Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
S.O.B.!!!!

Man...we just bought a 2x2.0ghz at the college I work for. I would have loved a DVD burner and some addition storage space.

Oh well.

KrysBaz

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2004
Wokingham UK
Rower_CPU said:
Or that they've got much better things to talk about during the keynote than price drops and spec bumps. ;)

Hopefully they have, it's always better to debut a new product(s) at an event than to re-hash an old product with a bit of a speed bump or graphics update.

The keynote should be about all things shiny and new, can't wait for the iToaster and iCoffee.

:rolleyes:

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
scaccia said:
Great a new server. But what is a server without a good terminal ? Apple has to sort a new product : The TabletMac. A Wi-Fi system without keyboard or mouse. They allready have all the right technologies. Hand writing recognition, wirless, apps for entreprises, and the ease of use. More than this, they know how to build a flat iMac and iBooks, I don't think that there is a problem to produce a tablet. ... And finally imagine any one taking is TabletMac, (students, workers....). I really hope that Apple does that, or some one else will do that.... :rolleyes:

yeah... well i think the new PB's are going to swivel so that the can be used as a tablet. since they don't have g5's in em at least they can innovate still.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Xsan..

Nobody's made a big fuss about it. If the industry receives it well, this could be pretty big. This technology seems first of all like it is best aimed at recovering markets lost in graphic design and video, where people are concurrently accessing gigabytes of shared data. Second of all, it might be useful in scientific situations, where scientists have a mound of data and they're each modifying their own algorithms to process it. My big question...will it make a dent in the corporate market?

Google news doesn't pick up much on Xsan, just the old "delayed till 05" stuff. I did see a quote from a Bunnim-Murray producer (creators of reality TV) that said they were definitely going in on this. Hopefully we'll hear more in the next few days from other industry pros.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Diatribe said:
Yep, exactly what I have been saying.

Did prices drop on PBs in the States? Because if they did then I'd think there won't be updates to them. If not then it is still possible.

PowerBook prices didn't change in the U.S. between today and yesterday.

iBeard

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
Rod Rod said:
PowerBook prices didn't change in the U.S. between today and yesterday.

That tells me that pBooks are getting an upgrade... (hopefully) :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Always happy to see new releases from Apple. Hard at work for their customers.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I've never understood why Apple has not done minimum RAID 1 in their server line. This, well for the most part, is a minimum requirement for most systems that are defined as a server in the industry. :confused: Oh well. At any rate its nice to see Apple get a SAN solution out there.

[EDIT: :eek: Never mind. My bad. Someone pointed out where on Apple's site it clearly states RAID 0 or 1 support. Software RAID which isn't all that good but RAID nontheless.]

Griffindor73

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2002
Brighton, England
I know I may sound a bit thick here, but can anyone explain, in simple non technical terms (servers are a bit of a mystery to me) what Xsan is and what it does.

Thank you!

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
swissmann said:
Aren't the xServes in the BigMac 2.5 GHz? Or am I thinking something wrong?

Nope. 2.3 GHz. It's been that way for a while now, showing that there wasn't a heat problem or anything...Apple just wanted to wait to to release them now or didn't have enough G5s at the 2.3 GHz speed.

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
Griffindor73 said:
I know I may sound a bit thick here, but can anyone explain, in simple non technical terms (servers are a bit of a mystery to me) what Xsan is and what it does.

Thank you!

Lets say you have several storage devices accross a network, and each device contains data you need for a project. Typically getting the data would be a pain in the arse as you would have to acces each device seperately to get the data. Xsan solves this by 'pooling' together storage devices and treating them like 1 device, therefore meaning the user only has to access one device, the Xsan drive.

Here's a pic off Apple's website (the top being the Xsan solution)

indexstoragepool04192004.jpg

edit: my definition is a bit wrong, here's a definition I found through google

"A SAN, Storage Area Network (SAN), is a high-speed subnetwork of shared storage devices. A storage device is a machine that contains nothing but a disk or disks for storing data. A SAN's architecture works in a way that makes all storage devices available to all servers on a LAN or WAN. As more storage devices are added to a SAN, they too will be accessible from any server in the larger network. In this case, the server merely acts as a pathway between the end user and the stored data. Because stored data does not reside directly on any of a network's servers, server power is utilized for business applications, and network capacity is released to the end user."

www.bcdforum.org/public/library/glossary.html

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Griffindor73 said:
I know I may sound a bit thick here, but can anyone explain, in simple non technical terms (servers are a bit of a mystery to me) what Xsan is

A SAN is the bomb and I want one for my home network...I also want a lot of things which I can't afford this being one of them. :cool: :p

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
sluthy said:
Australia's got the xServes and the display drops, but no other discounts I can see.

Ummm, yes we did. Have a look at http://www.appletalk.com.au/ for a list of the price reductions.

Edit: by the way does anyone know if the free trade agreement with the U.S.A will result in further price drops?

Edit2: Never mind, found out electronics do not have tarriffs.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Hmm, their choice of 2.3ghz G5s suggests that IBM hasn't made a lot of progress at the high end.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
ddtlm said:
Hmm, their choice of 2.3ghz G5s suggests that IBM hasn't made a lot of progress at the high end.

The absense of 1.6 G5 eMacs in November also point to a lack of progress in the lowend as well. I say their just finishing getting the kinks out of their system and re-engineering everything after the 90 nm transition. I'm betting on WWDC this year to see everything start back up. Full speed ahead!!! G5 Powerbooks and 3 Ghz of Glory at WWDC!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.