New XB1 Owner

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Cnasty, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Well, not really since it doesnt arrive until Tuesday but this will be my first XB anything.

I got a great deal on a Kinect model and wondering if there is any first time,newbie things to do first as a brand new Microsoft/XB owner or tips and tricks to do right off the bat?

I am really excited to play some of the exclusives as I currently own a PS4 and have always been intrigued by some of what is coming (Halo,Sunset Overdrive) as well as what XB live has to offer.

Thanks for any tips and tricks to get me started!

2. mclld macrumors 68000

The One isnt clear on this in the setup but you can go into the menu and add your tv, cable/sat box and audio receiver and have the One control it. You can say "Xbox, on" and it will turn on all your devices and you can also control volume and numerous other things as well. The One has an hdmi input on it, you can hook anything to it. With the voice command "Xbox, go to tv" it will switch to that input. I also can highly recommend this Kinect stand, it is cheap and works really good
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-Clip-Mou...Sensor-Game-/400651565420?hash=item5d48b1b96c

I really like the One, I have had a ps4 and prefer the One anyday. They both are really good though. I really like how MS puts out updates every month, but they have to work extra hard after all their bad publicity they have from the start

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Great stuff, thanks for getting me started.

When you say an HDMI input, can I add an AppleTV and it will utilize the snap feature for that or does it only work for cable boxes?

5. mclld macrumors 68000

I had a Fire TV going into mine and it could go full screen, anything that goes in that input can go fullscreen. I never have tried the snap feature as that would just be distracting and hard to focus on for me. I do not like to multitask when watch, reading or listening to something

edit:

Looks like you can
    [​IMG]

6. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Yea, Id like to have the apple tv up in the snap feature to run something like WatchESPN or music from the AppleTV apps so I wasnt sure if it was snappable.

7. mclld macrumors 68000

If you are into football, MS has some kind of deal with the NFl and they are supposed to have some cool stuff for NFl fans

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment/nfl#fbid=3ra8uo5iAwW

8. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Yea I saw some of that and wasnt sure if you had to pay as an add on like Netflix or it just comes integrated.

That does look awesome though.

9. mclld macrumors 68000

The Smart Glass app for your phone/tablet is really great as well

10. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Yes it it snappable.

11. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Yes!!

Awesome and glad that will come to fruition. One of my only reasons for getting one with a Kinect.

12. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I need to make room for the XB1 and I am thinking I am messing with console suicide if I put the ps4 and XB1 into one of these slots huh?

Not sure how to maximize the space going on here besides the obvious of hanging the tv but that isn't in the cards right now.

The back of the slot is wide open so maybe the ps4 will be fine but concerned about the xb1 and the vents on top.

Ideas?

[​IMG]

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are right to be concerned it would roast in there. What about taking one of those drawers at the bottom out and putting it in there?

14. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Not sure I understand? The drawers would be more enclosed than the open slots under the top of the stand.

The sound bar is the real space killer.

It is taking up the entire front of the stand where I could possibly put it up top like my ps4 currently is.

Let alone where to put the kinect. Hmmmmmm

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I meant completely remove the drawer and put the Xbox in the opening. I was thinking the drawer opening looks much taller and would allow the air to circulate around the top.

I used one of these to mount the Kinect on top of the TV.

16. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

The XB1 should be shipped today!

Oh happy day! :)

17. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have a similar cabinet/stand that I put my Xbox One in, but it has openings on the side to allow air. That probably helps but it's still a tight vertical fit in there. The Xbox NEVER gets warm at all and is whisper quiet.

Maybe drill a few holes in the side and clean it up. I did what weaselboy had mentioned, but for my pioneer receiver. Removed the drawer and hinges and drilled holes out the back (the drawer got stuck all the time anyway).

----------

Congrats! I love my Xbox One. The monthly updates keep adding to it's functionality and the gaming lineup has really increased over the last few months. That combined with my WiiU and I'm good on gaming for a long time :)

18. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I am going to try it out and see. I cant put it on top as it will just be a very ugly mess. I do not game for long periods of time. Maybe an hour, 2 tops and will keep an eye on it but I have read these new machines are very good at alerting or powering off it gets anywhere near too hot.

I definitely dont want to put it in the bedroom as this is my gaming spot.

Looking forward to it big time as this is my first XB machine and a completely different experience than SONY is my impression.

19. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I got this all set up last night and I am blown away at how deep and flexible the interface is compared to the PSN.

I love the customization and the apps are downright amazing with the snap feature.

I was playing and watching NFL Network at the same time which was blowing my mind coming from SONY all my life.

I still love my PS4 but don't understand the hate for the XB minus the higher price point initially but I am a fan of the UI.

Any other forums you guys visits for XB as this console section is pretty dead here. :)

20. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Try reddit/r/xboxone . There is lots of Xbox one fan out there. I agree. The console is great.

21. mclld macrumors 68000

I would be curious to hear impressions after a couple weeks.

22. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I have had an absolute blast with the system. I dont know if its because I have never owned an XBox for the reason of enjoying it so much a a new user or the system is that great.

Surprised how much I use the voice commands on Kinect.
    Actually prefer the more in depth user interface than PS4 as some have stated the opposite
    Really liking the controller and the little details it adds with the rumble on certain parts of games.
    Apps wise, I almost find it worth it alone for the NFL app.
    I have only been playing through the exclusives and not 3rd party games I ran through on the PS4 and really enjoyed Titanfall.

So far it has met all of my needs and beyond as I havent turned on my PS4 since I got the XB1 if that makes any impression.

Looking forward to their exclusives to play but I have such a backlog of games I will get there soon.

23. mclld macrumors 68000

Titanfall season pass is on sale for 6.25, normal price is like 25 bucks or so

24. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I do Gamefly as I dont really ever buy games.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sunset Overdrive is very good, easily one of the most visually appealing games on the Xbox one.