Newbie Q's re: Macbook Keyboard Ins/Del; Tabbed Browsing; & Maximizing...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by r-gordon-7, Feb 12, 2008.

1. r-gordon-7 macrumors newbie

Having now spent my very first evening with my very first Mac (my brand new black Macbook SR w/4GB & 250GB HD), here are some questions (probably quite simple ones) that my initial trial and error session did not solve …

1. I see the Macbook’s “delete” key seems to act as the “backspace” key on a PC (e.g. it deletes the character immediately to the left of the cursor and moves the cursor one space to the left) – but where is the Macbook’s equivalent to the PC’s ”delete” key (e.g. a key that deletes the character immediately to the right of the cursor “pulls” the text on the right of the cursor one space to the left… ) Hopefully there’s a simple, direct way to do this on the Macbook – and equally hopefully it’s through a dedicated key and not a key toggle shared with the delete key or some other key…

2. Does the Macbook have an “insert” key to toggle between inserting text and over-writing text to the left?

3. How do I do tabbed browsing in Safari…? I see there are various ways of opening a new tab when clicking on a link, but haven’t found a way to open a new tab absent clicking on a link (e.g. to open the new tab and then go to a bookmark or to open a new tab and enter a new url manually, without first having to close the existing iteration of Safari…)

4. Clicking on the “maximize” button doesn’t seem to actually maximize to full screen (and, as I’m used to a large 17” screen on my old HP laptop, I’d at least like to maximize use of the 13.3” available on my Macbook as much as possible by viewing my applications in a full screen…) Do I have to manually drag the window fully open using the cursor and the “drag-able” window size control in the lower right corner of the window each time I open the window - or is there a way to set the “maximize” button to default to a true “maximize to full-screen size” whenever it is clicked?)

I’m sure there are simple answers to these questions – I just wasn’t able to find them during yesterday evening’s introductory trial and error session…

Obviously this will all take some getting used to…

One thing I did especially like was two-finger scrolling!!

I also liked the Macbook’s keyboard itself… frankly, it reminded me of my very first computer keyboard from 1984… the PCjr “Chicklet” keyboard, which though much maligned in its day, I found easier to type on error-free than any keyboard I’ve used since then… So, to me, comparing the Macbook keyboard to that one is actually a huge compliment!

Trial and error session number two begins tonight after work… can’t wait!!

Thanks,
    r-gordon-7

2. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

Well I'm a pretty new Mac user myself but I'm pretty sure that the delete key on mac keyboards is equivalent to backspace and delete keys on windows.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3 not sure its what you mean but pessing the command key then clicking on
    a link opens up a tab or cmd+t

4 if you open up safari and drag your home page to full screen it should re-open that way once its closed

4. trev macrumors 6502

delete (mac) = backspace (PC)
    delete (fn+delete) = delete (PC)
    -----------------
    open a new tab is cmd+t ... cmd+w to close it
    -----------------
    no such thing as maximizing on mac... it's all "minimized" windows... easier for navigation and multitasking. Plus, it just looks more fun.

Trevor

p.s. welcome to mac!

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

On a MacBook, the keyboard doesn't really have room for a dedicated forward delete key. They're there on the USB keyboards if you really need it. But on a MacBook it's fn + Delete, as said above.

Nope. Never had an insert key.

Cmd + T.

It's not a maximize button. It's a "zoom" or "optimize" button that (in most applications) dynamically resizes the window to include the maximal amount of information possible. If your window is bigger than it needs to be to view everything in it, it'll even make it smaller for you. It optimizes the size of your window to most efficiently use your screen space. There's no such "maximize" button, but if you really, really want, there are a few third-party apps you can download to change it into a Windows-like maximize.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. fn-delete
    2. Thank heavens no.
    3. Command-T
    4. Same answer as to Mac users who hate windows on Windows grabbing the whole screen and ask how to prevent it - you can't.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you don't want to see the other applications, then use command-option-h to hide others (this command is also accessed from the application menu, e.g. the Firefox menu if you're in Firefox).