New VLC Player 1.1.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuckm1020, Jun 29, 2010.

1. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

Just noticed there is a new version of VLC player out. Version 1.1.0. And it seems like it is now 64 bit!!! One thing i did notice though is that the new version is about 130mb. thats nearly double the old one. I guess 130mb still isn't all that bad at all. Still kind of weird it is double the size. http://www.videolan.org/

2. coasterider macrumors regular

The VLC Player is not letting me update. I got an odd error message that the file could not be verified and it deleted the download file.

3. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

The double size might because you download the universal version. Try to just download the Intel version.

4. yoose macrumors newbie

5. reubs macrumors 68000

Thanks for the heads up. I've been using Lunettes, and I thought it was part of the VLC family. How does VLC differ from Lunettes at this point? I can't seem to tell any difference.

6. sadcamper macrumors regular

The version I had running (installed a few weeks ago) claimed there was no update at all...I had to uninstall and dl the new version manually. Strange...no biggie though.

Too bad no acceleration like the Windows version has. :(

7. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

yah the file is 40mb when you download it. prob compressed. but after installed in applications it is 130.8mb. Yah prob because it is the universal version. But it seems you cant download 1.1.0 in just intel now. It only shows 1.0.5 on the website if you want just the intel one from what i am seeing. Not really a biggie though.

8. Lokrado macrumors regular

oooooooo finally a prober 64bit version! been using 1.0.2 for ages now!

9. sadcamper macrumors regular

130mb is actually the Intel version...would there be much point in making a 64-bit app for PPC? The OS would only be 32-bit.:confused:

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

They finally fixed that issue when you quit VLC the app will freeze and force quit. It happens EVERY single time I opened/closed a video file. The new version is universal as well, so it's 64-bit and 32-bit compatible. But I think it's Intel only. Still, not many people are using PPC anymore. If you use VLC with HandBrake, you can get the 64-bit versions of each which rocks.

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Same exact thing happened to me, so I downloaded the latest version from here.

VLC

12. coasterider macrumors regular

Yea I went to the site and downloaded the new version and just installed it over the existing.

13. sadcamper macrumors regular

I wish VLC had an interface a-la-itunes. Love the player, love that it's free...just wish it stored the movies in a nice library, etc.

Is there any additional interfaces one could add? I've tried adding things to the "media library", but next time I open the app, everything is gone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.:confused:

14. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Anybody else getting hanging issues on the new version of VLC when it tries to open MKV files? It'll max one of the cpu's cores out for a good 10 or so seconds before finally opening the file.

15. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Their are some skins on Deviant Art.

16. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Yah I had to go back to 1.0.5 due to very bad issues with 1.1.0. The main one I am having is when watching a long video like a movie there is some sort of memory leak issue. The video gets a little choppy sometimes. Then i check and I have like 4mb left in memory. Saw some people with the same issue on the vlc forums in the mac section. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. Yah an it seems a crap load of people are having issues with .mkv format. This sucks because this is like the only good video player for a mac that I have used. :( atleast 1.0.5 works :)

17. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

18. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

Here is the 40Mb version of VLC 1.1.0, and you can choose either Intel or PPC.

Also you can just download the 64bit vesion from here. It is just 23.4Mb.

19. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Why would anyone download free VLC from your spam site? To see ads?

20. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

I just get used to searching mac software from this site, my classmate give this site to me, I think it is not bad and not many ads.:)

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Does anyone happen to know whether you can play .evo files with this?

22. celticpride678

I Googled it a bit and it doesn't seem like it.

23. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I Googled too and found inconclusive information. I'll have to try it myself, it's just that VLC downloads are always so slow :(

Edit: Actually, they seem to use Sourceforge now, which is significantly faster :)

25. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

where can I download a .evo file for testing? I have many video players, maybe some one can support it.