Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

073816-iphone_425.png

Digitimes publishes this list of component suppliers for the next generation iPhone that is rumored to arrive in mid 2009. The component list isn't particularly revealing except it reinforces the rumor that Apple will be using a 3.2 megapixel camera from OmniVision in the next generation iPhone. The current iPhone uses a 2 megapixel camera.

Digitime's sources claim that the suppliers will begin shipping in May and the first batch is estimated at around 5 million units.

Article Link: Next Generation iPhone Component Suppliers?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Two cameras or is that just seperate parts? Also didnt see anything about 3G maybe there are egde only models?

One is likely the lens, and the other is the sensor...at least that is my guess.

No mention of the processor yet.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
2 cameras, so we're getting front and back facing cameras (for video calls)? If so- very nice!

But whatever happens I'll certainly be holding off an iPhone until this new model is released.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I wonder if its the same shell, i was kind of hoping for a new shell, a different look.

Wouldn't Apple themselves be the maker of the physical body though? If so, it makes sense they wouldn't list themselves. They do make their own MacBook bodies.

Please no glossy plastic.:p

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
I wonder if its the same shell, i was kind of hoping for a new shell, a different look.

They could be switching back to aluminum and milling their own shells like they did the macbooks, and they just forgot to mention all the aluminum blocks they ordered. (I have no evidence of any of this, I would like it to happen though :D)

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
are there orders for 2 cameras? Could this possibly mean video calling or ichat video perhaps?

JensenJJ

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
I guess no one realized it yet, but that says WCDMA. Looks like iphone is going to non-GSM carriers!

Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) is one of the third-generation (3G) mobile telecommunications technologies, which is also being developed into a 4G technology. Currently, the most common form of UMTS uses W-CDMA as the underlying air interface. UMTS and its use of W-CDMA is standardized by the 3GPP, and is the European answer to the ITU IMT-2000 requirements for 3G cellular radio systems.

To differentiate UMTS from competing network technologies, UMTS is sometimes marketed as 3GSM, emphasizing the combination of the 3G nature of the technology and the GSM standard which it was designed to succeed.

UMTS, using W-CDMA, supports up to 21 Mbit/s data transfer rates in theory (with HSDPA)

pwn247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia, USA
Is it just me or are we looking at two cameras?

Seems like it would make sense to have the 3.2 megapixel camera on the back for picture-taking, and a slightly lower resolution camera on the front for video chatting or something like that.

But then again, if Apple puts two cameras on the device it will turn out to be somewhat clunky and (more or less) a stupid waste. So they're probably saying one is the lens and the other is the sensor. OmniVision makes lenses for professional cinema movie cameras, so that makes sense.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
It does appear to have two cameras on there.

I wonder.... was this just a list they pulled out of thin air, justified with rumors? Or is this an actual list?

Also in the last iPhone/Camera MacRumors article posted we heard this,
"OmniVision has received 3.2-megapixel CMOS image sensor (CIS) orders for Apple's next-generation iPhone, according to market sources. The company is also said to have secured 5-megapixel CIS orders for another Apple product expected to be launched later in the year."

Worth pointing out.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
It does appear to have two cameras on there.
Does it? I think the OmniVision is just making the sensor while Largan Precision is making the lens.

Hopefully even if Apple keeps the same processor it's clocked at iPod Touch 2G speeds and has double the RAM, the latter being the most important.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
did anyone notice that the gps is now an a-gps which is an assisted gps so no more real gps some one correct me if this is wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.