Newbie MacBook Pro problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by e7000, Aug 2, 2013.

1. e7000 Guest

Hello. Have just purchased my first mac which is a mid 2010 macbook pro. I bought it second hand, it's immaculate, and the seller said he had restored everything, applied all the updates and it was running mountain lion. So far so good. But. He also said it came with ilife as standard. Erm - where exactly do I find this? It is not showing on the dock at the bottom of the screen. I believe it includes itunes, iphoto and various other things, but can only see itunes on the dock. So - am I right in assuming that ilife is not present? Or am I just not looking in the right place?

Also - and this is a biggy. The keyboard seems stiff. Now I have never used a mac before, so I would like to know if this is normal to have a stiffer keyboard, as I am seriously thinking of asking for a refund just on this one issue. You have to press quite hard to type (I'm a fast typist and not used to having to do this). If you don't press quite hard enough it misses a letter causing typos, or not putting spaces in where they should be. If this is normal with a mac keyboard - having to press harder, then I am stuck with it. However, if it isn't normal, I will send it back. Thanks for your time!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iLife is Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie. All found in the applications folder.

If the keyboard seems stiff, go to an Apple Store and tryout the keyboards for same type of Macs. If they match, then its good, if not, contact seller.

3. e7000 thread starter Guest

Thank you for that. So - I am totally new to the mac - is applications folder where you click on 'go' at the top and then 'applications' on the drop down menu? Or is it when you click on launchpad on the dock (or do both do the same?!) If so, I only have itunes in there.

We live out in the sticks - nearest apple store is a couple of hours away, so hope I don't end up having to do that! Just wondered if anyone knew if it is normal to have to bash the keys so hard to avoid making typos.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, click on the finder icon. On your left hand side there should be a list of locations. On of those locations is called "Applications"

Look in there. Bash the keys? No, hardly. Apple keyboards are soft and easy type. (sort of speaking, I don't have an exact description of the feeling)

5. e7000 thread starter Guest

Ok - when I click on finder, all that is there on the drop down menu is:
    About Finder
    Preferences
    Empty Trash (greyed out)
    Secure Empty Trash (greyed out)
    Services (leading to 'No Services Apply' greyed out and Services Preferences
    Hide Finder (greyed out)
    Hide Others (greyed out)
    Show all (greyed out)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Click on your dock the Finder Icon
    Finder2.png

This will open a window and from there you can click on the application from the sidebar. Scroll down to find the application
    Applications1.png

7. e7000 thread starter Guest

Thank you! Still only itunes there. If I look under photos there is just the photo booth.

----------

Ok - so it doesn't have ilife installed. I could accept that, even though seller said it was included. So now I just have to decide if the keyboard is acceptable. I am typing this now on our family pc. I'm a fast, two-finger typist, and can fly when typing. On the macbook pro keyboard I had to slow down as was making constant typos unless I hit the keys harder. The keys feel a bit spongey, but mainly the touch just doesn't seem light enough. If you press a key, the letter should show without undue pressure, surely.

8. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

You certainly should not have to mash the keyboard. There should be way more apps in applications folder than just iTunes even without iLife.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is what I think is going on. That 2010 Macbook would have come with the Snow Leopard 10.6 version and two, grey install DVDs. The first installer is the OS and there should be a second DVD that has the iLife apps. Do you have those grey DVDs?

It sounds like the seller erased the drive and installed Mountain Lion on there. That would not include iLife apps unless he reinstalled them from the DVD (sounds like he did not).

At this point if you don't have that grey DVD or can't get it from the seller, you only option is to buy the three iLife apps (iPhoto/iMovie/Garageband) form the App Store if you want them.

A side issue... like I mentioned, your machine did not come with Mountain Lion. This means the seller bought it in the App Store with his AppleID. So if you ever go to reinstall Mountain Lion, you will be prompted for HIS AppleID, which you won't have and you will be sunk. You might want to go to the App Store and purchase Mountain Lion for yourself so you don't get stuck like this.

iTunes is not part of the iLife suite and is free to DL from Apple here.

10. e7000 thread starter Guest

Thanks for your help everyone. Well I contacted the seller, and yes you were right, the software came on dvd. It was actually in a folder in the box, and not on the laptop. He kindly offered to give me a refund as I wasn't happy about the keyboard being stiff, although he did point out that macs do have firmer keyboards, so all ended amicably. Except I now don't have a macbook! I really liked the screen, and the software. So - any recommendations as to a set up with a keyboard that is excellent for writing/typing? Or is that a silly question?! I do a lot of writing on the laptop, so the keyboard is really important. This has kind of put me off the macbook pro now though, just in case the stiffness was normal! Couldn't keep typing with missed letters and spaces though.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would not say a Mac keyboard is firm at all, but it is definitely not going to feel the same as a full size desktop KB primarily because of the very short stroke of the key press.

What is your budget if you don't mind me asking? Apple has some pretty good deals in their online refurnished store here that might suit you.

You could also use just about any external keyboard with a Mac laptop. You could use either an Apple or other brand Bluetooth keyboard. Logitech makes some nice BT keyboards. Heck... if you are attached to that PC KB you are using, if it is USB you can just plug that into your Mac laptop and it will work perfectly.