Next Byte...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macsavvytech, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Last Tuesday, (one week and a half ago) I took my 7 month MacBook pro into next byte to get the Hard drive checked out (stock apple 128GB SSD) and they ran their next byte diagnostics on the machine. The machine came up clean but the local reps weren't apple authorized, anyway cut a long story short I got it back on this Tuesday even after being told it would be available last thursday. Before I left to get the computer I rang next byte asking If the computer was ready, they stated "it" was but the paper work wasn't right (basically it said I owed apple $860 for a machine repaired under apple care. I was told to come anyway and they would fix the paperwork later, when I arrived to pickup the machine I noticed the machine had a enormous dent in it around the Ethernet port. In the repair notes apple noted they had received the machine damaged, now I knew it didn't have any dents in it before it was sent away so I mentioned it to the rep. He stated he hadn't noticed when we brought it in anyway so he said he would talk to his customer support people and
    Get back to me around Thursday or Friday. I have been testing my damaged machine and although the hard drive is now physically fine, all the ports on the side of the machine are malfunctioning. I believe the motherboard has been broken swell in it's fall, you can see it from the outside through a gap made by the dent. Now my question is what do you think I should ask of next byte now? I haven't had the machine for over one and Half weeks and I feel that if it is sent away it won't come back for another two weeks at minimum. Basically the now damaged parts are the bottom middle and top case the motherboard and maybe more.

2. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would you take it to a non Apple authorized service provider? Just send it in yourself...

3. mrwonkers, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

NextByte providing the same "quality" service as always...

Forget dealing with NextByte, call Apple directly and ask to speak to customer relations.

4. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

It's not as easy as that where I live ... The nearest apple people are 700km away. You may be thinking you can still send it, but the thing is I have been very busy and have no idea where to send it, who pays for it being sent and what service to use. What the point in ringing apple be? Next byte damaged the computer so don't I have to get it sorted through them? What should I ask for them to do, I want to ask for another computer simply because I will have been without it for a month if I let them send it away again and that isn't including the amount of time I had had to spend trying to get my mouse to work becAuse my USB slot is trashed. Anyway I just wondered whatdo you think I can expect and should I still ring apple or ring nextbyte?

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

nestbyte should fix your computer free of charge. make it as good as before you bought it in plus the problem you bought it in for fixed. anything less and i would sue. Next time your MBP has issues, send it to apple. call them up and ask them where to send it in and stuff. it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with non-authorized dealers.

6. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

The thing that bothers me most is I have been without my computerfor almost two weeks and it would be another two weeks or so before I get it back again and I find it unacceptable that I have to be without my computer because they dropped it. I mean seriously the whole chasis in that corner is bent the would have had to had dropped it from atleast 2 meters on to concrete.

7. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

8. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

This is the physical damage that you can see

Attached Files:

9. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Thats unacceptable.....!!!

Id be jumping all over the store if i were you.

What i will do it approach gently poilet way, and tell them, Look Tbvh with you guys and i didnt want to take it further as it will take both parties time and we dont want that right?

Im 110% sure the dent wasnt there, they darn sure the dent wasnt there otherwise they can just tell you it was there before and tell you offf..

Unfortunately your laptop will have to get another repair and most likely itll take bit more time.

What you can do is ring applecare and make an compliant if all fails. Then they will investigate and look into the case.

Apple might be able to send you a box for you to send the laptop in by Mail.

Franchisee like Next Byte will not be able to operate will few of these complaints.

Good luck to you. I myself had a bad experience with Next byte on a repair for my PB G4.

They fix problem A but problem B occurred. I eventually got over it, but speaking of that, my problem isnt like your a Big dent.

10. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Thing is they have already stated they will fix it but apparently try need go sort out how it happened first, I have already been waiting 2days for them to even look at the machine.

11. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Holy cow, that picture you posted is...:eek:

12. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

What do you guys think of me just asking for a replacement I presume it would be around the same price for them to replace it or to repair it considering the damage

13. HBOC macrumors 68020

Your machine should be their first priority, as they seem unprofessional at the very least! I would go in there and see what is going on.

I believe that Apple pays for the shipping to and from their repair depots, especially if it is under warranty.

14. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

What do you think of me demanding a new computer. my computer will cost around ~$2000 to repair I believe and I will have been without it for a month. I feel very angry towered next byte and I really can't afford to be without my machine for any longer so I feel like marching in there and askin for them to get me a new one quick; they may even have a model I would be happy with. I don't mean to do this and make it look like I am trying to get a new computer out of them for a small thing but this really isn't. They have wasted much of my time, damaged my machine and then required me to wait before they even do anything!

15. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Yet another "they ruined my mac" story that's too incredulous to believe.

Color me skeptical but who the hell takes in a perfectly good chassis and walks away with a mangled one... without uttering nothing more than an inquiry? Sorry but I ain't buying this.

Besides, Apple wouldn't fix that SSD of yours under warranty with a dent in it.

16. themac23 macrumors regular

It doesn't hurt to ask. They need to remedy it.

Just an FYI - If you call Apple to get your pc repaired, they will send you a box to send the computer in and most time overnight the computer there and then back to you. You don't pay a penny for anything.

17. HBOC macrumors 68020

Dude, that is NOT A SMALL dent. I dropped my "Classic MBP" from like three feet, and it didn't dent like this. The unibodies seem way more robust than the earlier ones.

Nothing you can do about it now, but for reference, use only Apple. They won't hose you with damage. If anything, take pictures of it when taking it in. It would be cheaper for them to just replace it than to fix it. It need a new LB and lowecase from the looks of it.

18. Macsavvytech, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011

Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

The dent wasn't there when I took it in, in apples repair notes the note damage but it isn't affecting the hard drive so the go ahead anywAy. This is my computer it's sitting on my desk now! I don't really care if you believe or not! But this is what happened to me so go away and **** up if you want to argue

The bottom case the main case an the top case are all bent the bezel around the screen is bent also and the logic board is play up. As has been suggested I think it is reasonable to ask for a new one, which is what I will do

Oh and as to why did I even walk out of the store with it like this. I had just got my machine back I was tired and I really was just fed up in the mood so I trusted what they said. I am now regretting this somewhat however it has told me the extent of the damage and I am definitely going to go there today or tomorrow and get this sorted out

I finally understood your question. Read and you would have noticed the answer, the machine was sent 700km from where i live to be repaired and was out of my possession for a week and a half.

19. 3lackwater macrumors newbie

You should have called Apple in the first time and they would have arranged transport.

There must be a reason why those guys aren't certified technicians.

20. f2tai macrumors newbie

Yikes, sorry to hear about your problems. Its obvious that the dent occurred after you gave Next Byte the laptop, as Next Byte would have taken notes at point of receipt in order to identify that customer had dented the machine - so you are not at fault.

As someone previously mentioned, be as matter-of-factly as you can about the situation and dont get upset with people on the phone/in person - it won't help. The unfortunate part is the the timeliness of this all - i'd be on the phone with the next byte people as much as i can to understand what is taking so long.

Good luck.

21. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Talked to the assistant manager, she was abit vague, but said she was going to sort it out if I don't get a proper response by Sunday I will make sure I get a proper response.

22. Macsavvytech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hoping the will just replace it I am really fed up!

23. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

First mistake; not calling Apple first. They would have arranged for someone to pick up your computer, or told you where to mail it to and whom to use.
    Second, why take to a shop that's not authorized by Apple?

24. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

You said you "took it in" to NextByte. Is that place 700km away? Your beef is with them so why are you haggling with people over the phone? Go there now and do not leave until you are taken care of. If they have to order something for you get it in writing.

Still skeptical.