Next Gen. Macbook Pro Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macnerd123, Jan 10, 2011.

1. macnerd123, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

macnerd123 macrumors regular

Hi, I was wondering what people think about an optical drive in the next generation of Macbook Pros. Personally, I don't think Apple will put in an optical drive in the next generation of Macbook Pros (at least not in all of them). My reasoning is that the Mac App Store was to foreshadow the insignificance of an optical drive with an online database of software. What are your opinions on this?

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's possible. With steam and the Mac app store along with USB keys for the air, the pieces are in place. I don't think it's quite time yet though.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

I hope they drop it, it probobly takes up 20% of the space inside the 13" pro and I literally never use it except to install the OS

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Where would we be today without them?

When a poster starts a ****ing thread with, "I'm sure this has been brought up before ...", I have to ask why the F do they start another?

6. macnerd123 thread starter macrumors regular

I took that part out.;)

7. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I think that they might just take it out. Given the app store and growing popularity of USBs, we don't really need the superdrive. Also, they can charge whatever it is they charge for the usb superdrive to those who need one.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

But they[Apple] needs to create a driver that will allow their USB Superdrive to work on all Macs and just not a select few, ie. MBA and Mac Mini Server.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

the mac app store JUST came out and it's not ubiquitous yet. Lets let it gain some steam beyond Apple's own offerings + angry birds, and maybe have apple release Mac OS 10.7 on a USB flash disk like they have for the MBA, THEN everyone can grab the pitchforks and gasoline.