Next-Generation iPhone Said to Feature Upgraded Touch ID With Reduced Errors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 10, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has provided reliable information about Apple's upcoming product plans in the past, claims that Apple's next-generation iPhone will feature an upgraded Touch ID module with reduced reading errors for an improved and safer Apple Pay experience.
    Kuo told investors that he expects suppliers to ramp up for production of the improved Touch ID module shipments, which are expected to rise by 77% to over 260 million units, in the second quarter. The oft-accurate analyst added that the upgraded fingerprint scanner will "require more advanced precision for the module's laser welding process."

[​IMG]
    Sunnic and ASE Kuo are expected to be two of the main suppliers of components for Apple's new Touch ID alongside TSMC. Kuo predicts that Apple will release the next-generation iPhone in the third quarter of this year, lining up historically with past iPhone releases in September.

Kuo also points out that Touch ID embedded into a display is unlikely in the near term, despite several published patent applications from Apple on the topic. With a need for a sapphire display cover to minimize scratching and the complex algorithms needed for handling Touch ID within a display, it will be some time before such technology is ready for market.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Said to Feature Upgraded Touch ID With Reduced Errors

2. Zxxv macrumors 68040

reduced errors?

how the **** will that work?

mines been absolutely prefect.

3. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

4. macintologist macrumors 6502

I don't get it, Touch ID has been working perfectly for me.

5. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

And will it come with a better processor and be thinner and lighter too!?!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That will be a plus, but the list of possible upgrades from the 6 to the 6s seems rather short.

I wonder what else apple can do to keep improving the iPhone (other then making it thinner)

----------

That doesn't mean its working perfectly for everyone.

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The Touch ID fails about 1/10 the time for me, so I'm all for reduced errors.

9. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

Mine's been perfect too. As long as my hand's dry/clean that is - but that's almost always!

10. ehfz macrumors member

Program all slots to one finger.

Ever since I programmed all available fingerprint slots to a single finger (my right thumb) I've never had a single misread or error with Touch ID unless my finger or the sensor is wet. Not saying it should have to be like that but that method does seem to work really well.

11. Schizoid macrumors 6502a

Schizoid

He means in the future, there'll be updated analysts with reduced errors and conjecture

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This just in:

iphone 6s to release in Q3, improved camera, improved touchID, improved GPU, improved CPU.

These analyst are masters of the secrets.

13. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I only registered once. Seems enough. I think some peoples problem is they confuse the system.

14. AbblePC macrumors regular

It has been working flawlessly for me as well, when I actually get the chance to use it.
    Most often the stores around here in central PA, are using old enough POS registers or Pin Pads that can't even do NFC type payments. The ones that do, perfectly registers every time and are typically McDonalds or Subway.

As more stores update their hardware to accept NFC this will be a very common practice of using Apple Pay by many consumers and I love the convenience.

15. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Is that the new iPhone 6s design in the pics? looks nice,

/s

16. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Absolutely. Whilst I accept that I also don’t know of a single person that does have issues with it, (except on the net), it therefore comes as unexpected news. It doesn’t appear to be a widespread issue like battery drain in iOS or buggy finder/dropping wifi in OSX.

17. macintologist macrumors 6502

If it doesn't work then you must be doing something wrong.

18. Keirasplace macrumors 601

Maybe we can just use a Kuo filter to disregard all spurious analysis...

19. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Exactly. New iPhone is even better than the last one? Shocker.

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

touch id used to work every single time but it's gotten worse over the last month or so. I feel like it is ios 8.1.2 related. like it fails 3 times with no matter which finger I try but when I lock it and try again it works on first try all of the sudden

21. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Mine works perfectly, but improvements are always welcome!

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean by putting my thumb on the sensor and it not unlocking :rolleyes:

Sorry but don't blame the user when an apple product is not working perfectly.

Yes its working for you, but assuming that its perfect and working for everyone else is wrong.

23. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

When the iPhone gets Thunderbolt I'll be interested.

...or when the iPhone can, with a single cable, also plug into a powered display to act as my main OS X workstation, & just display iOS on itself, but with both OS's accessing my user data on a shared local partition, without requiring uploading anything to the cloud.

...what we'll be using for devices a century from now.

24. Jeff Meredith macrumors member

Jeff Meredith

Biometrics is good not perfect.

In general it has worked near perfectly for me with a few exceptions. After working out hard and sweating, usually have to enter PIN.

Since it is biometrics, we are all different. I have seen some people have a very hard time with it. Some related to moisture or some related to temperature, either hot/humid or cold. And some it's hard to explain.

So if they can get more data and make it better, it could really help some people out. They should have a calibration test app as well.

25. ParanoidDroid macrumors 6502

ParanoidDroid

What errors? :eek: People just need to start washing their filthy hands! :mad:

Attached Files: