Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Japanese blog Mac Otakara offered information about the next-generation iPad, claiming that the device will be slightly smaller in all dimensions while offering a flat back and modified speaker compared to the current model.

In a new post, Mac Otakara reveals that it has been able to get its hands on a pair of the cases claimed to be for the next-generation iPad that have surfaced in recent weeks. The blog has conducted a comparison of the cases, which include one hard shell and one soft silicone case, using the existing iPad in order to make additional guesses about what the next-generation version might look like. Among the interesting notes:

- The next-generation iPad appears likely to have tapered sides and a flat back, very similar to the current iPod touch. This contrasts with the current iPad, which offers flat sides and a slightly curved back.

161156-ipad_tapered_side_500.jpg
- The tapered sides will require a tweaking of some of the physical features found on the sides of the current iPad. The most visible of these changes is the speaker, whose grille moves to the rear of the device as we've seen in several cases.

- The volume buttons on the side of the next-generation iPad appear to be of the split style with an oblong form factor as seen on the current iPod touch, as opposed to the rocker buttons used on the current iPad and the round split buttons used on the iPhone 4.

- The camera hole in the rear of the cases claimed to be for the next-generation iPad appears to be similar in size to that for the iPhone 4 and larger than that seen with the iPod touch, suggesting that the next-generation iPad could see the higher-resolution rear camera capabilities seen on the iPhone 4.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPad With Tapered Sides and iPod Touch-Like Form Factor?

Patman

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2003
they aren't going to put a usb port on it, they are going to squeeze a 3rd gen out of us with that!!!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Looking close, the new cases are thinner for sure. The current iPad seems to stick above the rim by quiet a bit.

Love the music too! LOL!

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I'd really like an SD Card slot on an iPad since there is more of a focus on sharing photos on it. A USB port would be nice too, but since every camera nowadays seems to use SD cards, I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there.

Honestly, I just want it to be slimmer and lighter, with a Facetime camera. And cheaper too. :D

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Can't wait to see the computing power and applications on the next one. Maybe another month of cases and we'll see Apple finally reveal their iPad 2.0 to get the public ready for sales in March.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
A rare opportunity to state the blatantly obvious raises its head.

Apple has sold 7.46 million of the original iPads already.

Of course the iPad 2 is going to be incredibly awesome, the risk of market rejection is gone and people want tablets.

It's about defining the tablet experience now.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Typing

Just make it so it doesn't wobble when I type and we're good to go.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
they aren't going to put a usb port on it, they are going to squeeze a 3rd gen out of us with that!!!

Yeah, no. They aren't going to add a USB port in a future release. It's really amazing that so many people think the iPad should have one, when there really is no need at all.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
A rare opportunity to state the blatantly obvious raises its head.

Apple has sold 7.46 million of the original iPads already.

Of course the iPad 2 is going to be incredibly awesome, the risk of market rejection is gone and people want tablets.

It's about defining the tablet experience now.

It will be interesting to see what happens at CES. I would think we'll see LOTS of competitors to the iPad. But beyond trying to "out feature" the iPad with hardware differences, it will be interesting to see if anyone does anything really different or unique.

Of course... I hope Apple shows us something unique too. :)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I really dont think a rear facing camera is workable on an iPad, its just too cumbersome to with one hand to take a picture. Definitely think a front facing camera for FaceTime will come though.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I think putting the speaker on the back is just as stupid as on the bottom. Since electronics began, there's a reason why the speakers go on the front - so you can hear them. Apple chooses form over function.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, no. They aren't going to add a USB port in a future release. It's really amazing that so many people think the iPad should have one, when there really is no need at all.

I agree! All we need is a SD card slot and a HDMI out and we are good....but Airplay works for video\pics and audio so we might now see that...but lets hope.

There is HDMI and sort of USB port on the AppleTV...so it is possible.

Prime Mover

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010

No, they are NEVER going to put a USB port in, because that would be redundant. The existing dock *IS* a USB port, with the addition of analog audio and video pins. Putting in a USB port would duplicate the existing port OR take away these integral pins.

Just buy a fricking $15 adaptor and be done with it. You will see more and more of these made by 3rd parties within the next year.

This is like complaining that TVs should put in DVI ports when they have HDMI onboard.

HDMI = DVI + audio.
iPod connector = USB + video + audio.

scottdot

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
New Mexico
I really dont think a rear facing camera is workable on an iPad, its just too cumbersome to with one hand to take a picture. Definitely think a front facing camera for FaceTime will come though.

Right. I consider it similar to Steve Jobs' explanation about why they don't do a touchscreen iMac (arms will get tired, it's awkward, etc). The iPhone and iPod Touch are a small form factor that lend themselves well to being cameras. Holding a giant iPad...not so much. I would be quite happy with just a front-facing camera for FaceTime.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Right. I consider it similar to Steve Jobs' explanation about why they don't do a touchscreen iMac (arms will get tired, it's awkward, etc). The iPhone and iPod Touch are a small form factor that lend themselves well to being cameras. Holding a giant iPad...not so much. I would be quite happy with just a front-facing camera for FaceTime.

You do realize that you undercut your hopes for a front-facing FaceTime camera with your first couple of sentences right? If it's tiring for the arms to take random photos, it's certainly going to be tiresome to hold and steady an iPad to a position that shows your face.

I however do assume Apple will add both front and rear cameras, just to appease the market.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I agree! All we need is a SD card slot and a HDMI out and we are good....but Airplay works for video\pics and audio so we might now see that...but lets hope.

There is HDMI and sort of USB port on the AppleTV...so it is possible.

If you need an SD card slot, you get the adapter.

It also looks like HDMI may not happen either as Apple moves to Apple TV and AirPlay. I'd assume they would go the adapter route as well, if they can pump HDMI signals out of the spare iPod Dock pins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.