News Flash: Apple Special Event Planned 1st Week in July

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Clink

Apple has planned a special press event first Thursday of July. It will be like the event of last October.
Appleinsider & MacBidouille said:
Apple Computer is distributing media alert and invitations to a special event that will take place on Thursday, July 7th, but the company is not yet offering details.

Apple news site MacBidouille is one of several French publications that claims to have received a media alert pertaining to the event. It's noted that a similar message was presented to the publication just prior the Oct., 2004 Apple music event that saw the launch of the iPod photo.

According to the web report, Apple is asking the media to reserve some time on the first Thursday of July to cover new Apple products and announcements.

Industry sources believe the event may very likely coincide with the planned high-profile launch of iTunes 4.9 with Podcasting support. Sources had previously stated that the software due for launch by the first week of July.

Sources also tell AppleInsider that the event could also play host to new iPod offerings, which may include second-generation iPod shuffles and possibly fifth-generation iPods.

It's not been stated where the event will take place, but last year Apple utilized the San Jose's California Theater to introduce the iPod photo in a similar media event.
New iPods? iTunes 4.9.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Seems to me like perfect time to coordinate the releases of iTunes 4.9 and the 5th Gen iPods...

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Hopefully the new 5th generation iPods. They need some type of refreshing... either new UI or new feature, something!

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
ham_man said:
Seems to me like perfect time to coordinate the releases of iTunes 4.9 and the 5th Gen iPods...
It would be perfect for the 1 year cycle the ipod goes through. The 4th gen came out in mid-July.
I personally dislike the 4G design, it doesn't turn me on like the 3G did.

I remember reading that Portal Player was releasing there new chip with the recorded 50 hour battery life this summer. Put the puzzle pieces together. ;)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Daveway said:
I remember reading that Portal Player was releasing there new chip with the recorded 50 hour battery life this summer. Put the puzzle pieces together. ;)
I believe they already put that in the iPod mini 2g, thus the 18 hours of battery life :confused:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Something totally unexpected would be nice. Keep the rumor sites on their toes. ;)

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
kainjow said:
I believe they already put that in the iPod mini 2g, thus the 18 hours of battery life :confused:
No, because it was announced in the spring, not released. I could be wrong.

This French site is reporting the Motorola phone will also be unveiled. Translation please.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
How about a new iPod with the storage of the iPod photo, the looks of the iPod mini and the sound quality of the iPod shuffle? However, I fear it's just going to be that damn phone. :(

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
Only iPods?

Does anyone not think this is only iPod related? Given that computer sales have probably slowed after the intel announcement and that SJ said more products were on the way, isn't this a good time to announce some new computer updates or a brand new piece of hardware to get folks interested in hardware again? I was personally hoping for that half iBook thingy :D

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
jwp1964 said:
Does anyone not think this is only iPod related? Given that computer sales have probably slowed after the intel announcement and that SJ said more products were on the way, isn't this a good time to announce some new computer updates or a brand new piece of hardware to get folks interested in hardware again? I was personally hoping for that half iBook thingy :D
I don't think Intel Macs are completely out of the question. I know it would surprise everyone, including me, but it fits. Jobs doesn't want to not make his promise of in the marketplace by WWDC 2006, so I'm sure he's giving himself plenty of room for error.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
what about those new ibooks... widescreen remember? or has everyone forgot about that rumor.. hehe :eek:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Daveway said:
No, because it was announced in the spring, not released. I could be wrong.

This French site is reporting the Motorola phone will also be unveiled. Translation please.
Or use Sherlock or that Dashboard translation widget. Let your Mac translate French.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
aspro said:
itunes 4.9 with australian store?
Close. I've heard that the event will announce iTunes 4.9, new iPods, and that there will never, ever be iTMS in Australia. Ever.
it sure is taking a long time.. ;)
Eternity is strange like that.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Applespider said:
I vote iTunes 4.9 and new iPods along with everyone else

but I'll raise you the iTunes Motorola phone...

I read today on engadget that the phone was in the final stages of negotiation for cingular (damn i have verizon :( )

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
runninmac said:
I read today on engadget that the phone was in the final stages of negotiation for cingular (damn i have verizon :( )
verizon always gets the crappy phones :rolleyes: