Newest Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rnimz, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Rnimz macrumors newbie

I am going to buy a Macbook Pro soon, probably in Q2. I was wondering if the newest one out right now has certain internals.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000 or better / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz or better
    RAM: Windows XP - 1.5 GB, Windows Vista and Windows 7 - 2 GB, PCs using a built-in graphical chipset - 2 GB recommended
    Video Card: ATI X1800 or better*, nVidia 7800 or better*, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*
    DVD-ROM: 8x or better

Thank you in advance

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Currently the entry model MacBook Pro comes with

2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 (Speedboost up to 3.6GHz)
    4GB Ram
    Intel HD 3000
    DVD SuperDrive

It matches all the specs above, except you will have to install Windows OS on the computer yourself, as Mac computers do not come with Windows.

The 15 and 17 inch both are quad core and have dedicated AMD Radeon HD graphics, too.

3. onions macrumors member

4. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

Star wars the old republic

----------

5. onions macrumors member

all the specs are better, but i'd go for a machine with a discrete graphics card.

by the time Q2 rolls around, the newest mbp's should be announced if not available by then.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ok, in computer land, "soon" and "in 4-6 month" are not compatible. A new MBP model is expected for Q2.

OS: Windows XP (SP3)/ Vista / Windows 7 No. It's a mac, it comes with OSX. You will have to buy Windows separately.
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000 or better / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz or better Yes!
    RAM: Windows XP - 1.5 GB, Windows Vista and Windows 7 - 2 GB, PCs using a built-in graphical chipset - 2 GB recommended Yes, they come with 4GB at least
    Video Card: ATI X1800 or better*, nVidia 7800 or better*, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better* Yes, the 15'' and 17'' models. The 13'' has a Intel 3000 GPU, not sure where that one stands
    DVD-ROM: 8x or better Yes

7. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

----------

OS: Windows XP (SP3)/ Vista / Windows 7 No. It's a mac, it comes with OSX. You will have to buy Windows separately.

What about boot camp?

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Boot Camp is nothing more than a multi-boot utility. It will assist you in partitioning your HDD and installing your copy of Windows and the appropriate drivers. Holding down the Option (⌥) key during start up will allow you to select which OS (Windows or Mac) you wish to boot.

More information on Boot Camp can be found here: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Get the 15"

To be honest, even a 2006 MBP would meet that spec...

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Bootcamp will allow you to install windows. However, you still need to buy a copy of Windows 7 to install it. I'm not sure what the cheapest (legal!) option is here, anyone?

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

OEM license most likely, however it can't legally be transferred off the machine it's originally installed on at a later date. The other less likely option is a student license if the OP is fortunate enough to be in education or have children that are.

12. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM = $99
    Windows 7 Professional with Student Pricing = $39
    Windows 7 Professional if you are a member of the MSDNAA = Free

SWTOR isn't a hard game to run at all though... you'll be fine. My gaming PC eats it alive and there are videos on youtube of people running it on current MacBook Pro's with Windows 7 and getting around 30+ FPS.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

On a newer machine the ability to transfer activation shouldn't matter too much at this point. By the time you need to replace a new computer, Windows should have Windows 8 or whatever out.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

You can find detailed specifications on Apple's website itself.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think that you should definitely get the 15"...as much as I love my 13", I wish it had come with a dedicated graphics card.

16. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

This is my current MPB. It is very very old as you can see. Say I wiped out all the memory would I then be able to download bootcamp??

----------

If you need more info on it let me know.

17. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Such a good game! I've been loving it!

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Do you understand the difference between Memory (RAM) and permanent storage (HDD)?

Also:
    http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Note that you can only download the version that corresponds to your OSX version.

19. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I do understand the difference and thank you for the link.

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ok. I just didn't understand what you meant by "wiping out all the memory to be able to download bootcamp."

Most likely the GPU will be the dealbreaker to run SWTOR on your machine. There's a long thread in the Games section of this forum. Maybe you could ask there about whether your old machine can handle the game.

21. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

It handled WoW beautifully. Is Swtor so much more advanced?

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

WoW is 7 years old.

The system requirements of SWTOR are relatively low, given that it's a new title.

23. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

24. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You can even upgrade your Mac to Lion if you wanted to. I don't know why you think your Mac is "very very old"

25. Rnimz thread starter macrumors newbie

I only think that because it is from 2007