New Years Eve plans

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do you have any plans for New Years Eve?

Previously we never did anything, just stayed in and put a film on then go for a walk just after midnight and wishing everyone we bump into a happy new year!

This year my girlfriend and I are thinking about driving up a mountain and watching the fireworks on the horizon, with a midnight picnic in the car. (With the heating on, it's cold out!) Nothing much but it should be nice and cosy.

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Sounds like a nice time. Enjoy!

I drink to excess every night of the year, so I don't make plans to go out on amateur nights like New Year's and St. Patrick's Day. :confused:

3. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Been off work for a few weeks and super sick (diabetes + related problems, boo!) so my usual ritual of getting with my buddies and drinking myself silly is out. Might still get with my buddies. I work at night so going to bed at 2 or 3 AM is early for me LOL

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I don't remember the last time I did anything for New Years. Usually by dinner time we're admitting it's midnight elsewhere, so we can go to bed any time. ;)

5. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

6. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

7. elsonarah macrumors newbie

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have any. I'll watch what ever football game is on, then go to bed before midnight.

I'm not a big New Years person, I never got the fascination with this holiday,so much so, I don't go out of my way to stay up.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My plans are to go to sleep at my normal time, between 8 or 9 pm.

New Years is just another day to me.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

We have a 4 months old daughter now, so we are teaming up with a friends couple who has a 14 months old kid, for some board games and a cosy night.

Quite a bit different from the usual parties on new years eve, but likely just as nice.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow that's early, what time do you get up?

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Usually between 4 and 4:30 am. Then at the gym by 5:30.

13. JonSarge3108 macrumors regular

JonSarge3108

New Year's Day is Christmas with my daughter (me and her mum are separated) so New Year's Eve has the Christmas traditions and so excited for New Year's Day!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I get up between 4 and 5, myself. They say the older you get the less sleep you need, so that might explain why I seem to go to bed around 10:30

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, though, for me, I still need between 7 and 7.5 hours a night. When I get less than that, my day suffers and so does my work ethic and attitude.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Friend has a party every year and I usually go after dinner out. Convenient and I can drink as much as I want since I live 8 blocks away.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We've done the New Years party scene and I can pass on those mostly. Usually we sit at home, watch tv, see the ball drop in NYC (11pm our time) and then go to bed if we don't happen to have a movie on.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We sometimes make it to the ball drop (living on central time is a wonderful thing!), but I'm content once the fireworks start in Australia. ;)

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Out to dinner then back home to shoot fireworks

20. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Friends coming over for dinner and probably opening a bottle of wine or 10.

21. throwthedice macrumors regular

Never understood the hype surrounding NYE. I'm gonna watch some TV and call it a night in the comforts of my house while a bazillion other people stand in line for 6+ hours in Times Square for the fecking ball to drop. :\

22. dingster1 macrumors regular

Taking bets on how many drunks roll through the E.R.

23. Scepticalscribe, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Enjoy, sounds interesting.

I'm laughing at your post. To a certain extent, New Year's Eve is a construct, and the crowds make it a lot less pleasant, too, agreed.

I like the way your mind works.

Nice one.

Well, 8 or 9 in the evening (20.00 or 21.00) strikes me as a bit early to bed, but I see where you are coming from re the New Year.

Sounds as though it could well be a good night.

They may say that, @maflynn but I, for one, rather like my sleep, - and have always liked my sleep - and age is no inhibitor in that regard.

Agreed. A good night's sleep is a necessity, not a luxury.

Re New Year's Eve, I have never understood the hype, and recall that in the years when I headed out to party, it was almost always an underwhelming experience. Moreover, quite a number of hotels and restaurants seemed to see it as an opportunity to serve poor quality snacks at outrageous prices.

These days, I enjoy it a lot more if I am based abroad for work reasons - and I have been abroad for quite a few New Year's celebrations. In my experience, that adds a certain piquant atmosphere to proceedings - and indeed, appreciation of - proceedings.

At the moment, I am at home, and, as for tomorrow night, I shall be at home and will be baby-sitting Mother, who has dementia, as the carer has asked for permission to attend a party. In fairness, she rarely goes out at night, and there is no compelling reason for me to head out, so - for the second year running - the carer will see the witching hour coincide with ringing in the New Year, while I will - more than likely - sip something by myself.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

What I do every other night of the year pretty much, hang out on MR.
    Never really been that big on New Years.
    The worst one was 2000. I was so ill, with such a bad head and flu, that I really didn't want the fireworks to go on for so long! Twice as long as normal.

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You are absolutely right. "Doing nothing" really means hanging out on MR a lot of the time, doesn't it?

Anyway, it seems that we both will be consumed and kept busy by baby-sitting duties, of one sort or another.

The carer had wanted a few days off, but I vetoed that; she has already and three days off over Christmas, and had a week off while Mother was in respite.