New webkit browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by forgottensoft, Jan 14, 2008.

1. forgottensoft macrumors regular

Hello
    thought I should point out that I am helping develop a new webkit based browser. It is lightweight and pretty cool in general

Its a freeware app called Radon. It is the succesor of Tominated Browser. It is the guy that did tominated and me.

http://radon.tominatedsoftware.com

you should check it out

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

New Webkit browsers are always welcome around here. I'm still seeing a countdown though. I can't wait for it!

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Mr. Tominated promoted his project about a year ago here at MR. glad his work got recognized.

4. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

The browser doesn't officially launch until tommorrow at noon (eastern time) but its coming soon.

5. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

it's actually made by me and forgottensoft. I changed my position so i am doing all graphics and UI, whereas logan (forgottensoft) is doing the code.;)

6. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

live

Radon is live!! It is now available for download at

http://radon.tominatedsoftware.com

Hope you like it
    and pass it on

PS
    I guess my identity can not be kept secret. Yes, i am the developer. Really looking forward to some feedback

7. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

damnit. The version that is on the site hasn't got the updated UI that i made. If i can get the version with my ui from logan tomorrow, i'll update it.

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Bit of a mistake then to say you 'discovered' it then? :p

9. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

depends on how you would define discovered?

haha

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i will post back after I try it later when I get to my office. home with mandriva now

11. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

It just crashed on me :(

Also, Krypton has been misspelt in the Help menu.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Also when you click on the download link Safari just displays the .pkg rather than downloading it, perhaps put it in a .zip or dmg.

Also does it really need an installer (with admin password) for a web browser

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

now I remember why I didn't install it previously, This is a big problem for me, I only do this type of installation upon absolute necessity, such as M$ Office, photohop, system update, etc.

sorry guys, please change this first.

14. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

Installer

Thanks for the feedback. I have made a new installer that we will post up later in the day. The reason for the installer is to get both apps into the Applications folder quickly, but I guess it wasnt the best idea. We will add a link for a new installer. Also, Krypton has been updated to fix the spelling error (embarrassing).

Thanks for the feedback

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no problem, im looking forward for the new version

16. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

I have posted the installer .dmg in my pubic idisk. The username is logancooke . This is a traditional drag and drop installer

the installer is called "Radon Suite Installer" not "Radon Installer"

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

18. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

Finder Go Menu> iDisk>Other User's public iDisk username-logancooke

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

it is asking for a password.

Also what i really didn't like was the fact that I got railroaded into installing Kryton, admittedly I wasn't paying much attention when I downloaded the driver but to then see two applications one I downloaded then this other one, not good. Is the ultimate goal to absorb kryton into radon?

20. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

Make sure your choosing "public folder" not "idisk".

As for krypton, I apologize you did not know you were installing it. Our goal with Krypton is to have the download function without having it weighdown the browser, something that we really weren't able to accomplish. We want to be able to let you download, so that is why we defaultly bundled it. But, with your advice in mind, I will add Krypton and Radon as a separate app, and have the "Radon Suite" as a download as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Logan Cooke
    Forgotten Software

21. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

It'd be nice if downloading the browser was as simple as the browser itself, eh?

This won't stop me from trying it out but if you want people to take you seriously be upfront in your involvement with the project. The way you went about this thread honestly turned me off a bit.

22. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

damn. I didn't realize safari acted so funny with the download. I use speed downloader so i can't really check. I was also a bit apposed to having the installer, but logan said we needed it to make the default homepage. I don't know why we needed an installer, tominated browser never had one.

thankfully, logan found a way to do a drag and drop install. also, the versions that are available for download are the wrong ones. those are the ones that are using logan's initial UI, it should be using the much cleaner UI that I made.

23. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

to fistful,
    I am sorry that I dissuaded you with my method of starting the thread. I am just not the kind of person to toot my horn publicly.

24. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Forgottensoft

Hi downloaded radon & krypton direct from the link you posted above(leopard)
    everything ok (nice simple fast browser) except im unable to set my homepage so when launch radon im left with a blank page, did i miss something?

Also would it be possible to include a drop down menu for web sites you have
    previously visited as i think it defeats the the object of being a fast browser
    if you have to type the address in to go back to a site you have already looked at(or again have i missed something?)

neil

25. forgottensoft thread starter macrumors regular

Are you going to Radon>Preferences/ If you are. make sure you type your homepage and hit "apply" at the bottom of the window. Then close the window and hit home.

As for a history menu, yes we are working on it for future releases.