New Xserves Released, Xsan Now Shipping

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple unveiled this morning Xserve G5 upgrades, moving the line to Dual 2.3 Ghz G5 as previously rumored. The new lineup includes:

* $3999 - Dual 2.3 Ghz G5, 512K L2 cache/processor, 1.15GHz system bus/processor, 1GB DDR400 ECC SDRAM, 80GB Serial ATA drive, Mac OS X Server (Unlimited Client), Dual Gigabit Ethernet, No video card and Combo drive

* $2999 - Dual 2.3 Ghz G5 Cluster Node, 512K L2 cache/processor, 1.15GHz system bus/processor, 512MB DDR400 ECC SDRAM, 80GB Serial ATA drive, Mac OS X Server (10 Client), Gigabit Ethernet, No video card

* $2999 - Single Processor 2.0 Ghz G5, 1 Ghz System Bus, 80 GB HD, 1 GB ECC RAM, Unlimited Client Server, Dual Gigabit Ethernet, Combo Drive, and No Video Card

Each model can support up to 8 GB of ECC DDR400 SDRAM, has two PCI-X Expansion slots, hot pluggable SATA drive bays supporting up to 1.2TB of storage, and hardware RAID expansion options.

Additionally, Xsan, the Storage Area Network solution from Apple is now shipping.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nice to see other price drops in Canada - $50 off iBooks, more reduction for iMac and dispalys etc.

I don't think the prices of PowerBooks have dropped, however...

<cheesy>
..Which must mean a powerBook G5 next week. :rolleyes:
</cheesy>

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
What shocks me is the fact apple are actually shipping systems with 1Gb of RAM, about time I say. How long do we have to wait before the Powermacs get the same treatment.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Still strange that by default there is no video card installed.
Some dealers don't have those cards in stock, delaying the shipping date.

I can understand why Apple leaves them out, but they should make sure that the PCI grfx cards are readily available everywhere.

Lovely Xserve though!

The Bartender

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2004
psycho bob said:
What shocks me is the fact apple are actually shipping systems with 1Gb of RAM, about time I say. How long do we have to wait before the Powermacs get the same treatment.
3.0GHz may be the magic frequency. ;)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Great apple, well done, go and kick some corporations away... would be awesome to have that XSAN for my program at work... one day, one day...

Good for apple!

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Diatribe said:
Interesting, with these two announcements they seem to have better things for MWSF if they get that out of the way...
My thoughts exactly.

A price drop of the Displays would have been an obvious popular anouncement at the Keynote.

This could be one gr8 Keynote!

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
I heard a rumor from my friend, who's dad's friend works at an Apple edu store. That they are going to drop the prices on the iBooks to 649.

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
649? You're joking, I see.

Anyway, nice server update from Apple. I'm buying one.

wymer100

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2002
Any word on what the graphics card will actually be? The Apple Store website is pretty sparse on details other than a 64Mb ATI PCI graphics card for a $100 upgrade. My best guess would be a custom 9200 since the retail one comes with 128Mb. Not that it matters all that much, but seems strange that Apple wouldn't list more details. Perhaps that haven't decided, yet.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Weak...

Where's the 2.5 Ghz? I guess its better then nothing. Doesn't effect me anyways. But the display prices kick ace!i think i would rather get a 17" PB then a 15" PB with a 20" display. I worked on a 17" old apple lcd and it seamed more spacious then the new 20" maybe they are just a diff. ratio. not to sound like a moron. but has anyone else visited the apple store and thought the 20" seamed weak in size? Actually i think its gotta be the pixel count, it must be alot better in general (i know there's another 3") but I feel cramped vertically speaking on the 20". any comments? reply (and tell me i am a moron)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
TomSmithMacEd said:
I heard a rumor from my friend, who's dad's friend works at an Apple edu store. That they are going to drop the prices on the iBooks to 649.
if that is true, i wish i hadn't sold my apple stock 6 months ago :(

i did make a lot o' money for what i put in though. the ibooks going for that seems like a bad idea. maybe $800, but i guess if it is the most basic it is possible. that just means apple will put off work on the ibooks for a long while. but it would be extra nice for the dell wanna be an apple type (like everyone in my school) they own an ipod and think apple is the shiznik all the sudden and then they talk shiz about the rest of apple, and now they want a ibook. sooner or later it was bound to happen... enough of my ranting!

scaccia

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2004
Apple TabletMac

Great a new server. But what is a server without a good terminal ? Apple has to sort a new product : The TabletMac. A Wi-Fi system without keyboard or mouse. They allready have all the right technologies. Hand writing recognition, wirless, apps for entreprises, and the ease of use. More than this, they know how to build a flat iMac and iBooks, I don't think that there is a problem to produce a tablet. ... And finally imagine any one taking is TabletMac, (students, workers....). I really hope that Apple does that, or some one else will do that.... :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
You know Jobs has something good up his sleeve when he feels it necessary to get these other updates out of the way first! Can't wait for MWSF...

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Appleinsider really hit these rumors right on last night. This was a much needed price drop, i think we can all agree. But, this shows that Apple is sadly moving away from debuting things at conventions and such.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
~Shard~ said:
You know Jobs has something good up his sleeve when he feels it necessary to get these other updates out of the way first! Can't wait for MWSF...
Yep, exactly what I have been saying.

Did prices drop on PBs in the States? Because if they did then I'd think there won't be updates to them. If not then it is still possible.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
daveway00 said:
But, this shows that Apple is sadly moving away from debuting things at conventions and such.
Or that they've got much better things to talk about during the keynote than price drops and spec bumps. ;)