Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
Sorry I don't understand why anyone would buy this. If you buy a modern smartTV it has most of the apps/features anyone could ever ask for.

Not really. Many channels are missing from smart TVs. Most support Netflix, Hulu, and HGO GO, but little else. Some do Amazon. Ones like PBS, FX, USA Network, etc are missing in action. You need ATV, Chrome-cast or something else for those.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
4k is where things are going and Apple doesn't update the AppleTV very often. The Nvidea Shield has a 4k machine that is selling for $199, has an app store, some games, etc. If the AppleTV doesn't have 4k, I am curious to see what justifies that price tag.

I know the set I just got does 4K, but have yet to see any 4K content on it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Whether $149 - $199 is too expensive or not depends. What do I get for the extra $50 - $100 over a Roku? Fire TV? How will Apple TV be different than these other devices and what value can they provide me? More important, how does an Apple TV solve my streaming needs better than other less expensive solutions?

Probably the same way they do it with successfully selling more expensive iPhones against cheaper Android (and Nokia) devices: Polished design, more usable UI for many, highly integrated software and hardware and services, and a full product ecosystem including a huge App store with millions of developers trying to create the next big hit, etc.

BTW, some people will will buy multiples of the above products. I can sometimes get better deals comparison shopping between the Amazon (Fire TV) and iTunes (ATV 2) stores. So I use both, and will add an ATV 4 upgrade when it becomes available.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
How can anyone that has used a Smart TV actually come here and advocate for them? They are pretty much universally awful

Disagree. I have two of them and both work well. They are limited as some earlier posts pointed out, but do what they do well. For me using Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon directly on the TV is faster than from ATV or other sources.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
How can anyone that has used a Smart TV actually come here and advocate for them? They are pretty much universally awful

Disagree. I have two of them and both work well. They are limited as some earlier posts pointed out, but do what they do well. For me using Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon directly on the TV is faster than from ATV or other sources.
It seems to vary by TV maker. The "smart" component of my Vizio TVs are pretty pathetic compared to dedicated devices like the Roku or even connected Blu-Ray players like Sony and Samsung.

Even if the internal streamer of these TVs were adequate, I'd still need something like the Roku to pick up channels not available in the TV's channel store.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
It seems to vary by TV maker. The "smart" component of my Vizio TVs are pretty pathetic compared to dedicated devices like the Roku or even connected Blu-Ray players like Sony and Samsung.

Even if the internal streamer of these TVs were adequate, I'd still need something like the Roku to pick up channels not available in the TV's channel store.

True, other channels need an additional device. Samsung and Panasonic both have good Smart TV units with high quality streaming display. Not sure about other brands.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I plan on picking one up and using the replaced ATV3 as an airplay audio endpoint. ATVs are useful forever.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I agree that sometimes there is buffer. But, what company do you have that does FULL HD? I don't think there are any channels that do FULL HD.

I didn't catch that. I do not think there are any cable com pines that do full HD. Comcast and FiOS are both 1080i. And some of the channels are not in HD at all.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Sorry I don't understand why anyone would buy this. If you buy a modern smartTV it has most of the apps/features anyone could ever ask for.

I put away my locked down ATV ever since I upgraded to a STV. ATV you have to get a streaming server to play anything non-Apple standard.

So who's this product for other than loyalists who can't resist buying another version of an Apple product they don't yet own?

Although I have not used any smart tv products that were made in the past 2 years, my experience with them would be more than enough to buy this or another streaming box.

The UI in STVs seemed to be slow, not user friendly, and outdated. Speaking of being outdated, the apps do not see updates as often or as long as the ATV.

One example from a samsung. When Netflix came out with "profiles", the Apple TV was updated with it almost immediately. The samsung Smart TV has not seen a Netflix update in years.

My parents use the Samsung before I got them an Apple TV. I constantly got phone calls from them about problems with it. I have never received a phone call about Netflix on the Apple TV yet. And I no longer get shows like Quincy MD on my profile recently watched. So another plus.

Reactions: ErikGrim

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I've been at at most senior tech roles in companies for more than a decade, and worked in four small to very large startups in 28 years.... Yes, I am an adrenaline junkie.

So, hey! I've seen my share of crap too (and produced some of my own too ;-) .Nothing brings on the crazy more than piles of money poured unto a interesting but ill defined idea using brand new tech/science. If you're doing all this in crazyland that was Silicon Valley in the late 1990s, you get bonus points and an insanity defense you can use later on...

Anyway, the intersection of tech and business is almost more art than anything. Everything you think you know, invariably turns up wrong in some inexplicable way...

Apple by now is way out of that "awkward" phase :), so they'll be all right.
Nah, I design for and build bridges and buildings - that's the scary part as they're over your head and what you drive over. My favorite line to designers was along the lines of "You can DO that!"

As to Apple and their current "phase", gawd, I hope they're on to growing up a bit too. I'd rather have their checking account in place of mine! :p Cheers!

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
But as of right now, I feel like most 4K content sources are probably being used by AV enthusiasts and pro-types, and not the average consumer.
That might be true now, but most TVs are 4K and prices have come down to a negligible difference. Some brands of 4K models are cheaper than 1080p models.

The shift will happen sooner than you think. 4K is the new standard.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

I put away my locked down ATV ever since I upgraded to a STV. ATV you have to get a streaming server to play anything non-Apple standard.

So who's this product for other than loyalists who can't resist buying another version of an Apple product they don't yet own?

Give it a bit and the smart features of your TV will get worse over time, until the manufacturer doesn't update or support them anymore. You'll either buy another TV or you'll be using a box or some other device.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
That might be true now, but most TVs are 4K and prices have come down to a negligible difference. Some brands of 4K models are cheaper than 1080p models.

The shift will happen sooner than you think. 4K is the new standard.

I am not saying it won't happen, actually I am saying the opposite. But, I do not think Apple will include 4K on their Apple TV4 since the demand, and content supply isn't there yet.

I hope I am wrong, but when everyone had 1080p a few years ago when Apple TV2 came out, Apple put 720p in that.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I am not saying it won't happen, actually I am saying the opposite. But, I do not think Apple will include 4K on their Apple TV4 since the demand, and content supply isn't there yet.

I hope I am wrong, but when everyone had 1080p a few years ago when Apple TV2 came out, Apple put 720p in that.
I have no idea if they will have 4k or not. However, I have heard rumors that the 6s will have 4k video recording (who knows if they are true), so that would give us even more content and another reason to want a 4k TV and 4k AppleTV.

It isn't unusual for Apple to lag behind in the home theater market, so I am not convinced it will be 4k, either. However, if it is $199, I am going to need some very compelling reasons to get a non-4k AppleTV.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
In the US and Canada, you can get your Telephone, TV, and "landline", sometimes even your mobile phone, all from the same company. However what you get for your money is pretty worthless:
- Wireless companies charge 80$/mo. Minimum. If you're paying less, you're getting like 90% less. For this reason people buy Prepaid devices if they don't actively use their phone and don't use data/text messaging. Everyone else gets stiffed with a 40-80$ plan that only differs by being able to call long distance or other people on the same phone carrier.
- Wireline companies charge a minimum of 100$/mo if you want Internet and TV. If you drop either of these, you save a whole 10$. If you add the landline they charge you an additional 40$
- Cable companies charge a minimum of... 100$/mo if you want Internet and TV, and again, if you drop either, you only save about 10$.

And because... Canada... Duopoly. The US is a bit more competitive provided there is more than one carrier, which there often isn't. Just ask Google Fiber. In postal codes where someone offers Fiber... magically the prices are about 1/4 the amount being charged normally.

So if you are a single person, you get screwed for all these services. If you're married or have roommates, you can often divide the cost between everyone and all the "add on" lines for the mobile phone, or cable jacks are an additional 5-10$.

Like if you want to make a killing in investing, invest in companies who have a monopoly on cable service in their markets, but down own any media, because the sky is the limit to what they can charge, and everyone who subscribes has to take the price increases regardless.

Thanks Misaki.

Don't people run into the same issue then? i.e. if you cancel the TV part, and use Apple's offering for TV, then you don't really pay that much less to the cable co.

Expensive as it can be, it still just seems if you want tv, broadband and phone, the cheapest option is still to bundle them all with the same company.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Ouch £100/month? Plus TV license or including? Sounds like you should get on to Virgin and haggle.
I've gone from having the full sky package including sports and broadband for £80/month to just having Fibre with SSE for £24.50/ month and Netflix with free view and 99% of the time that is all I need. Just miss SyFy and Atlantic and the ocasional cricket match.

We have in the past, although ages ago when the didn't have Sky 1 and retentions were getting hammered.

It always sounds a lot, but anytime I look at it, it never seems so bad for what we get.

The two phone lines are about £36.

So about £60 for 152 meg broadband, the top tv package (excluding premium channels), and unlimited calls on the landline.

Any time I look at reducing anything, you hardly save anything - and the tv is a bit sneaky still with the HD channels. Unless you're on the top tier, you lose most of them.

With the Apple TV, it'll be interesting to see the app store and game options - I would never buy a console, but would still love to be able to play the odd game on the tv.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Is it just me or does $149 sound too cheap if we really do get all the features that are rumored? Seems to me the touch screen interface remote alone would almost cost $149. Add in the rumors of some gaming capabilities and stuff..... I just think that if it really goes for $149 there is NO WAY we will see all the rumored features on it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Is it just me or does $149 sound too cheap if we really do get all the features that are rumored? Seems to me the touch screen interface remote alone would almost cost $149. Add in the rumors of some gaming capabilities and stuff..... I just think that if it really goes for $149 there is NO WAY we will see all the rumored features on it.
Touchpad, not touchscreen. Potentially a big difference as the former would be more like a track pad vs a screen.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Touchpad, not touchscreen. Potentially a big difference as the former would be more like a track pad vs a screen.

Ahh that actually makes much more sense. I thought I had read touch screen but I guess not.... And thar does indeed make a big difference.

consoleboi

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Give it a bit and the smart features of your TV will get worse over time, until the manufacturer doesn't update or support them anymore. You'll either buy another TV or you'll be using a box or some other device.

You can say the same things for ATV.

Everything has an EOL. Please don't be brainwashed and buy everything Apple sells :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.