New uptime record...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iSaint, Oct 7, 2007.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

No new updates for my PPC Powerbook in awhile. So I've set a new uptime record and counting. Even when it's turned off it's only a restart.

Stability, another reason to love your Mac! :)

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

awesome, I have my desktops set to restart once a week. I should turn the schedule off and see how long they can go.

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Not bad for a lappy.. but I'll consistently do that on my G5 tower. Just checked and I'm at 32 days. OS X is wonderful. Hardly have even a hiccup. Try staying up over a month on OS 9.

5. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

isaint what do you use to keep track of your uptime?
    pretty impressive btw!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you looked at your sig recently? :p A G4 powerbook consumes... what... 3 watts or less while sleeping, and hmmm, maybe 20W while awake? How many minutes does a MP Quad have to run to expend the same amount of energy as a sleeping Powerbook uses all year? :p

7. dcv macrumors G3

33 days is a record? Pah! :p I left my iMac running for something like 186 days without a restart before, I'm sure that's still nothing compared to others though...

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Exactly! Most people can't get a grip on the amount of energy consumed by household products, they just get brainwashed into believing it'll help to switch them off. It's absolute nonsense.

All the TVs on standby in the world are probably using no more electricity than is used at a single large scale concert with a full lighting rig, it's insane...

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Nice. Rarely restart my MBP. Most of the time it's due to an update. The current time isn't too impressive, though.

My 10.2 server G3 (B&W) is humming along nicely. It's been in running 24/7 for over 4 years. Usually, the only time I restart is when the power fails and the UPS runs down (a few times a year). I've seen over 180 days before.

Here's the current uptime:

10:22AM up 50 days, 15:42 :)

edit: for those wondering about power - the G3 is running headless 99.9% of the time (or more)

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well it isn't absolute nonsense. By that reasoning we may as well leave them on because there are worse offenders out there. Seriously if everyone did turn off their TVs and made savings where possible there would be a huge difference to the amount of power we are consuming. After all in the UK alone there is approximately 25 million households. It adds up very fast.

11. santangelo macrumors regular

whoa

i always turn my G5 of when not using it, There is now way id do that to my macbookpro as i think it would half it life!

12. bartelby macrumors Core

13. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

routine thermal expansion and contraction might be worse for the computer than leaving it running (think about city miles versus highway miles on an engine), especially considering modern lead-free solder.

14. santangelo macrumors regular

true but i prob only use my macbookpro once a month if that.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

right now i'm over 50 days on my macbook pro.

EDIT: it's actually 50 days 17:37, and it's a new record

16. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Showoff Widget

Do you not update software when released? I have no fears about updating.

17. dcv macrumors G3

I do on the notebooks but don't bother with the iMac as often. I only really use the iMac as an EyeTV recorder/media centre type of thing so just leave it running and running!

18. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

whats this widget called?

i keep my mac running for weeks on end, too. i always get pretty worried about electricity consimption, though...

anyone have a good idea of how many more kW (kilowats) ill be using up if i leave my mac up for a month, being that it remains asleep for 18 hours a day in average? (my setup can be seen on my signature)

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'm not doing too well then Picture 1.png

But i did just finally get around to updating my firmware.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I currently am at just 4 days on my powerbook, I think I had to restart for finally getting around to installing the latest iTunes. before that i was at 23 days. I'm hoping to not need to restart my powerbook until I instal Leopard.

It will probably use the same or less power, since it needs a lot more power to boot up than to sleep and wake up every day.

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If I didn't have to use Bootcamp mine would probably be up in the 30 day + range. But alas I still play the odd game in Windows.

22. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

23. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Show off, I just had to restart my mac for the third time this weekend (forced reboot)

I gotta go to the apple store this week and try to figure out what's wrong with my mac.

24. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

My good old trusty powerbook has been going a little over 100 days now, admittedly it's not getting the constant use it did, but still...

My other machines, laptop and desktop all get shut down when their not in use, the powerbook stays on just in case i need something quick :)

Names have been distorted to protect the innocent :cool:

Attached Files:

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ironically, my iMac that had 35-40 days on it... was crashed by DivX player and I had to restart it. :mad: :rolleyes:

I had to restart my iBook earlier this weekend because I decided to finally FileVault it, turn on secure VM, and secure erase the free space on it.