Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

threelions

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Jesus...he bent the thing almost 90 degrees under his foot...MKBHD is a staunch android guy, so for him to post this you know this was a big deal!

While he likes his Android Phones he has an new Mac Pro, (made his own Hackintosh in the past) Macbook Pro, Ipad Air and an Iphone 5S. So not exactly a hardcore Android guy it's just that he made a lot of Android tech videos so got pegged the Android Youtuber.

All that said he's a very honest and reliable guy.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
FDNPZBs.png

Wow, that's some tough glass!

REALLY hope this is legit as I want this glass on the 4.7-inch.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
No they really aren't. Scratches are the ones you can see on the screen while using it or are really noticeable when you aren't.

Anything else is just being pedantic.

Your opinion of what's acceptable damage doesn't change the fact that it's physically scratched. People that use screen protectors, Apple investing in sapphire, and Samsung/LG doing the same suggests that you're in the minority in thinking that GG is scratch resistant enough.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Using a diamond would be rather pointless? A diamond will scratch everything, except other diamonds.

Diamond is a 10 in the Mohs hardness scale. Sapphire is 9. Gorilla glass 3 about 6-7. A mineral with a higher number will scratch minerals with a lower number. Diamond will scratch both sapphire and glass.
A diamond would scratch another diamond, that's why they use diamonds to cut other diamonds.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Your opinion of what's acceptable damage doesn't change the fact that it's physically scratched. People that use screen protectors, Apple investing in sapphire, and Samsung/LG doing the same suggests that you're in the minority in thinking that GG is scratch resistant enough.

No, you're just obsessing over something you can't see. That's lame.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No, you're just obsessing over something you can't see. That's lame.

You can't see them? Looks like dulling on the screen. You can generally see it right where the swipe to unlock pops up.

It happens on screen protectors really quick, I burn thru 5-6 a year.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think if people are careful the chances of getting scratches are pretty limited anyway. I think that using sapphire glass is a brilliant idea, making the screen so that it doesn't scratch is great business sense for Apple, they make a phone where you don't need a screen protector and they can bump up the price to compensate.

Everything is speculation at this point, what will be more interesting is to see how it will handle drops, people dropping their phones on the floor is also among the same as those who scratch their phones. So if Apple can solve both problems it will be a brilliant iPhone 6 :D

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
While he likes his Android Phones he has an new Mac Pro, (made his own Hackintosh in the past) Macbook Pro, Ipad Air and an Iphone 5S. So not exactly a hardcore Android guy it's just that he made a lot of Android tech videos so got pegged the Android Youtuber.

All that said he's a very honest and reliable guy.

Gotcha. I'm glad to see him doing more apple-related reviews because I really enjoy his videos. The guy knows what he's talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.