Newbie Purging

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Just wondering if anyone has ever contemplated cleaning up the MacRumors Member directory by removing newbies who have only ever made a few posts and whom haven't been active for a certain period of time. I can imagine there must be several newbies who have only ever made 1 post and have no intentions of coming back for whatever reason, so perhaps after a period time, let's say a year, of inactivity, would it really be a big deal if someone was to remove their account?

Any thoughts? Just trying to keep MacRumors a lean, clean machine! :cool:

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
~Shard~ said:
Just wondering if anyone has ever contemplated cleaning up the MacRumors Member directory by removing newbies who have only ever made a few posts and whom haven't been active for a certain period of time. I can imagine there must be several newbies who have only ever made 1 post and have no intentions of coming back for whatever reason, so perhaps after a period time, let's say a year, of inactivity, would it really be a big deal if someone was to remove their account?

Any thoughts? Just trying to keep MacRumors a lean, clean machine! :cool:
I agree. The members list is almost useless, even if you know who you're looking for. :p

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I don't think they'll do this unless they had some sort of major crash .... I mean plenty of people lurk here all the time and some log in to make one or two posts ...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Kwyjibo said:
I don't think they'll do this unless they had some sort of major crash .... I mean plenty of people lurk here all the time and some log in to make one or two posts ...
Yeah, I know it's tough to track those people, and we wouldn't want to accidentally delete them! Still though, it would be nice to have some way to clean things up. Perhaps if certain criteria is met (i.e. 1 post recorded and no activity in 1 year) MR could send out an e-mail to the individual inquiring if they still consider themselves an "active" member. No response, bye-bye account.

Just some thoughts...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I really see no real big advnatage in doing it, and it being a lot of trouble to do it without deleteing some real accounts.

Besides, there are other benefits from having a registered account even with no posts.... those who reg'd before october can edit the wiki pages.

arn

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
arn said:
I really see no real big advnatage in doing it, and it being a lot of trouble to do it without deleteing some real accounts.

Besides, there are other benefits from having a registered account even with no posts.... those who reg'd before october can edit the wiki pages.

arn
Good point arn - I forgot about the wiki pages. And, as you say, it would be a shame to delete a legitimate account by accident. I was thinking about this more for you and the admin's sake, as I could care less myself, but if you don't have any issues with it, then hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

As I said, just a thought. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Why, then members like looprumors would not be able to stop by once or twice a year and spam his sites link all over the place. ;)

Plus, it would be just as worthwhile to also get rid of those members who post too much if you get rid of those posting too little. :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Lacero said:
Maybe we should delete arn. :p :eek:

I KEED! or am I?
So, getting banned once just wasn't enough for ya, Lacero? :eek: :p ;)

dmw007 said:
While I don't quite agree with the idea- I do like the sound of the phrase "Newbie Purging" :D
Well, if nothing else, thanks for that. ;)

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
On a technical side, I also don't see how trimming the member list will help (I believe this forum had that table properly indexed). Also, keeping that list will help Arn in promoting the amount of viewership of this forum to any potential advertisers.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
~Shard~ said:
So, getting banned once just wasn't enough for ya, Lacero? :eek: :p ;)
I think he plans on following in Papa Educk's shoes by continuing to be a PIA, then 2 millionth poster, and finally the newest mod. ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Sun Baked said:
I think he plans on following in Papa Educk's shoes by continuing to be a PIA, then 2 millionth poster, and finally the newest mod. ;)
Good to know I'm not the only one who thought of that series of events... ;)

"he"? :confused: :eek: ;)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
To better understand, I think we need to step into our G5 Time Machine and take a look at our past.....in the beginning.....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/000021/

....we used to have guest accounts.;)
A mac newbie could simply come to ask a question and then peacefully leave when his question was answered.
But, this certainly was taken away for a reason. There could be concerns about spamming, but ultimately would cut down on the hordes of newbies.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Beligerent said:
yeah im a lurker. i think i have like 5 or 6 post but im here every single day.
Yeah, we definitely don't want to be getting rid of people like you - mind you, at least you are a member, not a newbie. ;) :)

As I initially said, just a thought - but it does indeed look like it would be best just to keep things the way they are. There are some good reasons behind keeping things the same, and no real reasons from a technical/admin point of view to make any changes.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
there are ways to prune members via all sorts of criteria (e.g., member has not signed in for a year, etc.)
not a bad thought, some of them are holding up good usernames. :p

edit: duh, i could have read the replies first. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.