Next BIG thing - prediction

Discussion in 'iPad' started by callme, Aug 22, 2011.

1. callme macrumors regular

My prediction for the next big thing from Apple is as follows:

Imagine if you will a larger iPad, lets say double the current screen size, say a 20 inch panel that uses the double resolution we are expecting on the iPad 3. It would be slim like the iPad, with the A6 processor or better. Stereo speakers would be possible due to the space now available (no battery required). HD FaceTime camera of course. Imagine how thin and light they can make this with no battery!!!!

This is not a hand held device, instead it is on a stand on which the panel can go from vertical to virtually flat. Meaning when vertical it is great for watching / consuming content / FaceTime, but if needed to be used for input on a virtual keyboard it can be tilted to the sloped position. In this flatter orientation users would interact with the keyboard and Apps just as they do with the current iPad, no reaching as with vertical touch computers, but a nice flat panel right in front of you where a computer keyboard would be. Connectivity would be provided in the base of the unit, power, USB, SD slot.

This device would run iOS just like the iPad, have access to all the same Apps and of course the bluetooth devices (keyboard).

This would be the Post-PC Desktop for tomorrow. Great for all the home users who don't need a full PC but do need a bigger device than an iPad. No Optical Drive required (just like Macs are now going), digital content delivery, iCloud, etc. Perfect for email, surfing, Apps, etc, etc, etc. All the things we love about the iPad, but bigger.

Price - Well that is the good news. Apple can knock these out at a much lower price than a classic Mac computer. Let's say $200 more than an iPad for each size of device. We will call it the iPad Home for want of a better name.

iPad Home 16GB - $699
    iPad Home 32GB - $799
    iPad Home 64GB - $899
    iPad Home 128GB - $999

I think it would sell to all those people who don't want a 'full' computer with all the problems that go with them. They would be able to buy this and get online, buying Apps and content out of the box (no computer needed with iOS 5 remember). All closely managed by Apple, no viruses or malware. Easy software updates to the OS and Apps.

Imagine the opportunities for sales here!

It may reduce Mac sales, but as long as the margins are the same or better then why not. People bought into the principle for the iPad, I think they will for these as well.

Let's see what happens in the next year or so!!!

I know many will pan the idea, as they did with the iPad, but this could be a market changer. Not everyone wants or needs a full PC but they do want something more than an iPad in terms of size at home. This could be the home appliance that changes computer use in the home. With the App base already out there and the digital delivery system / iCloud all ready for it, this could be huge.

2. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Pretty good idea I guess but I dont think it's gonna happen. It basically would be a touchscreen computer running iOS. I think it is more likely that there would be something like what you said except it would be running the normal Mac os. If it's not meant to be portable I don't think they would put iOS in it buut who knows.

3. callme thread starter macrumors regular

I guess the point is that iOS makes them cheaper and makes them simpler.

Mac OS is already drifting more towards iOS.
    This is just a step the other way taking a total touch device to the desktop.

I can think of many place where these could be used. After all we already have loads of Apps perfectly suited to it - Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie. iOS 5 allows you to edit photos. With a Bluetooth keyboard this would be everything many people need. Think of the Apps that would get developed with all that screen space.

Schools would be keen due to price, simplicity.
    I can't see a downside to be honest.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

5. callme thread starter macrumors regular

That is not what I described.

6. BravadoWaffle macrumors newbie

BravadoWaffle

A huge touch screen Mac would rock. So would a new Apple TV revision that offered access to the app store. They have an opportunity to make the world's next huge gaming console, and they've done nothing with it yet! They have to be at least considering it right now...

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

In fact I think what you described is more of an evolution of the "Apple TV" that people have been predicting. I think Apple would do much more than simply stick an AppleTV inside a flat-screen and call it a day. AppleTV runs on iOS, so with a little evolution and the addition of a touch screen, you could get more or less what you described.

8. Carouser macrumors 65816

Is your suggestion anything different than a larger iPad + stand?

9. callme thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, that is what it is, but no battery required.

----------

It's actually closer to the current iPad than to the Apple TV.
    It is simply a bigger screen on a stand.
    Much cheaper than a Mac though.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

How would you like it described if you don't like AppleTV TV?

Large Stationary iPad?
    iMac running iOS?

Apple is evolving everything in their lineup so nothing you say is really that mind blowing so it makes sense that they're simply converging products that exist into something new they could sell.

11. callme thread starter macrumors regular

Large Stationary iPad that can be used instead of a computer.
    More functionality than just a TV with Apple TV inside it.
    Apple TV currently does not run Apps or have a touch interface, etc.

My suggestion is simply the expansion of the iPad to the desktop arena.

12. nutmac macrumors 68040

I frankly don't see this to be significantly better idea than rumored Apple TV TV (which I will call iHDTV here).

The truth of the matter is, 20-inch is too small for group consumption. For group viewing, 40-inch is now considered entry level for TV.

And interaction wise, I envision when and if Apple introduce iHDTV, it will support 3 types of user inputs: (1) Kinect-like gesture-based UI, (2) traditional remote, and (3) iPad/iPhone/iPod touch for touch-based input (AirPlay). A large screen just isn't very good for touch interaction. Imagine a group of folks with portable iOS devices doing full swipe to send and share contents to large iHDTV instead.

And if industry pundits are correct, it will also be one of the first TVs to adopt CNT-FED display panel and backlighting and surround bar style speakers array.

13. Carouser macrumors 65816

There is no conceivable niche for this product to make it worth the upgrade (!) in price. You can already buy iPad + BT keyboard + stand. Done, and you still can take it with you.

14. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I predict the future will be :

forums on macrumors that are specifically set into sections based on hardware (Iphone, ipod, ipad etc ) for apple products to be discussed ...... but instead of apple products all we will see is other items not related to the forum description being discussed.

example :Forum : Ipad // Threads discussed .... HP Touchpad

15. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

No battery? So in other words, a slightly smaller touch screen iMac, with a base that swivels it from vertical to horizontal?

Meh.

----------

Eh, don't worry. Touchfad mania won't last.

16. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

why not just make it an actual computer? without the actual ipad part to it, that would be a nice imac design.

17. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

so this is like an iMac without a optical drive...

nah I'd like to keep those devices separate

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Maybe apple will come out with a well designed not crappy smart board, and call it iBoard. Just taking a shot in the dark, i think its good for thinking for about 5 sec.

19. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Ya I see what you mean.

20. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

That will be iMac with touchscreen - this may happen eventually.

21. urkel macrumors 68030

Its no doubt it will happen because we've already seen years of evolution leading to this. It seems the OP just wants to take ownership of the idea which is why he's knocking down anyone who calls it an interactive AppleTV, a Touch iMac or a giant iPad.

As for the practicality of this product? Im not sure many schools would invest $700 per unit for a machine that is limited to iOS Apps. Im not saying real work can't be done on iOS, but educating students should be more diverse than learning on minimalistic versions of real programs so what the interim future iMac would probably be is a hybrid OSX/iOS device. Also known as... an iMac with Touchscreen.

22. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Apple has already submitted a patent for this about a year ago. It's related to the iMac, and Lion already has an iOS-esque screen built in.

23. aluren macrumors 65816

The iMac plus trackpad of today kind of fits into this "next big thing". I mean Apple is right about the ergonomics of standing touch displays and how your arms will tire after awhile. I'd say just slim down the iMac, run OSX, and enhance touch gestures for the trackpad (I remember reading something on user preset gestures like drawing a star to open whatever program you want). Or better yet, make the entire bluetooth keyboard one flat trackpad and an embedded keyboard with haptic feeback.

24. weespeed macrumors 6502

25. jouster, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

jouster macrumors 65816

Not if it runs IOS. The HP is close to what the OP is suggesting, I think. But I believe Apple could make it work, especially if they adapt IOS to accept stylus input. I'm imagining doing illustration or sketching on a 20" retina display.