Newbie help with iChat account

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by testcard, Apr 20, 2009.

1. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

After a week with my new MacBook I decided to set up an iChat account. Checked with the Mac 101 : iChat page here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2515 followed the onscreen instructions and got an @mac.com account, confirmed with an email from Apple. However. a Mac-based friend has told me that I actually need an @me.com account for iChat. Is this actually true? If so. I'll sign up for the 60-day free trial and take it from there. If I went for a @me.com account, can I delete the @mac.com account from iChat? Thanks for any advice.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The .me and .mac should function the same, though they're trying to get everyone over to the .me suffix.

You can also use AIM with iChat AV. Create another account, and use your AIM username and password. If you don't have AIM already, you can sign up for a chat-only account in a few seconds.

3. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

i personally prefer to use my gmail account with ichat.

i dont fancy paying for online storage of that stuff with mobileme (our internet connection here is balls so that sort of stuff doesnt work)

gmail is free, works with msn messenger and ichat so that means less email accounts for me

4. testcard thread starter macrumors 68020

testcard

Thanks for the reply. Just realised I probably posted this in the wrong part of the forum - is so, apologies.