird, TexShop, VLC Player, Matlab, and MySQL Browser to be 3rd party malware. What's funny (for everyone but me), is that this is the 3rd such crash I've had in a year with the CrapBook. It simply pooped out last Jan. and was killed by the 10.4.9 update in August. BTW, Firefox and Thunderbird were necessary replacements for Safari and Mail.app, respectively. You see, the Mac variants managed to poop out over the course of the last couple of weeks.

Just an hour ago something as presumably innocuous as an iTunes and QuickTime update felled mighty OS X. Hence, why I stumbled onto this forum.

No flaming or fury here. I back up my data religiously. However, it is a pain in the rear to have to deal with 3 system crashes in a month. It takes time to reinstall my nefarious ware. Still, why market a computer under the manta "It Just Works" if any type of 3rd party ware risks screwing the system up for good?

No thanks. I'm passing on OS X. Ubuntu worked fine on the CrapBook in the past. It'll save the day once again.

25. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Mate, you've failed like everyone else to explain to me how I can update-update-update-update without any problems. 5 years of Mac goodness, and not a single problem. How the bloody hell is that possible? do I have divine update luck on my side or something?