Newbie Switcher 1st Macbook Pro Processor Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OnAirNow, Apr 16, 2010.

1. OnAirNow macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've been reading these forums for a while now but this is my first post.

I know that these updates aren't to everyones taste but I had decided to get my first Macbook as soon as the new models were released. Given the 5 year old, dog slow, Windows laptop I'm using now, I'm certain I won't be disappointed with the new machine.

With that in mind, it'd be great if I could get some advice from the more experienced Mac users here...

The 15" model is the perfect size for me so that's the easy decision made! As far as processor speed is concerned I'm leaning towards the i5 2.4ghz model - for the additional costs involved in upping the processor speed I wonder if anyone thinks I'd notice much difference when running Photoshop or Pro Tools LE / Logic Express? If the likely difference is negligible I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. The HD will be 500gb but do you think the 7200rpm option is worthwhile for my needs? I've heard it runs loud and hot, but I've no first hand experience of them.

Thanks.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Heck, get a CD2 from the refurb nook and save even more. PS runs just fine on an "old" (as in new last monday) C2D MBP.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

hundreds of Thousands (if not more) of 2.5 7200 RPM 500 gig drives out in the world and few if any of them run loud or hot.

I run the entire Adobe Creative Suite on a 2.4 Core 2 Duo AL iMac w/4 gigs ram and it handles it all without even breaking a sweat. And I'm talking multi hundred meg Photoshop files. Not a bunch of crappy 72 DPI images.

$1669AR http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=11301116&cac=Result

You could always up the drive later, its 'easy'
    http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_15_unibody_mid09/

4. estudio13 macrumors newbie

The newes, the bigger, the faster, the better

Hey OnAirNow!

IMHO, if you're about to invest in a new machine, it is better to spend a little bit more to get the newest machine. I'm running Pro Tools 8.0 LE on my MacBook Pro (just 16 months old!) and it runs just fine, but I had the chance to see PT running on one of the new MBP, and MY GOD! You can stack plugin over plugin and it just doesn't choke!

I have the 7200 rpm HD, and I've recorded 8 tracks @ 48 kHz / 24 bits in about 6 minute takes without any problem. Definitely, go for the fastest internal drive, although it's better to record on an external - best if it's powered - drive.

Best, and congratulations for your new Mac!

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

6. JNickyJJ macrumors member

in my opinion, as stated above, if you can afford it, you may aswell get the best you can get, which for you is the i5[​IMG] especially if you want it to last as long as your old laptop!

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I have checked prices on the UK refurbished store. The new MBPs are all better value for money than the old ones, obviously. But prices of refurbished MacBooks haven't been adjusted (yet). So for example what used to be the "better" 13" MBP is actually less good than the new "cheaper" 13" MBP, but it costs the same even though it is refurbished. So you may have to wait a bit for refurbished prices to adjust.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

as you are running PS, Logic Pro and Pro Tools - i would suggest go the i5 and up the RAM if you think you will need it.

how intensely will you be using these programs?

the i7 CPU is ALOT faster then the i5 for multithreaded tasks, as there are more threads.

9. OnAirNow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone... I thought I might get flamed for asking such a 'newbie' question, but so far the :apple: community is living up to my expectations!

PS will be used more frequently that Pro Tools. I'm a professional broadcaster so usually outsource audio production but have heard everyone rave about Pro Tools so might find that I end up doing more of the work for air myself! That said, the level of use I'll be giving PT will be undoubtedly be at the light end of the scale and will be for manipulating existing audio rather than recording directly.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hehe great to hear :p

aahhh i see. hmm well in that case i think the i5 processor will be pretty great for you. good longevity, as well as being powerful..

the stuff you are after seems to be more RAM!

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No, no, I don't think so...
    Pretty sure both i5 and i7 are dual core, 4 thread CPUs. The only difference is clock speed and a tiny bit of cache. That's it. Wikipedia says so. (First result for a google of "Nehalem") Basically, the speed increase for the 2.66 i7 over the 2.4 i5 is only gonna be ~10%.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no, i could have sworn the i5 is 2C/2T and the i7 is 2C/4T, thus giving the i7 roughly 30% more power.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Incorrect.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok, so i was wrong :p

however, the TB differences are apparent.

i5

i7

and will therefore hopefully give a performance increase bigger of what i indicated :p (for some things)

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I run the entire Adobe Creative Suite on a 2.4 Core 2 Duo AL iMac w/4 gigs ram and it handles it all without even breaking a sweat. And I'm talking multi hundred meg Photoshop files. Not a bunch of crappy 72 DPI images.