New Verizon Phone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by txhockey9404, Jan 17, 2009.

1. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have been shopping for a new phone lately, and am not sure what to go for. It must be on Verizon, so no iPhone. I would prefer a smartphone with a physical or virtual qwerty keyboard, and I don't really have a preference between those. I currently have a Samsung Glyde, which I really tried hard to like, but lately, it has not been holding up its end of the bargain. It has been answering calls in my pocket, not ringing even when on full volume, and dropping calls. I know it is not a bad signal because another Verizon phone I have holds a signal in the same places fine, and I almost always get full bars where I am.

I have been attracted to the Samsung Omnia, Blackberry Storm, and Verizon Wireless XV6900 especially. The HTC Touch Pro, while it is VERY good looking, is too expensive for what it does. (The Omnia and Storm both come with 8gb of memory for $200-$250, and it comes with 512mb for $300).

I recognize this is an Apple-related forum, but I would really appreciate it if the "get an iPhone" comments would be kept to a minimum. As much as I like them (I am an iPod touch owner), I cannot leave Verizon, and I don't know if I want something as buggy as my iPod for a phone anyway.

2. svndmvn Guest

I read the iPod is buggier than the iPhone, but anyway, your problem would be AT&T having a service that's worse than Verizon's, from what I read, and it's always a hassle to change phone companies.
    Anyway, what would you need your phone for? I read Omnia's touchscreen and UI is as reactive as the iPhone's. The Storm's sure-type can be a pain, but it is the best choice if you care for IMs and Push service. It is the best looking, in my opinion. The downside, in my opinion, is the lack of Wi-Fi, but that's really based on personal needs. These two have good screens, the Storm is a bit better, I suppose and I personally like the dimensions, etc. The HTC Touch pro has a physical keyboard and I've always found it's touchscreen less responsive than the others'. Oh, I'm not sure about the screen, but I guess you have to look that up as well.
    Anyway, I say BB Storm, the iPhone is perfect for my needs and I find the BB kinda close and I don't need all the WinMo hassle. I prefer having to deal with one company only, for both SW and HW.

3. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the fast reply. You hit the nail straight on the head. I need Verizon for the good service and I actually get a discount on all Verizon phones and service plans. (Its somewhere between 10-15%) The Blackberry looks really good for me, but the lack of wifi may not be good, especially since I plan to start without a data plan, and just use data at hotspots.

I plan to use the phone for a good deal of text messaging, a fairly good amount of calling (a minus for Blackberry, because every Blackberry I have used has had poor call quality), some internet browsing, some calendar, a bit of music here and there, and social networking (namely Facebook). I know there are Facebook applications for both platforms, so that is not an issue.

4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

How about the Moto Krave ZN4?

Those things look amazing.

5. smt1192 macrumors regular

It all depends what you use the phone for. If you like to text, then get an ENV. If you need it for work related stuff then get the Blackberry. If you don't really need either then just get one of those free camera phones :D

6. svndmvn Guest

try and see if you like the HTC then..
    or just get the one with the best browser and more storage if needed.
    since both the samsung and the HTC use WinMo it would be kind of the same for me.
    Oh, and HTC said they'll be out with another cellphone this year, able to compete with Palm's Pre, I wonder if it will have android on it and be CDMA, it would be the best solution, hoping they get the touchscreen right this time.

7. ari gold macrumors newbie

Don't forget that if you're going with a smartphone you will have to pay the $30 a month data fee...

8. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are very cool looking, but not exactly what I am looking for.
    I actually used to have the original ENV, and while it was a great phone, I just never loved it. I ended up giving it to my brother and got the Glyde. I think that may have been a mistake.
    Do you have any idea when this new HTC phone is going to come out? I am hoping to get a phone by the end of February, and I don't really want to wait until around August or September. Contrary to many people here, I actually like Windows Mobile, when it is run on a capable phone. It is not that bad. I used 5 on an old Palm, and it was terrible, but on some of the newer phones I have tried 6 on (Samsung Blackjack), it is actually very good.
    I actually looked it up this morning, and the Windows Mobile phones can be had without data or email. Data can be had for $1.99/mb a la carte. I am not sure about Blackberry though.

Once again, thanks for your help everyone! It is greatly appreciated!

9. why so serious macrumors newbie

I believe that as of November, Verizon requires ALL new smartphones to have the $30 data plan. I know for blackberries on Verizon it has always been mandatory and it cannot be removed.

10. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. I didn't go all the way through the process, and it looks like what I want cannot be done.

11. ari gold macrumors newbie

Nosir, all smartphones must have a $30 data plan http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1139662 also, if you're on America's Choice plan (you might if you're an older customer) you have to switch to the Nationwide plan (you'll likely have to do this regardless of what phone you get, its a requirement for some new phones/plans) which is $10 if I recall correctly. Check HowardForums and Phone Arena for phone info/news/etc if you're not going there already.

edit: nevermind I saw you edited your post

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How about a Nokia E71? That's what I use. But of course you'll need to switch to a GSM carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile.

13. ari gold macrumors newbie

First line in OP: must be on Verizon.

VVVV yeah sorry that came out harsher than I meant VVVV

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I said it requires switching so no need to be a smart alec.

EDIT: ^^^ I was just all worked up.

15. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right now I wish I could switch, but I am stuck with Verizon for another year and a few months. I checked out the Nokia anyway, and it is very attractive, but it's too bad I cannot have it.

16. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

Im in the same dilema as you, my contract expires on February 17 and I am planning on a getting a new phone and I think the env2 is my best bet so far, unless verizon comes out with a new phone or the rumored iphone that is supposed to come out in Q1 2009 for verizon. One can only hope :)

17. buffalo macrumors 65816

data for two BB Storms

I'll ask next time I make it to a store, but I thought I would ask here first.

I'm on a Select Family Share plan. Currently, all three phones are eligible for an upgrade. Two of us are interested in the Storm. Is there any shared data plan, or will both phones have to add on the $30 per month data charge? If the bill goes up $60 per month, it won't happen!!!

18. steeler macrumors regular

If you want to avoid the $30 data plan cost and still have some smartphone features (like a virtual qwerty keyboard), look at the LG Dare. It's not exactly a smartphone, but depending on what your priorities are, it might work for you.

I have one and love it, but I've never owned a smartphone.

19. buffalo macrumors 65816

Yepp. I decided that I could not justify the data charge. While nice, it simply is not necessary. I bought the Dare last night instead.

20. ari gold macrumors newbie

21. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How is the keyboard on the dare? Have you compared it to an iPhone? I really like that keyboard, and if I go with a software keyboard, I don't want it to be much worse than a physical keyboard.

22. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I have until about the 20th of February to make up my mind, and right now, the Dare is the forerunner. It looks to be a great phone, and it does about 95% of what I wanted it to do. That last 5% was just to use it as a WiFi modem for my iPod touch, but considering that is only possible on a Windows Mobile phone, that idea can be discarded.

23. ari gold macrumors newbie

I like the keyboard, I've played around with an iPod Touch and the responsiveness is about even, the Dare and lag behind sometimes but that rarely happens on me. Calibrate the screen and you should be good to go. If you're unhappy with the keyboard after calibrating it check out your firmware and make sure you have the V5 firmware, some say it makes the screen more responsive and faster; however I don't know for sure because I haven't updated my firmware yet.

24. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I love my Dare. Its screen is one of the best non-apple ones.

25. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help guys! I am seriously considering the Dare now. First, however, I am going to get the software on my Glyde updated and see how much that helps.