Next Gen MBP - When's it Coming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by navier-stokes, Mar 19, 2008.

1. navier-stokes macrumors newbie

I'm a PC user looking to get a MBP before the end of the year, hopefully sooner.

What are peoples predictions on the likelihood of the next gen MBP being available before then?

WHen I say next gen, I don't just mean hardware upgrades... when is it going to be completely revamped - it's been on the market since 2006 without any huge upgrade hasn't it?

Cheers!

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i assume you just mean the style because EVERYTHING else has been changed or upgraded on it since its release from forewire 800, led backlit, multitouch to the cpu's, gpu's hard drives and logicboards lol, buy a computer when you need one and when you think the computer does what you want for the price your willing to pay, not on rumors of when news ones are coming, if you want one now they have just been updated.

5. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Technically the design the MBP uses now has been around way before 2006. It was used on the PB before the Intel switch. The design is dated technically, but I think it is still one of the the hottest looking laptop on the market. Well, honestly, I think the black MB is sexier, but thats just me.

I have done a great deal of reading on the subject as I'm also looking to get a MBP very soon. The next revision will likely happen this June for Montevina. Only the motherboard will need to be slightly tweaked. The update in June to Montevina will not likely include a case redesign, rather a slight performance boost. We are talking about maybe 10% performance boost, battery life boost, and 1066 FSB instead of 800 now.

The redesign you are looking for will take place for Nehalem as it will need major changes to the motherboard. Unfortunately, since the arrival of Nehalem will likely result in a case change, it will technically be a Rev A product which you should NEVER buy. If your really looking for a case change and don't want a buggy product, you will be waiting at least a year for Rev B of Nehalem.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I have the original rev A,macbook pro and it's never seen the the inside of a apple store since the day i bought it.So your theory about rev A products doesn't always hold true

7. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

My 1GHz PowerBook I believe was 'rev B' but that went back three times under warranty. The past three years since though have been problem free, which is annoying as I can't justify a new MBP to the wife as mine still works... Apparently better graphics for playing X-Plane isn't a good enough reason either.

8. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Your right not all rev a products have issues, but they do seem to have a higher occurance of issues. Just my observation and opinion.

9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

please visit the MBA thread and see for yourself the tons of complaints, the number of exchanges people are having since the day it was released..

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Im sorry,but not EVERY SINGLE rev A mbp has issues,granted ALOT have but not mine,so this sentence
    & my original post holds true

11. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

make it not "work". then buy a new mbp and let the powerbook "work" again. like a miracle!! :D

13. Apogee macrumors member

I think people are just fussy. For a while reading about the yellow LEDs made me think that my LED screen must be yellow too. But the more I try to keep myself sane and look at it, the more it seems fine!

It is probably the same with the MBA. For a 1.6ghz laptop it is afterall rather expensive.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The next gen mbp aka montevina will come later this year, I'm 100% positive on that.

Apple has to keep up with their updates as to other vendors or else they will lose alot of sales and $$.

Remember Apple is not the same company as it was 3 years ago with the g4/g5, where they can schedule an update whenever they wanted or according to their plan without losing competition and sales.

15. macgroovy macrumors member

hahaha, it's happening again ;)

16. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

17. lazydesi macrumors 6502

I am also waiting to buy MBP may be wait until new design is out

18. JWest macrumors 6502

Or the GeForce 9650M GT with 512MB VRAM <------- It's what I'm hoping for
    I know that would be the intelligent thing to do, but I want one SO BAD!!! The wait is killing me...

19. lazydesi macrumors 6502

if its killing you then go and get refurbished Macbook for $900 and sold it when new MBP are out

20. JWest macrumors 6502

Nah, the MBP is the only thing that serves my needs really. A refurb Macbook would be useless to me.

21. lazydesi macrumors 6502

then go for refurbish MBP

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=443242

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=439800

I know we've had this conversation before.

23. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

24. JWest macrumors 6502