next gen ipod touch. whats in store??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gram, Jun 22, 2008.

1. gram macrumors newbie

well now that apple is gettign rid of there old stock of ipod touches with the university promo and the low prices of iphones, what can we expect for the new ones>?

GPS? camera? mic built in for voip? 64 gb capacity? lower prices i think forsure because the cost of iphones.

id love to see a bit bigger HD and GPS. that would be ultimate.

what do you think??

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

GPS: maybe, but I'm thinking no (though if it did have that, I'd be first in line)

Camera: again, doubt it.

Mic for VOIP: not a chance in hell. Would kind of dig into the iphone market wouldn't it.

64 gb: would love if it did.

lower prices: i think it has to at some point.

Honestly, I don't expect any radical changes with the next version. Its not going to outclass the iphone at anything. and that leaves prescious little room for major improvement. Larger capacity seems the most logical.

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Given that the iPod Touch is an iPod I'd say the only big upgrades will be memory related. I doubt it'll ever see a camera, GPS, bluetooth for a long time.

Potentially, in order to keep up with and ahead of the market they might put a FM or DAB radio in there. I don't think there will be any drastic changes for a good long time. IMO it's one of the most perfect and achieved products Apple has put out (I don't have one either).

5. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Better screen, longer battery life, thinner/lighter and more memory are usually what's expected with new iPods. I don't think the price is going to lower, they'll probably bump up the memory and keep the current price. Keep in mind that the cost of the iPhone is lower because it requires a two year contracts that causes hundreds of dollars, and Apple is supposedly getting $325 per iPhone from AT&T. So the price of the iPhone to Apple is still higher than the touch.

I wouldn't expect any features from the iPhone being incorporated into the iPod Touch. In the end, it's an iPod and Apple wants to keep their mobile phone line and MP3 player line separate.

6. only macrumors regular

7. whiteness macrumors member

no camera,no 64gb,no gps,no voip for ipod touch.....

8. tonie macrumors 6502

how fast is the wifi on the touch? is it as fast as a laptop wifi?

9. whiteness macrumors member

10. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
    Maybe a bump up to 11n?
    Morod

11. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

yes, but radios are not in apples MO, so it may not happen, but dig radio would be cool.

12. whiteness macrumors member

yup u right PMB
    mostly people hate radio...
    hhahhaha

13. Grasbak macrumors 6502

nothing new, hardware wise, apart from memory bumps i reckon....

the new stuff is going to be software - who knows what apps are on the way!

14. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

i think this guy hit the nail on the head, no more features, but possibly improving the existing ones
    it isnt radio, it is the comercials, i HATE commercials

15. illidian macrumors 6502

Have you ever thought that instead of clearing out their inventory, Apple is focusing more about promoting their Mobile version of OS X and their App Store?

There is not a next gen Touch around the corner.

16. Grentz macrumors newbie

I agree, the App Store is the big new thing.

No need for a new touch cause honestly there is not much they could add. It is already way small, and things like Battery Life I dont think they can increase much with the current form factor (battery technology has not changed since the Touch came out...).

Apples big thing right now is the App Store and 2.0, which is gonna be awesome!

17. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Fixed that for you ;).

I agree, commercials are annoying, but I recall there are times when they have 2 hours of commercial free music or something. I haven't listened to radio since 2005 when I got my first iPod. Sometimes I do miss it though :(.

I forgot to add, hopefully they'll change the scratch-prone back of the iPod touch to something else. I miss how scratch resistant my iPod nano was.

I do think they will update the iPod touch though, because in the past few years they always update all the iPods at least once a year, usually at the Paris expo. Battery technology might not have improved much, but there has been more energy efficient components since the iPod touch came out.

18. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I think there's some hope of seeing better battery life, physical volume buttons (crossed fingers), and a different material on the back (hopefully eliminating or revising the weird antenna box on the corner of existing models.

19. dude963841 macrumors member

Bluetooth, Maybe a camera, but don't hold your breath, and no momory upgrade... maybe only on the iphone to 32GB

20. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I wish they'd add a mic and camera with video and allow direct uploading to Youtube right from the ipod. But that's right up there with the chances of a bicycle, flamethrower, and fold-out Microsoft Zune.

21. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Thinner? Jeebus, if they made it much thinner, they'd have to rename it the iPod paper :D

22. OffBrand macrumors member

64 GB would be nice but costly. I'm fine with the Touch's form factor, and internet speed isn't that important to me. I want a big price reduction for the 32 GB player more than anything. An FM tuner would also be nice since I still listen to the radio.

23. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Nothing. Maybe more memory, but other than that:

They want people to buy iPhone.

24. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Yes, excellent idea!
    And they could call it the... iPhone! :eek:

25. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

As much as I'd love GPS on the next one, I don't think it's gonna happen. Probably the usual: price drops, battery life and capacity increase. Done.

That would still be awesome though. :D