Newest MBA - still cr@ppy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by snowboarder, Apr 2, 2008.

1. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Any update about the just bought MBA's? Still hot, fan cr@p, core shutdown etc?
    It seems to be in stock everywhere and the prices are going down...
    But if it's still broken, I'd wait for revB...

2. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Obviously you only pay attention to the negative posts out there. There are alot of very, very satisfied MBA owners, me being one of them. I have no fan, heat, or core shutdown issues at all. I just switched from a PC and love every moment that I am on my MBA. It is by far the best laptop I have ever used and I highly recommend it.

3. Dranin macrumors newbie

I bought one about two weeks ago, and I have none of the problems described through this forum. I regularly run VMware Fussion, play WoW (longest time 2 hrs), and normal webstuff without problems.

4. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

This was a problem that only affected the first production run of the MBA.

That problem was fixed weeks ago.

5. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

I bought my macbook air about 2 weeks ago and besides the networking issues I don't have no core, fan, and heat issues whatsoever.

6. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

I have a Week 03 production one with no issues so far.

7. teek macrumors member

teek

I have a week 7 and it's a piece of crap. I am calling apple tomorrow for a return. Worthless piece of junk. I've had it.

No (Windows) PC have issues like these, ever.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Week 10 here. Everything seems to work fine. The behavior of the fan is different from any of the other Apple notebooks (PowerBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook) I've owned, but it's also the least hot feeling Apple notebook I've ever owned.

9. Particular macrumors member

I have a week 8 same sentiment as above

10. RedAbundance macrumors member

just bought last wednesday... mainly cosmetic issues for me. my first air (week 11) the mag latch doesn't keep the laptop closed. the second one (week 10) has minor flaws on the bezel of the screen. also THEY BOTH WOBBLE. and video playback using realplayer is just a mess.

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    real player :eek:, was and is a resource hog

12. RedAbundance macrumors member

yeah i know... it's annoying, espcially when it's almost unavoidable because this site uses realplayer exclusively for its contents...
    i can deal with poor graphics, however it gives me HIVES when it wobbles... does macbook pro wobbles as well?

13. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Prices are going down? Really? Where?

14. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I bought one about 6 weeks ago. The footprint size is driving me ***** crazy. Are the footprints smaller yet? :rolleyes::D

15. snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

So it is clearly a gamble. I have an Apple store close by, so it's not
    such a big deal to take it there and exchange it if something is wrong...
    How cool are they in dealing with MBA cr@p? Do people exchange theirs
    easily if fan/core/heat issue shows up?

Look up prices online, $100 off in a number of stores already...

16. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

I have a week 11 build, and no fan or heating issues at all ! Fan stays at 2499rpm and theres no heat and loud noise issues, im very very happy with my Air ! Also battery health is at 100% !

17. AstroHouse macrumors member

As many attest. My week 5 has performed admirably. No problems at all. As an added bonus I seem to have the only MBA with a screen that opens almost 180 degrees!

18. dzhiurgis macrumors member

dzhiurgis

eBay I suppose. I got one for $1800 with applecare. No sales taxes, only shipping $200 and $500 to customs... Thank god the dollar is so weak these days :)

p.s. greetings from Lithuania :D
    p.p.s. yeah, wherever it is...

19. jchoiny macrumors newbie

MBA - the best laptop ever

Not sure which week mine is from, but I got it in late Feb. The only problem I had was that I had to do the fresh install from the enclosed DVD because the factory install left me about 10 GB of free space on my HD. Somehow the factory installed it three times or something. After the fresh install, mine has been rock solid. No overheating problems. I always leave it on and restart only when needed (software updates, etc). I don't think I ever heard any fan or HD noise. It's the quietest and lightest laptop I've ever owned. I haven't had any problems with video/movie playing either from files or discs. The display is beautiful and the build is absolutely fantastic. I carry it in my shoulder bag (Tamrac camera bag) every day to work. Since it's always on, there's no wait when I just pop it open. Most importantly, it has never crashed ...!...which is hard to get used to, coming from years of PC frustration. With Office 2008, I have had no compatibility problems exchanging files between my PC desktop running Vista. Now I gotta get a Mac desktop.....

20. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

What is the problem with the bezel? Mine has been great..no issues here but there is a small bump on my bezel..where the magnet is on the top left side. Just wondering if yours is the same?

21. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Bold

Bold statement for this forum! You got b*lls. But I agree.

I'm interested in those that say theirs is perfect. Are they saying that they can:
    1) Play video without choppiness or fans maxed out at 6200?
    2) That other than video that the fans don't periodically crank to 6200 doing minor things?
    3) Run Parallels and one office app without fans cranking to 6200?

I just can't believe that so many people complain but that the others are perfect especially when they try 2 and 3 MBA's.

Come on. Can you really say your fans don't crank often to 6200 or do you just not care when it does?

Tell me if your fans don't (or very very very rarely) crank.

I personally believe that the MBA is flawed by design with regard to heat and that those who say its perfect are deaf or lying. I can't believe that the complainers are just those poor 5%-ers.

Anyone with a perfect MBA in the Baltimore-Washington Area, meet me for lunch with your MBA and prove to me how quiet it is. I'll buy lunch.

[NC Guy, Your turn... I also get down to Charlotte, NC sometimes. Maybe we should meet for lunch, make peace, and then let me hear a perfect MBA?]

22. raremage macrumors 6502a

I don;t onsider mine perfect, but I run XP in a VM all day long without the fan cranking up to 6200. I typically run Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio, and Project. no fan acceleration.

When I DO see the fan wind up is when I'm gaming. I just finished about 45 minutes of Battle for Wesnoth and the fan is pinned. I don't game on my Mac a whole lot, but when I want to, I want it to work.

I'm seriously considering replacing the MBA with a new MBP. I love the weight and convenience of carrying it over my shoulder and barely realizing it's there, but I miss two things about the MBP: the video card, and the screen landscape. Have not decided yet, but it's very, very tempting.

23. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I'm in the same gray zone (assuming I could get an MBA like yours that works with normal applications).

24. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

How about you show us how unstable your MBA is.

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

I just watched 90 minutes (2 episodes) of Lipstick Jungle while copying a 29GB Aperture Library from an external USB to the MBAs internal... with Transmission seeding a bunch of torrents in the background.

About 5 minutes into the video, the fans cranked up to 6200 until the 29GB file copy completed. The remaining 55 minutes of the video, the fans ran at 2500. QuickTime shows this as the videos format:
    Xvid (Perian), 624 x 352, Thousands
    MPEG Layer 3, Stereo, 48.000 kHz

Doing minor things, the only time I've ever seen the fans crack up to 6200 was when Spotlight (mds) started indexing the drive.

I don't run Parallels, but I do spend a fair amount of time in Fusion. Depending on what I'm doing and how I have it displayed (i.e. full-screen in dedicated Space), the fans will rev between 2500 and 5000.

I mostly use my MBA on an iLap. Not sure if that helps it any.