New water sensors on MB & MBP casing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HiFiGuy528, Oct 15, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

[​IMG]

The new MacBook and MacBook Pro don't just want to impress you with their fancy new fabrication techniques, unibody designs and bolstered performance: they want to make you more honest, at least when it comes to reporting water damage. According to the service manuals, the new line of MacBooks include submersion sensors, designed to indicate if the laptops have been exposed to excessive levels of moisture and/or dropped in your toilet.

Phones, including Apple's own, have been fitted with these little stickers for years, but they're a rarity in laptops. You might want to think twice before you forget to mention the "used as a prop in an elaborate college drinking game" part on your next Applecare claim. Thanks, Justin!

http://gizmodo.com/5063556/new-macbooks-will-totally-tell-mom-if-you-take-them-swimming

2. Logos327 macrumors 6502

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Indeed, given the number of threads started here about spilling water/puking/coffee etc. it is a smart move by apple.

4. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Definitely except I am sure it will piss people off who do not like to take care of their equipment. Wait a few weeks for threads on how Apple abused people because they dropped a cup of water on their new MBPs.

5. spenc247 macrumors newbie

3 days ago i spilt 12oz of Mountain Dew on my MACBOOK and as soon as i did that i turned it off and wiped it off, and held it under a fan for two days, and sometime would try turning it on than turning it back off, and it would turn on, but not the screen,...i recently have taken the battery out and have taken a blow-dryer to it and it is currently sitting in a TEEPEE stand with a fan blowing on it...(i havent tried turning it on for awhile) i kno its most likely water damage, but if anybody knows more about this please please let me kno

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i agree....smart move. too much fraud going on these days.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree with this BUT what do they mean about excessive moisture? I mean, a foggy morning by the beach can cause moisture on anything. Is that excessive? I'm just curious.

I'm glad there is finally a way to tell if a laptop had gotten wet. All these people who spill things then hope to recover their losses by lying are despicable.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

...or the number of threads of people who think its ok to lie & cheat their way to free repairs & replacements.

If Apple can put in these sensors though it might not be a bad idea to invent a sensor that will kill the power if it comes in contact w/ excessive moisture. Then again thats probably alot of r&d for an extremely small minority of people who do dump drinks onto their keyboard...or as was the case of one poster in the summer, toss their load onto it.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You did everything right except you turned your machine on and off once in a while to check the machine.

You should have just left it for 2 days without turning it on.

10. logicaldog macrumors newbie

too much big brother

I am getting sick of incompetent and evil corporations monitoring human behavior. My sons macbook didnt turn on this morning, it is still under warranty, unless they weasel a way out of it, which of course they always try to do. It has never been exposed to moisture except for the following-humidity in washington in summer. heat in summer, I spray off the screen with cleaner being careful that none of it leaks down to keyboard, etc. How can I tell if the moisture sensor is tripped and what is likelihood extreme humidity caused it. (and if so they shouldnt sell them in humid places) and before the corporate kiss ups remark-heres my clinical advice to you, get some self esteem. remember 6th grade-stop kissing up!!!:mad:

11. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Yes I agree, you should go back to 6th grade. I can comprehend as much from your post as if a 6th grader wrote it. But from what I gather you are mad at Apple for selling a computer with water damage sensors because you have a MacBook which is broken? Did you miss the logic train?

12. rmcusc macrumors newbie

Cell phone companies have been doing this for a while. So when you get a new macbook, crack it open and put a layer of super glue over the water activated "stickers" to make the waterproof.

13. ascender macrumors 68020

Why are you posting in a thread about water sensors unless you suspect they've been affected?

Just phone Apple about the Macbook and see what they say.

14. klee1987 macrumors regular

didn't apple apply for a black box patent that records how you've tortured your machine like flashing custom firmware and water damage?

15. impilot macrumors newbie

Now, since this is your son's macbook, are you positive it has never been exposed to something like a spilled soda or glass of water? Come on, we all know that every child is going to be completely honest when having to confront an upset parent about something like this! For me, I prefer having my son use a Dell laptop. (I know, I speak blasphemy...but hear me out). He is 13, and has a long, distinguished history of spilling things in places where he shouldn't. Since Dell offers full spill/accidental damage protection, and the fact the laptop is considerably less expensive, I think it is the right thing for a kid (and one with a dad that does not feel like dropping big $$$ for repairs). I have used that coverage twice in the past two years, and Dell repaired it both time. As to Windows, I simply install his SW, games, etc., then take a disk image. If/when he has problems, I just re-image his machine. And some day, when he is more responsible, if a Mac makes sense for him, that we will add another convert to the fold.

People that get upset about applecare should simply ask/read what is covered and time of purchase and make their own decision. I am so sick and tired of people whining about Apple not covering something....that Apple says is not covered in their agreement. How about a taking responsibility for your own stupidity once in a while?

Sorry....rant off now.

16. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I've been reading about that lately, so it's true. Well, that's a good move by apple. This will help keep the fraudulent returns to a limit. I would hate to buy a refurbished Mac that had been intentionally placed in a tub, even if it's fully repaired.

17. amoda macrumors 6502a

I agree, that's the first thing that came to my mind. Just how sensitive are these? Don't want to be using my laptop outside and then find out the sensor deemed that there is too much moisture in the air.

Last summer I was nearly denied service for using my MBP in 35c+ weather ( I was in Egypt); which I found ridiculous since they sell MBs and MBPs there.

18. impilot macrumors newbie

I am sorry....but I don't understand this line of thinking. If you read the technical specifications, the max operating temperature for the current MBP is 35c. Just because Apple sells the MBP in Egypt does not negate the fact that you have temperature sensitive electronics that are designed to be used within a certain temperature range. If you choose to operate you laptop outside of that range, and something gets fried, why should Apple (or any other company) be held liable?

There seems to be this belief that a computer can be run in ANY environment with no regard to what that environment might do to the computer. Along with that belief is the accompanying belief that the company should honor a warranty even if I, as the consumer, don't honor the operating instructions and technical specifications of said product.

19. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

I'm surprised there's only 2.... They should put in at least 10...

If all customers were 100% truthful, then apple or any other company wouldn't have to do this... These detectors only come about because there's liars among us... Its THOSE people that ruin it for others and the companies...

I run a business and I would LOVE it if my customers never lied... But the truth is, most of them do.. And when they're caught, they either dismiss it or claim "forgetting"

20. BRITTONDI macrumors newbie

False Positive Water Detection

I hope Apple are not repeating the mistake the made with water detectors in the iPhone! I've just had a 4-month old MBP fail and been told by the repairs that the warranty is invalid because of a water sensor. The laptop was carried from one building to another under a colleagues jumper on a drizzly day. It might have had a few specks of rain on the outer casing and/or been exposed to humidity, but nothing serious. Given I've just ordered 3 more MBP's from Apple I am going to put a hold on the order until I've established whether this is going to be resolved. If not, bye-bye Apple; we'll be moving to more robust hardware.

21. vant macrumors 65816

Thanks for bringing up an old thread...

And yeah, good luck with that waterproof laptop. By the sounds of your MBP's usage, your group needs something more dumb proof.

22. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

"Hello Apple, regarding those 3 MBP I ordered - put them on hold. Unless you can prove me that you'll replace them in case I spill my chocolatte on them."

23. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I'm worried that these sensors might report back bogus reports.

24. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Hahahha I know, who does this guy think he is?

25. mikepro macrumors 6502

OK, this literally caused my to LOL, and I almost sprayed out a mouthful of coffee all over my screen. Probably would have set off my moisture stickers.