Newton Mail for iOS and Mac is Back for $50/Year

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2019.

1. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Paying $50 per year for what many offer for free and some for a one-time purchase. I hate subscriptions.

2. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

For me, and I email quite a bit, Apple Mail + SpamSieve works just fine.

3. Stevez67 macrumors member

Stevez67

Odd perspective, I use the Apple mail app exclusively on both my MacBook Pro and iPhone and manage to read, reply to, delete, and/or file 30-75 emails a day. And I'm about as far from a teenager as you can get and not be required to draw SS.

4. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Nope. Nothing.

5. nt5672 macrumors 68000

I also use Apple mail. Does not mean I like it or think it was an improvement. Why? Because every time I started using another better mail client, they went belly up, dropped Apple support, etc. After a few times of trying to recover or convert my email history, I just gave up. Apple did that by making Apple mail free. If it was not, then someone would make a better app that is sustainable.

6. pika2000 macrumors 601

What do you expect an ex-googler would do? Get those analytics going.

7. abrantes09 macrumors newbie

abrantes09

Here is the thing, your right, but I know people who use Apple Mail for work. Although it is simple, I don't feel it is centered around teenagers. It displays emails, it gives us hyperlinks, and it does it all in a minimal, yet somewhat confusing, UI. I agree with you claim, but I do not see the teen-focused aspect of Apple. If they did, then we would have a cringey Apple social media.

8. ___joshuaturner macrumors newbie

___joshuaturner

If I'm paying $50 annually for a mail app, the absolute least I would expect is to not also have my information sold.

9. reden macrumors 6502a

Thank god! Was waiting for this amazing deal to read my email.

10. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

The word App Store in the article links to a generic thing on what the App Store is — really?!

11. randomplaydo macrumors member

If I hadn't found a replacement in Superhuman I'd be switching back right now. But after two months of searching I came across Superhuman back in September and was all in. Even in beta stage its user interface is just as good as Newton, but adds a lot more features and shortcuts.

And yes, some of us happily pay for email service. For one, it's a business write off so it saves me money when I get to the end of the year. And two, because I can fly through my emails, search faster, find attachments quicker, etc. I'm able to save time which means increased revenue. With that said, if I wasn't using email for business I probably wouldn't be paying for an app and I can understand why people are mind blown if that's not their use case.

12. Glavin macrumors member

Glavin

I'm going to race right out and buy this for my Essential phone. /s

13. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Paying money to send an email? I've never done this since forever. Not in 1995. And surely not in 2019. Not to mention paying the money AND personal info being sold for ads targeting to FACEBOOK. Lol.

14. HacKage macrumors 6502

15. vmistery macrumors 6502a

I actually don’t mind paying something for an email app. I donate $2 a month to thunderbird to keep it going as I can’t bear the thought of Outlook being my only option on my PC and I’d be happy using an alternative on mobile too. That said if I’m paying I expect privacy and security as a total given not an opt in. Also that price is way over inflated still. The $2 / month mark is about my limit. One thing I would say is just because something is free as in money doesnt mean it is free, it can mean you are the product. Wouldn’t use this might use something else...

16. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

So they are charging you a hefty YEARLY fee and STILL sell your data and spam you with Facebook ads??? Kay...

17. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Looks very interesting!

18. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Fastmail is a full-fledged email service, not just a client. :)

19. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

I use FastMail for my domain email and they are great. Their app is pants though, so have to look elsewhere...

20. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

I did the same. Came from Office 365 in fact, since I realised I could use multiple domains from 1 single account, with complete inward and outward capabilities. Fastmail is great. The app is, yes, pretty spartan and just a reflection of the web interface. They are focussing heavily on the mobile aspect only now, I guess.

21. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

I did the same, moved from Office 365 as I couldn't cope with Microsoft adding random folders to my IMAP structure! lol Plus they have great push on iOS devices, so was a no-brainer.

22. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

So you pay $50 a year and they still serve you ads? Am I reading that right? If so, wow, who thought that would work?

23. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

What dimwit of a product manager do you have to be to charge an annual software subscription and serve ads on top of that?

There aren't (yet) a lot of people willing to pay a software subscription fee. And of the few there are, many of them do so in order not to get ads and/or a terrible privacy policy.

Congratulations, Essential Inc., you've once again destroyed your potential market segment.

24. sergekills macrumors member

sergekills

Hm. Can you refer me?
    Where can I read their privacy policy?

25. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

I swore subscription models would never work but man, they never go away.
    I don't see how this is feasible unless your company is paying for it and there would be no reason to do that with the robust free options.
    If you are spending $50 a year to look at your private emails and spam, PT Barnum is pumping his fist in his grave today.