Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider claims that the next version of Apple's iMac will showcase "striking new industrial designs aimed at leaving both competitors and onlookers smitten."

The new designs are said to be sleeker and slimmer than the current iMac designs, however, the new looks may only be deployed on the 20" and 24" models, leaving the 17" model's future uncertain.

The rumor site has no solid timeframe for the release of the new iMacs, but our Buyer's Guide suggests the iMac is overdue for an update, with the last update being delivered in September 2006.

This would represent the 4th major iMac design revision since its introduction. (Original, iMac G4, Current)

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Works for me, I'm planning on getting a MBP this summer anyways. I don't mind them concentrating on the larger screen versions. The 20, 24" make the 17" look downright diminutive and kind of crappy (relatively) when they sit next to each other in the Apple stores.

MacSamurai

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
ooh sounds nice,but will there be new mac pros :( *sniff* at this rate im never gonna get one

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
I think it would be a mistake to drop the 17", unless they drop the price on the 20". But maybe the 20" and 24" are selling better than I imagine?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I think it would be a mistake to drop the 17", unless they drop the price on the 20". But maybe the 20" and 24" are selling better than I imagine?

They're not dropping the 17", they are just (if the rumor is true) not going to use the new case design on the 17".

bigraz

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2003
Maybe this will be their tablet

How about a touch screen imac, that can detach and be used to sit on the couch to browse the internet, etc. You can take it to the desk when you need to do more serious work.

I would be smitten with that!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
They're not dropping the 17", they are just (if the rumor is true) not going to use the new case design on the 17".

i can see apple dropping the 17" like they did the 15" long ago. 20" and 24" imac prices might drop enough to warrant the discontinuation of the 17" model. hopefully, the new designs will really make people wonder, "where did the computer go?"

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
How about a touch screen imac, that can detach and be used to sit on the couch to browse the internet, etc. You can take it to the desk when you need to do more serious work.
I think it's a great idea and perhaps Jeff Han and Apple have some kind of deal going on for an actual computer that is all touch screen. Maybe it has the option of being a picture frame with USB ports on the bottom for the keyboard mouse and other peripherals (or the all wireless peripherals is an idea too).

I am excited to see what Jonathan Ive and the rest of Apple's hardware team has come up with.

Perhaps new and enhanced touch screen technologies are part of the Top Secret Leopard features.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Tomorrow is Tuesday?

Nothing will happen until Santa Rosa, which is May 9th, I believe. Even then, Apple will probably wait for a few months until they adopt the new technology.

I would be smitten with that!

Great idea, but I can't see it happening until at least next year or so. I would buy that in a second.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A

Well, the article states that they would neglect it, and possibly drop it entirely.

I suppose it's inevitable, though. Perhaps they'll add something larger? :eek: :D

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Great idea, but I can't see it happening until at least next year or so. I would buy that in a second.
That's what I was thinking but then I realized that Apple must be up to something since Tiger offered a lot more than Leopard (trust me the OS X design team is up to something) so I wouldn't be surprised if the touch screen system is coming very, very soon.

Reaction 1: :eek:
Reaction 2: :D
Reaction 3: :)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Great timing! In the next two months, I will be in the market for a new iMac (the old G4 iMac will find a new home in my daughter's room :) ) In all honesty, I'm not that crazy about the current design. I really think the "chin" is aesthetically awkward. I could live with it, but any redesign that gets rid of it is okay in my book. Also, I'm thinking of the 20" model, but it seems a tad pricey for what it is. Apple definitely needs to bump the prices down or shift all the models down into the next lower price point to keep up with the always-falling costs of things.

Also, I'm hoping that the rumors of a black iMac are true. I'd love to have a black iMac, especially if it uses the glossy black finish that Apple uses (not the fugly, fugly matte black that most other computer makers use.)

kskill

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
new york, ny
ahhh

i'm delighted with my 20" intel imac.. i still find myself looking at it and being completely impressed with it's design [and functions!].
...with that said, to say I'm super excited to see what Apple can do to sleek it up even more would be an understatement. touch screen would be rad.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Also, I'm hoping that the rumors of a black iMac are true. I'd love to have a black iMac, especially if it uses the glossy black finish that Apple uses (not the fugly, fugly matte black that most other computer makers use.)

You mean like the matte black used on the Black MacBook? ;)

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Eagerly awaiting iMac '07

The iMac is Steve's "baby". Expect it to be "insanely great" (literally) in visual appeal, features, hardware and software.

C2Q
Santa Rosa
10.5 (.0)
Media Center features
iPhone integration features :)
Distributed computing. :eek:

Rocketman

Unfortunately Santa Rosa is Intel's new mobile platform, not a Core 2 Quad platform (unless Intel start making quad core notebook processors, which I suppose is ultimately inevitable but probably not this year). I'd PREFER to see a real desktop platform put into the iMac with FSB1066 or the new FSB1333, DDR2-800 (or higher), etc. Santa Rosa is, essentially, just bringing last year's desktop platform into the mobile space while desktop platforms are starting to move ahead.

Mind you, I am personally holding out for the new iMacs for my next purchase and will buy one regardless of mobile or desktop platform components. Either way it'll be better than my single core 2GHz PC or my dual 2GHz G5 tower.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I think it would be nice to offer new iMacs with batteries. New idea? They could be portable enough, and the do run on mobile platforms. :]

MrMacbookMan

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2007
I am very content with my macbook for now, however within the next 6 months or so I may be in the market for a desktop, aka an imac or mac pro, and would love to see a something radically new and awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.