Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At least one next-generation Apple Watch model will start using resin-coated copper, according to supply chain sources cited by Taiwanese website DigiTimes.

s9-chip-apple-watch.jpg

As the name implies, resin-coated copper is a thin layer of copper foil coated with a resin, such as an epoxy. While adoption of this material would offer many benefits for a future Apple Watch's logic board, such as improved durability and water resistance, a key advantage is that it would allow for a thinner logic board, which in turn would provide additional internal space for other components and sensors in the Apple Watch.

Any extra space that can be freed up in the Apple Watch is extremely valuable, as Apple continues to add health features to the device. The next Apple Watch models due later this year are rumored to feature blood pressure sensing, for example, and Apple is reportedly working on non-invasive blood glucose monitoring as a long-term project.

There is still uncertainty surrounding the next Apple Watch lineup, as it is unclear if the redesigned "Apple Watch X" will be launching this year or next year. In addition, it was rumored that there might not be an Apple Watch Ultra 3 this year. A new Apple Watch SE is likely this year if Apple sticks to a two-year refresh cycle for that model.

Apple supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo last year said iPhone 17 Pro models also might adopt resin-coated copper for the logic board next year, so this is a change that might extend to multiple devices in Apple's lineup over the next few years.

Article Link: Next Apple Watch Said to Use Material Allowing for Thinner Logic Board

Reactions: SFjohn

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Digitimes...so its kind of sad..because if it was true then maybe more battery in the saved place would be very welcomed

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
> if Apple sticks to a two-year refresh cycle for that model.

There was three years between the first SE and the second.

However: the SE thus far has been "the mid version of the previous design cycle" (ex. we're on the 7-9 design, the SE is a Series 5), and it would be extremely weird to see the now five-year-old Series 5 hang around while the 10 debuts, so I would bet on a relabeled Series 8 coming out this fall regardless; but it would settle into a three-year cycle to match the three-year watch design cycle.

(I love Apple Kremlinology.)

FontGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Make an Apple Watch Air with reduced functionality but half the thickness of the current watch and I will update from my AW4. There is no reason to upgrade atm.
I'm amazed that the watches have remained as thick as they are across all the brands

Reactions: dustin_

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

At least one next-generation Apple Watch model will start using resin-coated copper, according to supply chain sources cited by Taiwanese website DigiTimes.

s9-chip-apple-watch.jpg

As the name implies, resin-coated copper is a thin layer of copper foil coated with a resin, such as an epoxy. While adoption of this material would offer many benefits for a future Apple Watch's logic board, such as improved durability and water resistance, a key advantage is that it would allow for a thinner logic board, which in turn would provide additional internal space for other components and sensors in the Apple Watch.

Any extra space that can be freed up in the Apple Watch is extremely valuable, as Apple continues to add health features to the device. The next Apple Watch models due later this year are rumored to feature blood pressure sensing, for example, and Apple is reportedly working on non-invasive blood glucose monitoring as a long-term project.

There is still uncertainty surrounding the next Apple Watch lineup, as it is unclear if the redesigned "Apple Watch X" will be launching this year or next year. In addition, it was rumored that there might not be an Apple Watch Ultra 3 this year. A new Apple Watch SE is likely this year if Apple sticks to a two-year refresh cycle for that model.

Apple supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo last year said iPhone 17 Pro models also might adopt resin-coated copper for the logic board next year, so this is a change that might extend to multiple devices in Apple's lineup over the next few years.

Article Link: Next Apple Watch Said to Use Material Allowing for Thinner Logic Board
Always looking for a story even when there is nothing to say heh? iPhone 17????? Come on the 16 has yet to be released. Let’s start talking about the iPhone 20 next!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: UltimaKilo

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Make an Apple Watch Air with reduced functionality but half the thickness of the current watch and I will update from my AW4. There is no reason to upgrade atm.
Fast charging was why I upgraded from the 4 to the 7. I sleep with my watch on, more for the alarm to not wake my wife, but the sleep data is neat too. Being able to charge for 15 minutes to get enough to get through a workout and a workday after sleeping is really nice. If you charge all night, it’s not an issue.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I wish there was a more scratch-proof stainless steel body. The screen is great since it’s sapphire glass, but the stainless steel body does not hold up well after years of use.

Reactions: transpo1

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
Series 6 battery is at 80% health so I will probably update to a Series 10 or X or whatever they call it. I wish they had flat panels like the Ultra on the regular series.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
As long as it looks the same - again - I have no interest. Apple should at least follow their iPhone turnaround from round to edgy. For the iPhone it is boring since it lives in a case. But a more edgy and thinner Watch would be welcome. But my AW6 still does its job and I'm delighted when I can keep my money.

2WGFw9UmRhC4zcaxxEjvkg.png

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
I’ll eat my hat if there are actually any new sensors in this year’s Watch. We’ve had perpetual rumours of these mythical new sensors for years now with nothing to show for it. The best we’ve had is a sensor that can tell women if they’ve ovulated, I’m pretty sure they know when they’ll be on their period though...

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
How the heck are you all running through a whole Apple Watch battery in one day? I wear the smallest model for basically every waking and sleeping hour of the day, except for charging during my morning and bedtime ablutions, and the only way I can get the Watch to threaten to quit on me is if I go for a three-hour phoneless run or otherwise get its cellular/GPS radios to stay constantly on. And I hate running, so I’d much rather have a thinner watch than more battery!

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I wish there was a more scratch-proof stainless steel body. The screen is great since it’s sapphire glass, but the stainless steel body does not hold up well after years of use.
This is true. I’ve had several stainless steel models now— it’s a product of the steel being polished and not brushed. Apple should have made a brushed stainless steel model. Sadly, with the advent of the titanium Ultra, I doubt this will ever happen. What’s more likely is that they will eventually discontinue the SS models in favor of that material.

Reactions: Andres Cantu

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
How the heck are you all running through a whole Apple Watch battery in one day? I wear the smallest model for basically every waking and sleeping hour of the day, except for charging during my morning and bedtime ablutions, and the only way I can get the Watch to threaten to quit on me is if I go for a three-hour phoneless run or otherwise get its cellular/GPS radios to stay constantly on. And I hate running, so I’d much rather have a thinner watch than more battery!
I’m on the Series 9 and if you do a couple workouts and use the watch for cooking timers with moderate use, you’re looking at low battery by a late bedtime.

Reactions: Agile55

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Nah. This is Apple were talking about. There is only one reason for thinner components.😏
Apple's mantra: You can never be too rich or too thin.
I wish that were still the case but Apple design has moved away from thinness as the holy grail of electronics. Case in point: the newest MacBook Airs and Pros and every iPhone since the 12 Series. I’m not complaining, I just think Apple should retain at least some products with the thinness of say, the iPhone 6.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
One could only hope that the extra space afforded by a thinner logic board would be assigned to a higher capacity battery. The watch has enough features for now (when the pulse oxygen suit is settled).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.