Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new video posted to YouTube today offers viewers perhaps the best real-world look yet at Apple's latest 16-inch MacBook Pro.

macbook-pro-2021-handson.jpg

Update: The video has been removed.

The eight-minute video, narrated in Vietnamese, shows the new MacBook Pro's display notch, thinner bezels, full-size keyboard, and additional ports in close-up, as well as the thicker design, all of which are compared side by side with a 15-inch Intel MacBook Pro. It also shows the new MacBook being weighed, coming in at the expected 2.1kg.

The new MacBook Pro models have been available to order since Monday and will begin arriving to customers and launch in stores on Tuesday, October 26. Pricing starts at $1,999 for the 14-inch model and at $2,499 for the 16-inch model.

(Thanks, Hugo!)

Article Link: New Video Provides Extensive Hands-on Look at New 16-inch MacBook Pro [Updated]

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Wow, these MacBooks certainly have not been put on a diet. They've piled on some considerable weight & fatness since the last generation! Weren't the M1 series of chips supposed to enable smaller and lighter designs? Or at least, better battery life and thermals within the existing ones?

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Wow, these MacBooks certainly have not been put on a diet. They've piled on some considerable weight & fatness since the last generation! Weren't the M1 series of chips supposed to enable smaller and lighter designs? Or at least, better battery life and thermals within the existing ones?
They sure have! Can you imagine an Intel laptop with the performance of these? Cause I can't!

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
I am sorry. That's just my personal opinion. But I really don't find it good looking. In fact I find Apple really lazy. Now I am not saying: oh change the design every two years like some cheap Windows laptop. But geez. My Powerbook G4 looked exactly the same (except for the keyboard). And that was 15+ years ago. It's also gotten quite thick and big. Irrelevant when used as a pseudo-desktop. But for people who actually take it out every day, I honestly find it too big and too thick compared the 15 and 16"ers of yesteryear.

thatguywill

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2021
These new real world pics/vids are worrying me a little.

The new laptops look THICK. Maybe I should have waited for the 2022 MacBook Airs? (upgrading from the 2020 13" i7)
That’s what I’m doing. Never liked the airs previously but these rumoured new ones look niiiiice. My 15” MBPR late 2013 Is the perfect size and weight, I won’t be buying one of these chunky boys

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It's definitely not. Let me remind you that the display includes thousands of miniLEDs which naturally will make the display thicker, add FaceID on top of that and that would've made the display even thicker.
If you look at their photos of the display dissected (from Apples own unveil) there are no miniLED's at the level the Notch is. Essentially where the menubar goes, there are no miniLED's. The array only begins below the notch.

EDIT: Seems this may not be the case and just when they showed it off the top bar was black.

Last edited:

macpot

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
One of the most important factors for me with a laptop is size and weight.

If I didn’t take it anywhere then I’d get an iMac.

This new MBP is way too big for my liking.

This is for professional work, it cannot be thin, or else it will throttle like the last Macbook Pro 15 inch did.

I guess the next Macbook Air will be for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.