Next Gen iMac - new form factor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by icemantx, Aug 6, 2011.

1. icemantx macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have an early 2009 iMac with a 2.93ghz C2D and was thinking about when I will upgrade to a new iMac. I don't have any driving need right now so likely not in 2011.

That said, besides Ivy Bridge, do you think the next iMac will carry over the current form factor or will it be time for a new look? Has the iMac become a "truck" and will be status quo in design as the MacPro has been the same design for years?

Thoughts?

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Could be get more "touch'n gesture" on the screen. The angle to watch will be more flexible. You might even can lay it flat on the table. A big tablet. Ok; that maybe not. But maybe like some of those high end Wacom digitizer ?

Overall the alu style is ok for me

3. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

As far as I know, Apple changes their iMac's form factor every two years and the last time the form factor changed was two years ago. By going on that assumption I would say there is a fair chance that the next refresh is going to include a form factor change.

I would assume that they would change the screen sizes and create a more 'to the edge' experience. Possibly 23 inches for the base model and 30 inches for the high end model?

You never know what Apple could do...

4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

This possible form factor change is the one of the reasons I'm looking to buy a Mac Pro.

I'm not thrilled about buying a top of the line iMac only to find that it is completely overhauled and outdated within 8-10 months.

5. sth macrumors 6502a

1st generation: ~3,5 years
    2nd generation: ~3 years
    3rd generation: ~3 years
    4th generation: ~2 years
    5th generation: Approaching 2 years

I think we might see some tweaks in the next revision but nothing major. I'm sure it will still follow the same basic form factor they've introduced back in 2004.

I also think that there's at least a 50% chance that they'll just continue the current design for a few more revisions. After all, not much is happening in the desktop space anyway and Apple has also expressed several times, that simply adding a touch interface to OSX is not what they're after.

There have been major changes under the hood but the exterior design of the current Mac Pro dates back to June 2003 and there have been a lot of speculations about a complete redesign for the next generation recently.

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah I completely understand your pain for feeling outdated after 8 - 10 months purchase. But I think it's good Apple keep updating their product lines. It means Apple still care about that particular Mac.

Take example of Macbook White. For 2 years Apple didn't care nor updating the spec .. and kaboom ... it's outta Apple's world, at least the future world. It's still good they keep updating the product.

And if you get yourself the top of the line Mac of the time, that would be a bonus since you can skip 2 or 3 update cycles without feeling "outdated" or "abandoned". As example .. iMac 2010 with i7 2.93GHz still stand proud if you compare it to standard top of the line 2011 iMac. (3.1GHz i5 w/ 6970M), albeit 2010 model has a slightly weaker GPU compared to 2011 .. but not that much weaker also.

And also, they do keep the update as baby step. Hardly do something with big leap or major compared to previous gen (except when they move from PPC to Intel) :D

7. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

It would be outdated within 8-10 months regardless of form factor. CPUs, graphics, storage media, chipset, etc all change

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

don't worry about form factor the real test for all macs is t-bolt. Will it come out with useful products or what.

does this come out with t-bolt interface?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEQMH0GBK/

what will this cost

Remarkable Performance, Diminutive Package
    The Fusion™ F2TBR 2-drive portable SSD storage system with Thunderbolt™ technology harnesses the power of ultra-fast 2.5" solid state drives to deliver unparalleled read and write performance. With its SSDs configured as a RAID 0 set, the Fusion F2TBR achieves data transfers up to 640 MB/s read and 430 MB/s write—this small wonder’s amazing performance make it ideal for high def video capture and editing. Two Thunderbolt ports support daisy chaining of up to six devices to a single port on the host computer. With its drives mounted side-by-side in a tough aluminum shell slightly larger than two stacked CD cases, this is the perfect high-performance storage solution for any editor packing light for on-location work.

Ultra-Fast—Data transfers up to 640 MB/s read, 430 MB/s write from two SSDs.
    Two Thunderbolt Ports—Daisy chain up to six devices to a single port on the host computer.
    Compact—Fusion F2TBR is about the size of two CD cases; it takes up so little space, you can carry it just about anywhere.

this is just one of many pieces of gear. that would be amazing as t-bolt

Attached Files:

9. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I'm aware of that, which is why I'm waiting.

The new Mac Pro should be here before the new iMac.