Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K.B.

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
It's quite a stretch to say that the 6870 is "supported". It's more accurate to say it works under Lion at the moment, with some problems, and may have more serious problems at any OS update.

Indeed, you are correct. Which is why I ordered it from Amazon and when Lion comes out in the next couple of weeks should it kill the card, I can return it within the 30 day period. Yaaaaa! If not, I shouldn't have any trouble selling it for darn near what I paid for it and buying another card.

I hope that the drivers being in the Lion betas are a sign of that they will work and hopefully the drivers will work under Lion either way.

We shall see.

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
we have injector for 6870 now, so even if Lion drivers remove the no-flash-nessecary-thing, it will still work

http://groths.org

This is a bit beyond my knowledge...I'm looking at potentially upgrading my ATI X1900 for video work. My best guess is probably to wait-and-see when Lion comes out to how it performs with FCP7, FCP X. Unless there's already evidence that this will work?

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
Also believe I read somewhere on MR that video cards have increased 25x (in terms of performance) over the last 4 years (when my current card was considered 'new'). Might be better off getting a new machine? or the next revision thereof?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Also believe I read somewhere on MR that video cards have increased 25x (in terms of performance) over the last 4 years (when my current card was considered 'new').

That number sounds way way way too high. New cards are certainly faster... But I'd put it more in the 6x-8x range.

Might be better off getting a new machine? or the next revision thereof?

Depends. Is your machine too slow for you in general?

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
Depends. Is your machine too slow for you in general?

I've noticed that FCP X lags a little bit, no spinning wheel of death, but takes a second or two to respond (i.e. moving the playhead to a new clip), and it's not getting any faster and has crashed a few times. Just weighing the price/performance between a new graphics cards and a new computer. Obviously a huge price difference and I'd like to get more life out of my current machine. Is it worth it to invest in a 4 yr old machine?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I've noticed that FCP X lags a little bit, no spinning wheel of death, but takes a second or two to respond (i.e. moving the playhead to a new clip), and it's not getting any faster and has crashed a few times. Just weighing the price/performance between a new graphics cards and a new computer. Obviously a huge price difference and I'd like to get more life out of my current machine. Is it worth it to invest in a 4 yr old machine?

Your graphics card will certainly hold you back.

Mac Pros stay competitive much longer with other machines, and a video card is a relatively minor expense compared to a new Mac Pro. It might be worth the upgrade.

K.B.

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
A friend of mine who has the same Mac Pro as my 2nd station (1,1) said he's been working with Motion 5 and it's clunky so far. Pauses, spinning wheels of death, slow response compared to Motion 4.

He's got a good and relatively new card in it too. He's going to re-install and see if it makes any difference but not good that it's clunkier then Motion 4 on the same machine.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

Make sure there are NO background applications running while FCPX is running.

JohnG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.