[News] Disc-less XBox One - $399?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Jan 31, 2014.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

With those online game prices, I don't see it taking off.

3. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

The Xbox One to me was designed a digital game only system and Microsoft hates that they have to have discs still.

To me this is Microsofts true vision of what a console should be and I'd love to see it on the market to see how well it does.

4. Bear macrumors G3

I think there would be fewer video games given as gifts. Also, how many people use their game system to play DVDs and BluRay discs?

And how many people still have slow internet at their house that would make downloading games painful?

Will games always be downloadable in case you need to erase games to make room for new games and then decide you want to play a game you removed?

5. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Yea, when I first saw the non-working display of the PS4 at a Best Buy (they put a display PS3 and PS4 in their BR Player sections as well), I was like "where do the discs go?" :eek:

Seems like Sony last minute put the slot in and had already an area to put a drive in.

Will these generations of future redesigned "slim" models be disc-less?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Everyone I know with a PS3 watches blurays or DVDs on them.

Again, everyone I know with a PS3 here has a fast connection (Virgin or BT Infinity). There seems to be a healthy split of optical and download games on my friends & families systems. Speed isn't the issue.

I think the goal is to make it as seamless as possible. I think in due time game installations will be "smart" in that all your games are always listed, and to play them it keeps part of them offline and downloads the rest as necessary, with important files staying longer on the HDD. That's certainly possible with some types of games, although not for all.

-----

Console manufacturers have had ample time to show us the benefits of downloading games versus optical. The markups on digital games are much higher - no manufacturing, no printing, no logistics, no store taking a cut. Yet they continually price them equal or higher than retail. A £20 download game will bring in the same amount to the publisher and developer as a £40 retail game.

7. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Don't PS3 and PSP owners enjoy free or cheap games as downloads?

I understand that the next gen games were supposed to be $70-$80 for physical copies but people are reluctant to pay that after an expensive new console. So, $60 for a new game download is not out of the question.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

bar ps+ promotions the answer to that is a definitive no here.

Assassins Creed Black Flag PS3 current Retail RRP = €34.99 (old RRP €54.99-59.99)
    Assassins Creed Black Flag digital = €69.99

Its genuinely quite shocking the digital pricing of new games.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

PS3 no, PSP has been quite cheap for a while. The store is finally catching up to retail on that device, and that's a dead console now.

It'd be much better if the managers of these online stores would be quick to react. If one retail store is selling a game for X amount, then it's in their interests to do a flash sale for a couple of days. Slowly lowering the price of the game would be a good move too. There are so many old games on PSN and XBLA that are still full price, as if time froze on launch day.

10. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

You all seem to be forgetting that Sony and Microsoft are largely dependent on the retailers for games sales, so they have to play nice with them and can't undercut them on price. So they may be saving on costs big time by distributing digitally - but they can't pass it on to the consumer without angering retailers! It's the same for any product (TV, clothes, microwave, ...), really. Buying directly from the manufacturer is generally more expensive than buying from a retailer, even though far less cost is involved.

As long as disc-based retail copies of console games are available, the promise of cheap digital downloads will always be just that. A download-only console would be the only way to unleash the full cost benefit of digital distribution on the consumer. :(

11. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

O I C - I see that the games that were on the cheap were perhaps really, really old games, or smaller games that are download only (not worth manufacturing physical copies).

I'm hearing of the new Microsoft CEO, and they may spin-off XBox to be on its own...

12. bniu macrumors 6502a

This console generation, I've promised myself that I'm going download only. The benefits are terrific, I don't have discs cluttering up my shelf, all my games are available on my PS4 hard drive, I can switch in and out of games without getting up, if I go somewhere, I can just pack up my PS4 and go, I don't have to worry about discs getting scratched, and if my console gets stolen, all I need is a new console and I'm ready to download all my games again. The simplicity and clutter free of digital downloads is well worth it. I also don't trade in games because I like replaying old games, so trade in is not a factor to me. Plus, my state doesn't charge sales tax for digital downloads, so I basically buy my games "tax free".

13. kemo, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Very well said! I had a few disc games from the beginning of my gaming on PS3, but more I played more I downloaded the games instead of buying discs. Why ordering and waiting for discs to be delivered if I can just preorder/buy digital version and download it right away - and as mentioned above I don't trade/sell purchased games because I only purchase games I'm sure I'll like so I will definintely will be replaying those games in the near future.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Here in the UK game stores will ship games 2-3 days before launch which results in getting games 1-2 days before the official launch. So technically if I preorder a game I'll be playing before those who download. It might also be faster to order a game if your connection is slow enough (and current gen games are BIG).
    There's also the risk of the HDD filling up, if that happens you'll have to redownload it. A disc user doesn't have those limits. Like on my Vita now - I have the 32gb card but I'm constantly having to juggle what I want on it.

(Personally I go wherever is cheapest and most convenient. If I'm near a store and want a game I can get it and play it as soon as I'm home, instead of having to fire up the shop+download. My library has a good mix of disc+download but there are still so many benefits sticking with optical)

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I agree. Storage space is a limiting factor. With disc based games, I don't have to worry about filling up a hard drive. Speed is also a factor. With disc based games, I don't have to wait a day for the game to download. I can walk into a store, buy it, go home and start playing right away.

With a physical copy, I also get a nice library of games that I can display on the shelf. Another thing is that I am more likely to play a physical copy of game than a digital downloaded one. Seeing the game waiting for me on the shelf makes me want to play it. If its a game that I downloaded, its out of sight and out of mind....I'm less likely to think about or want to play it.

One last immediate advantage of a physical copy is if my console breaks. I can get a new console and start playing my games right away. If my games were all digital downloads, I would have redownload all of them...which could take days.

16. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I hate stores that do this with a passion. I have told them to the store workers in their face "why the **** are you putting this game on sale before it's official release date" Totally unethical and just plain wrong.

But moving right along, the main issue why a console with no optical drive is the internet. I won't want to spend a week to download 25GB of game just so I can play it. The ISP speeds are the bottleneck here. As is bandwidth limits too.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What's wrong about it? The games are guaranteed to be in the customers hands on launch day so they have to be shipped early. What's the solution... to have a special timed box that only opens on the day, to expedite each game?

Personally I love getting games early. Getting GTA 5 2 days before launch was great!

18. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

You don't see what's wrong about it? Let me inform you.
    The dates are there for a reason. The solution is make sure the game stores do the damn right thing. I know here at times when I order certain games like Blizzard ones the store makes me wait till 9 am on the day. So I chat tot hem for 30 mins then get the game and go. All good and I am glad the store did the right thing.

You think breaking the rules is good? Sure you get the game early if the rules are broken but personally I'd rather have the game when I am supposed to and have no rules broken.

If you don't care about this, then your loss, but I do care about it. And I only shop with stores that do the right thing in this respect.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You didn't say what the reason was :p.
    I don't care when games I've developed are sold early. Just wondering what the problem is, what the loss is and who is affected?

Game launches are any time on Steam, but usually the big ones launch at midnight in the customers respective country. Only very big games get midnight launches in stores. Is it then wrong to download a game at midnight, rather than waiting for the store to open in the morning? Is it okay for people who preorder to potentially miss a game's launch because they just happen to live far away from the stores shipping depot?

20. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

That would be another pro for downloads - when they release a game, it is released when they say and to everyone at the same time...

21. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

The reasons are these:
    - More incentives for in game festivities on the day
    - The knowledge you did the right thing
    - Listening to the developers wishes (on their wanted release date)
    - The customers can show up on the release day and still get the game. The really popular ones can be sold out before the release day at unethical game retailers
    - etc etc

You know the release day. You make your plans to get to the store on that day to get your game, or you wait till you can get it. Pretty simple.

"Is it then wrong to download a game at midnight, rather than waiting for the store to open in the morning?"
    No because it's both happening on release day. The only difference is when the developer has a release time as well as a date. Blizzard are big for having a time. Usually 9am on the day for in store (unless it's a midnight physical launch)

The dates are there for a reason. Maybe you don't care but other devs most certainly do. And I side with the game developers here. A release day is set for a reason, lets please stick to it.

22. Lefty21 macrumors regular

My favorite line of the article:

"That would likely cause gamers to believe that the model with a Blu-ray drive is overpriced, or would cause them to believe that Microsoft is greedy," he added."

:eek::eek::eek:

23. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

It's a good idea and Microsoft should go with it. It's more like the Steam distribution design. It wouldn't suit everyone but I think they would sell enough of them to make it worthwhile.

I would consider it if we didn't have 2 xbox ones as it's easier to play and share disc based games. If they brought back the family sharing I would pick one up especially if it was much smaller.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The reason is to keep all the retail stores on the same footing. Games (or any product) typically arrive well before the release date. It gives wiggle room for unforeseen shipping errors as well as gives time for employes to do inventory, prep display areas and otherwise prepare for the launch (much less of a deal on smaller games of course).

Why would distance make a difference as long as you didn't miss the order cut off time? If the company knows they have to get a package to you by Tuesday, for example, they will ship it early enough so that it gets to you by Tuesday.

It negatively impacts the stores that follow embargo rules and if there were no embargoes then stores that get shipments earlier in the day would have an advantage over stores that aren't first on the delivery route.

It's no different than embargoes on the media. People get copies of the games, trailers, interview footage, etc., ahead of time so they can prep and prepare and then everyone 'goes live' with their coverage at the same time.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Those are very silly, unrealistic reasons. What game has "festivities" on launch day? Even Pokemon's "launch event" lasts for a few months. What's stopping games that feature this from doing it on the day? Is it unethical to ship games late instead, it can take 1-4 days for First Class mail to travel around the UK after all.

So I'm not to order a game online, instead spend 60 minutes driving there and back to my nearest city to queue up and hope the store still has copies in?

I've never met a developer that's as hell bent on sticking to release dates as you :p. Not even the publishers I've worked with are that bad, and they're the ones that control release dates, not the developers. It's a non-issue.

Because mail is unpredictable. And the stores in the UK have 1 big distribution centre each. You can't accurately predict the arrival times of items.

But all the highstreet stores also sell online. Nobody is missing out.

Press embargoes usually end way before preorders ship. I think the closest to launch is 1 week, 5 days before anything is sent out. There is no chance of ruining anything. And bear in mind they only apply to press, when I've had games early from the biggest of studios they've actually encouraged talking about the game.