New Year's Daypression

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Dec 30, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I don't know why, but every year on New Year's Day, a depression spell hits me, and it lasts for quite some time. I guess it's because I have to return to school, and I never really have anything to look forward to.

Does this happen to anyone else?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I don't get a depression, but I understand what you're saying.

It's more like a hollow feeling. The nice Christmas days, fun days off, and the looking forward to New Year's Eve are suddenly all over once you've woken up on 01/01/xx

Everything gets back to normal, and therefore usually a bit dull.

Just make sure you have plenty of fun things to do in the new year. Play some sports, maybe go on a skiing holiday.

3. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I know exactly what you mean, I have nothing to look forward to, didn't really enjoy 2007 and have exams in 8 day's time :(

4. ToddW macrumors 6502a

yep fifteen years ago today, my best friend killed himself. he stole his parents car and when his parents reported it stolen he was pulled over by a state trooper and pulled a gun out and blew his brains out.

he was my best friend and like a brother to me. i sheltered myself from having real friends for several years.

5. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Yeah I wouldn't call it depression (people who've suffered the real thing will kick your ass :eek:) but I know what you mean, it's kind of "depressing" that all the fun is over and it's back to work/school :(

Mind, I've actually had enough of the festivities now, and I'm almost feeling motivated for work. Almost.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Yeah, "who's the ugly chic laying next to me" syndrome. Maybe stay in this NYE?

7. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I know the feeling. However, there is something to look forward to. Macworld 08! :D

8. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Im starting Gituar on New Years Day and also its National Hangover Day

9. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I don't think this is clinical depression, but there are times when I've felt clinically depressed to the point where I faked sickness so I wouldn't have to go to school.

Where do you/they draw the line with clinical depression?

10. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

I have no idea... TBH if you're concerned enough, visit your GP.

11. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, this was really happening last year when I was being physically and/or emotionally harassed day in and day out by about two dozen of my classmates as well as a teacher, though I learned to deal with it, and I'm also at a new school now. For the most part, I'm pretty happy. It's hard not to be in a first world country and with all the things that I've been blessed with. :)

12. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Sounds to me like you're perfectly healthy and normal then. Good-o :D

I'm not a doctor but did learn a bit about Depression as part of my job, they say it's not just a case of feeling down because you're being bullied or whatever, but like a huge black cloud over every waking moment, even those which are supposed to be enjoyable. If you're still able to laugh or smile occasionally, it's looking good :)

13. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i think its called seasonal depression. Christmas is big rise, but has a bigger fall once it is over, only because you really have nothing to look forward to the rest of the year. I get it bad around feb. its the cold , no growing flowers thing.
    it suxxxx

14. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I'm thankful that I have such a close family and that my parents are still together in a happy marriage after 30 years. If it weren't for them and my siblings, I probably would've been in serious trouble back then. My family has always been consistent.

I see, and what's also strange was that coming into Christmas this year, it didn't seem like such a big deal as it had before, perhaps due to my dad's poor health condition, but I'm still missing the time I had. I think my New Year's Deperession's really going to kick in next week when I go back to school. Also, I love to travel, and so does my entire family, and we don't have any vacations planned, and that will sink in as well as realizing how much fun I had on them.

15. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I'm not a big fan of New Year at all and I totally understand where you're coming from, January is always a very slow month so I suggest you take the advice that others have given and find yourself something to keep yourself occupied. I've not been feeling myself since the 27th, but on the plus side I'm actually looking forward to returning to the job I enjoy; I got paid yesterday which always cheers me up, and I'm off to the US later on this year.

That aside, Happy New Year!

16. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

considering i have to go back to school 2mrw yea...i am a little depressed.:(...especially with semester finals happening in the next couple weeks.
    high school...........:(

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

New years day signals that I'm half way through my holiday. 1 week till my birthday, 1 day since Xmas. And 14 days until my mums birthday. Can't say I get this daypression.

18. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow I guess I am lucky considering I don't have to go back until Monday, and trimester exams aren't until the end of February.

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I alleviated mine by sitting in the cafe and getting a ton of work done. When I go back to work tomorrow, I'll be a few steps ahead! That feels pretty damn good, I must say.

21. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I feel you. :(

22. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

That's exactly what I should have done, but rather I slept 'til noon and spend the rest of the day working off a slight hangover.

Woops, now I'm a day behind on work, and I have TONS to do.

23. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

The only reason I'm down is because my boyfriend goes back to school tomorrow (so do I, but I do school at home so it's no big deal) and I realize how much I've eaten over the holiday season.

Then I just kick my butt because I feel fat and gross so I am more motivated to work out the day after new years.

24. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around. So every passing year should be too! It's a new year. I know the New Year's Resolutions thing is lame, but just think about what you WILL be doing this year, even if you don't think it's anything to look forward to, and think about how you can make it better, or be more proactive, more productive, more social, amiable, friendly, giving, generous, welcoming, or how you can take advantage of the situation. It's all about staying positive and giving thanks to people in random ways. Eventually it pays off. Reciprocity.