New video with IPhone 6 front cover Sapphire scratch resistance test

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
MKBHD! Neat little demo of a front panel. Looks promising, I'm excited to never worry about scratches again. Haha. Little up-tick in resale ability coming our way!

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Wasn't there something about it only being sapphire-coated? That could possibly add only minimal increase to shattering.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I never used them anyway..my phones (that weren't plastic anyway) never got scratched.
Same here. Never scratched my iPhone screen, and I've had just about every model from 2007.
I hear this a lot from people and when I inspect their smartphone glass, I see micro scratches.

If you look up some latest Gorilla Glass knife and key scratch test videos, it doesn't scratch with those either.

Still waiting for someone to use a diamond on one of these supposed iPhone 6 panels.
I agree that the video doesn't prove that its sapphire, but scratching it with a diamond wouldn't prove that either. He would have to do a scratch test on both GG and Sapphire using sand.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I hear this a lot from people and when I inspect their smartphone glass, I see micro scratches.
My fiance, who is very picky about her iPhone screen, has actually called me out a few times about this. She checked the screens very closely - no scratches. She was looking for micro-scratches as well.

I'm just very careful about the company my iPhone has while in my pocket.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
New video with IPhone 6 front cover Sapphire scratch resistance test

Micro scratches are still scratches. They bother me, and I don't have ocd. ;)

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
A scratch is when you have a Nokia 3360 and you barely breath on the screen and you see a huge line going through it even with the screen on.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Micro scratched are not in The glass but the oleophobic coating. If you can't feel it with your nail, it's not a scratch.

If indeed the next iPhone has a sapphire screen, I guarantee, there will be an influx of people complaining that their screen got scratched. Which is only the oleophobic coating.

Last edited:

TechViking

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Still waiting for someone to use a diamond on one of these supposed iPhone 6 panels.
Using a diamond would be rather pointless? A diamond will scratch everything, except other diamonds.

Diamond is a 10 in the Mohs hardness scale. Sapphire is 9. Gorilla glass 3 about 6-7. A mineral with a higher number will scratch minerals with a lower number. Diamond will scratch both sapphire and glass.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That is really interesting. Obviously thats not 100% synthetic sapphire however it appears to be as clear and scratch resistant. I would like to see a little better scratch test though. I saw another test online where someone dragged a concrete block over a piece of sapphire, it looked scratched really bad but it was just pieces of the concrete block, and easily wiped off.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Micro scratched are not in The glass but the oleophobic coating. If you can't feel it with your nail, it's not a scratch.

If indeed the next iPhone has a sapphire screen, I guarantee, there will be an influx of people complaining that their screen got scratched. Which is only the oleophobic coating.
Exactly! The coatings will scratch like crazy and the problem with be the same. :D