New Wireless Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jer-78, Oct 10, 2007.

1. jer-78 macrumors newbie

I just got the new wireless keyboard today and love the small form factor and lightness. It's great for my living room setup. I have been experiencing an issue that is driving me nuts. When I type at certain times, the keyboard doesn't let go of a key. The physical key is up but if I type in Hello, I'll get HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLOOOO. What the heck is wrong with it? It doesn't always do this but when it does it's annoying as hell! Also the key strokes are slow to appear on screen as I type it. The last wireless keyboard I had didn't have this problem at all. Is this a bug to be fixed with software or should I send my keyboard back for a replacement? Thanks

jer

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try un-pairing and pairing again.

If your old BT keyboard worked OK, it doesn't seem like a range or interference problem.

Just for reference, I haven't had a single glitch with mine.

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ditto, it's a thing of beauty! Hope you get yours fixed though, jer-78. Is there anyway or re-setting it?

Also have you got the update for it that was issued recently?

4. jer-78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Yeah I tried disconnecting and re pairing it. Still the same problem. I also have the latest software update for the keyboard installed. Also, I found that it comes up the most after I leave the keyboard sitting inactive for a few mins then attempt to type something. The delay is severe too, if I type a letter nothing appears for a good 2-3 secs then all of a sudden it catches up but by that time I'm way ahead of it typing. Perhaps, I just got a defective unit if you guys don't seem to have problems? I absolutely love the new design, it's totally what I've been looking for since I used the keyboard from my couch. too bad, mine has poor performance. :p

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Maybe it is interference/range. I'm sure the antenna is at least slightly different in the new one vs. the old.

Anyway of testing it close to the Mac? That would at least tell you it is something to do with the BT (RF) connection itself. It should have the same range as the old one, but if it was on the edge - due to interference or positioning of the Mac - the new keyboard might just be enough different to be causing a problem.

Or (unfortunately), it actually could have a defect. :(

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

A work of art, IMHO. I've had it a [whole] week, and it still enjoy seeing it sitting there on the table. :)

7. jer-78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its only about 3 feet away from my Mac though, max 5 feet at any given time, shouldn't that be close enough?

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It should be fine at those distances. Mine's about 4 feet.

Was your old BT keyboard Apple? The reason I ask is if it was 3rd party, and has its own driver, maybe there's a conflict? There shouldn't be, since each BT device has a unique ID, but I'm just throwing ideas out.

You might want to peruse Apple Discussions (at apple.com) and see if there's anyone having a similar problem.

edit: I went over to Apple's discussion board and didn't find much. Someone had a similar problem with the previous BT keyboard, and in the discussion, it was mentioned to try and reinstall the batteries (someone else had the problem too).

Does the Bluetooth status on the Mac show full battery charge?

Another thought - try and cycle the power on the keyboard (hold the power button down for several seconds until you see the disconnect icon on your screen). I know you said you un-paired and paired, but wasn't sure if you did a power cycle.

9. drizzt197three macrumors newbie

Yep, same problem

I recently started experiencing the exact same problem! In my case, however, I've had the wireless keyboard for about 7 months. It came bundled with my iMac. I have found that if I turn off the Airport wireless (not BT, but Airport) on my Mac, and turn it back on, the keyboard returns to normal operation. Every time. Now, I don't understand why the wireless network would have anything to do with the wireless keyboard.:confused: This makes absolutely no sense to me. I was hoping this was a known issue with a known, permanent solution. But, I guess for now I'll content myself with knowing that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.